Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is my brand new Fortuna Clip-on crocked before i even use it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my brand new Fortuna Clip-on crocked before i even use it
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrgriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Is my brand new Fortuna Clip-on crocked before i even use it Reply with quote

Just took posession of a brand new Fortuna Bluetooth Clip-on bought from Global Positioning systems in UK but I'm at a loss to tell if its faulty before I've even used it. When I try and charge it using the USB cable supplied that has 2 alternative power connections to go into the Fortuna, the green light on the Fortuna comes on straight away and stays green, rather than the orange that it should be when its charging. Have paired it with a Bluetooth PC with the power cable on in the Fortuna but hasn't found any sats according to the lights on the Fortuna. Any ideas if I'm doing anything obviously wrong or the Fortuna or battery or cable is a dud. Trying to pair with Memory Map software but to no avail. All help appreciated.
John
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Do you know which mode your Clip-On is set to? Is it ST or XT?

I have two Clip-On units and both are kept in ST mode. When I charge them, the power light glows red not orange.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
shinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,
received my unit on Sat & I have the exact same problem & got it from the same place.

In XT or ST mode the battery does not charge.
with the power off & the charger connected no lights come on.
with the power on & the charger connected power light goes green if battery is in or if out.
with the power on & the charger not connected power light goes red for low battery.

I have emailed globalpositioningsystems & Fortuna & will let you know on their response.
please let me know if anyone has a solution
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is not right!

I presume you're trying with one of the chargers you got in the box and the enclosed cable. If so, double check that the battery is inserted with the contacts touching the 'fingers' inside the battery bay, and that there's no plastic packaging covering the battery contacts.

If none of this gets you going, it sounds like you have a faulty unit.

David
shinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

It is the enclosed power adapter & USB lead I'm using, tried in the car, wall & PC but battery won't charge.

No plastic & copper connectors are touching the fingers fine (even tried wiggling the battery)

As John's post states he got the unit from the same place & same time as me I'm inclined to think we've got hold of a fault batch of Clip-On's or batteries
jrgriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shinken,

I've given up and will be talking with Global Positioning Systems tomorrow about arranging a replacement unless they can come up with some staggering explanation for what I'm doing wrong but simply can't get the power light to ever change from green and I know that the battery connections are touching the protruding metal ends in the unit. By the way my battery is from RPC Communications. My next challenge when I eventually get a working Clip-on will be to bond it with my Ipaq 2210 for use with Memory Map. Not looking forward to that as I've heard there are issues with Bluetooth connectivity on Pocket Pc 2003 with Rom Update 1.10 which I've upgraded to. Am I worrying un-necessarily, if not, how do I set up my ipaq to be ready to bond with Clip-on.
shinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortuna said let the battery die & try again which I have but no joy.

after FINALLY getting through to globalpositioningsystems they have requested I send the unit back to them.

I'll do this today BUT WILL state that I've spoken 2 someone with the same problem from the same batch & request they test the unit before sending it out.
jrgriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally got through to GPS after what seemed like an age listening to Radio2 on their hold line ... it didn't take me too long to convince them to take the unit back and send me a NEW replacement ... they even stated that they would refund the cost of my postage for Royal Mail special delivery .... unit should be with them tomorrow and I've asked them to make sure before they send out the new unit that they have tested it to make sure the battery charges and that it can see satellites. They agreed to this. The jury is out on what I think of GPS at the moment ( after sales service questionable - 30 mins to get through unacceptable ) but if they refund and deliver back a working unit ... I'll change my mind
shinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said they'd refund my postage to BUT I FORGOT TO GET A RECEIPT FOR HOW MUCH I PAID !!!

DOHHHHH!!!!!!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about global positioning systems they are one of the best suppliers in the uk IMO - I've had to return at least one piece of kit (out of 4 or 5 purchases) and it was sorted out quickly and easily.

Definately sounds like a crappy batch though - hope the replacements are ok.

Ian
shinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not wrong.
sent it back yesterday & they have sent me a replacemnet to arrive b4 1pm 2moro!

just hope it works
jrgriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit sent back yesterday - arrived at GPS today and new one, has been opened, tested and is on its way to me already ... sounds great but the proof will be in the pudding when I receive it and see if its a sealed unit that I can use with Tom Tom and Memory Map via my ipaq 2210. So far so good ... lets hope I'll be posting success as my next message
shinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new package received 2day & it's charging right now so all looks good.
will test it on the road 2night.

VERY prompt response from GPSystems uk
jrgriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New unit charged fine and after a bit of patience the Fortuna found Sats in both ST and XT mode. Paired the device with my ipaq and PC using memory-map. What a relief when the encircled red dot started flashing over my house on the map. Amazing. Last task will be to pair with Tom Tom but crucially the Fortuna works. Well done to GPS on turning a new unit round so quickly. The icing on the cake will be if they refund my postage as well.
The_Pilgrim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Can you tell me what type of battery is in the units that were faulty as in my experience the only batteries that will charge correctly are the furtuna badged ones.

I recentley purchased nokia phone batteries (blb2) and they will not charge unless you remove the battery cover and slide the battery aprox 2-3 mm across. Confused

Regards

The Pilgrim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: