Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Frequency of Satellite signal loss?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequency of Satellite signal loss?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Frequency of Satellite signal loss? Reply with quote

Do those ariels work with TomTom?
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Frequency of Satellite signal loss? Reply with quote

Do you know something, I'm not sure, but anyway, it hasen't made a blind bit of difference!!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Was it the PC-Mobile one you purchased ?
oisky
Regular Visitor

I didn't buy the 'stick' one because it needed to use the (already in use) cigerette lighter. I went for a battery powered one (can't remember the make) The only downside that I can see being that the 'non reciever' end has to physically attatch to the TomTom reciever! I still haven't tested it yet, but will do this weekend and will tell all by Monday!!!
oisky
Regular Visitor

I have the proper TomTom one - I have just sent away for a re-radiating antenna so when that arrives I will tell you all if it made any difference!?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Darren is correct, the TomTom (Leadtek 9531) actually is an aerial itself. If you need to put this outside the car due to windscreen issues, it has a magnetic base and is waterproof so you put the whole receiver outside on top of the car, or you can purchase a re-rad antenna. The Pretec antenna is really only for the Pretec Compact GPS or Pretec LP.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Oisky, do you have the TomTom Navigator GPS Receiver or just the Application? TomTom's receiver is one of the best at maintaining lock. It does not have the facility for an external antenna and I have never seen a need for one.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Oisky, Most cars have rubber door seals to stop water entering into the car. Most of the cables are so thin, you can trap them in a closed door (sometimes works well if you don't use the rear doors to trap it there). It shouldn't break the cable and also the car should still not let in water as these rubber seals have quite a lot of give in them to mould themselves around the cable. You may find other wiring looms that will allow you entry, but trapping it in the top of the door seal is usually the best way I find.
oisky
Regular Visitor

Also, (carrying on from last post) how do you add an external ariel wothout making some sort of hole through to the outside of the car???
oisky
Regular Visitor

In reply to my own mail (!) Do I have to hide the TomTom original reciever from 'satellite' view when I get my re-radiating antenna, or do I let both the new re-radiating antenna AND the TomTom reciever 'see sky'?

Cheers
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

Having used my Pretec (non LP) without an external Ant for a while, and then purchasing one, I would recommend rushing out and getting one (only based on my experience of course). I get a couple more sats, quicker start time, and RARE dropouts. In fact its so good I am considering leaving one fitted to the car and getting another one for hire cars / other cars when travelling. I bought thru Expansys, so paid £35.24, oh well.....

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Cheapest I found @ £24 + vat and shipping was here http://www.mobtech.co.uk/ecbmob/item840.htm

Next was @ 24.67 + vat and shipping here http://www.pccardsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Pretec_GPS_Antenna.html

Nick
oisky
Regular Visitor

Where did you purchase the external antennae?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Even with my pretec-lp cf card I can maintain a signal constantly through London only losing it if I'm going through an underpass or stuck in traffic under a bridge.

I'm using an external antenna which has improved the signal's robustness (so much so that yesterday I still had 3 sats when I was in the middle of a multi storey car park - Park Street in Cambridge - 3 floors from the top).

Before I purchased the external antenna frequent loss of signal (especially in Cities) was a fact of life for me. Perhaps you should try moving the unit?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Every 3 minutes is not good. The only time I tend to lose it is going under bridges and through tunnels driving along the embankment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: