Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MEDION-Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MEDION-Navigator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twarhurst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: MEDION-Navigator Reply with quote

I Jus Got A MEDION Pocket PC Complete With The Navigator Software And Such..

But The Software That Comes With It Is So Dam Out Dated That It Makes Me Feel I Been Screwed. I Attempted To Contact Medion But No Help From Them.... And There Isnt Any Software Updates Around For It As I Know Off.

Anyone Know Anywhere I Can Update? Or DL New Maps From?

I Seen That Navigon Software On Their Site, But I Jus Paid For This GPS, I Cant Afford To Pay Fro More Software!

Many Thanks In Advance
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here if anyone can help as i have just had mine as a xmas present off me mum and dad. i have not rang them yet as they are shut! But i havnt long moved into a new housing estate and the road isnt on there? ive noticed a couple of other things too that are not on there! so if anyone can please tell us where to get updates or even to buy updated cards thanks

Nathan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital mapping is always out of date to a greater or lesser extent.

What matters most is that the main road network in your maps is up to date. If new or significantly improved main roads are missing, the system can miss out on significantly better routes that it doesn't know the roads for.

The next most important thing are the major roads in your area - even if they're not A roads. If a newly opened main road through an area is missing, again you'll find your system missing out on the best routes.

Small residential streets can take years - literally - to be added to the mapping. A friend of mine lives in a newly built part of Milton Keynes, and anything resembling the road where her and her husband live only appeared in the mapping about two years after it was completed. Even then it was incomplete. Usually such problems can be worked round fairly easily, usually by navigating to the nearest point on the map to the missing road. It's messy not having your home location on the map, but it doesn't usually affect the performance too badly.

Invariably, you get the maps supplied with the system, and that's it - any updates are chargeable, as the digital mapping companies charge the software companies a significant licence fee for shipping updated maps. You have to remember that updating maps costs the digital mapping companies a lot of money.

The industry norm at this time is that you get whatever mapping was supplied with the product when it was first released, so you can get mapping that's up to 18 months out of date if you buy a product that's been on the market for some time. Most products are upgraded about once a year, and the maps may be a few months out of date when the product is released - hence my figure of 18 months. There are still some very good products on the market that don't include M6 Toll or the A43 Silverstone bypass.

It is important to have realistic expectations of all navigation products. It's frustrating that when you first install your new product, details of the maps that are important to you are missing - but they often don't impact the performance of the system significantly.

All navigation systems are only a guide - but over time you usually find you can come to rely on yours to a large extent.

Some of the Medion packages do include older versions of software which can be upgraded to a more recent version of Navigon at reduced price. Unfortunately, I've lost track of all the different offering and exactly what is available in the way of upgrades. If you post exactly what you've got, hopefully someone can advise you.

Another alternative is to buy and install completely different software - though be aware of what I've already said about products being out of date at purchase. This is particularly true of TomTom Navigator 3 - that's still shipping with December 2003 maps. A new version of TomTom Navigator is expected in 2005 - probably the first half of 2005 (previous versions have released in April/May). Navman Smart ST 3 is just becoming available now, but I don't believe the Pocket PC version is available to buy until January - Smart ST 2 has older maps.

There's two suppliers of digital mapping for Europe - TeleAtlas and Navteq. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses - it can be worth finding out a bit about this and how it may affect your choice of product.

David
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that David, Its right what you said really i suppose there is new roads everyday being built, i mean mine does have the M6 toll on there and the siverstone bypass thing so its not that bad. Also like you said i put in the road next to the one i live on which at least gets me to my area again! Thanks again for the information!

Nathan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got both M6 Toll and A43 Silverstone bypass, then your maps are pretty much up to date.

I hope the information is useful - it's a case of making the best of what you've got, and what first seems disastrous can often be worked round. As you said, setting a destination on the next road to the missing one where you live makes the system usable if not perfect.

David
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure does mate! Thanks very much! 8)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth saying that Multimap uses TeleAtlas mapping at some zoom levels for most of the UK - and they tend to be pretty up to date (though there's no guarantee), so it may give you some idea of what may have been fixed in the latest TeleAtlas data.

If you try 1:10000 or 1:5000 zoom levels outside London (in London, you'll get the Collins Bartholomew street atlas), you'll probably be looking at TeleAtlas data. Check - if the copyright at the bottom of the map window says TeleAtlas NV, that's TeleAtlas data.

David
Bigmick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Medion Navigator 4.2 - Aldi Package Reply with quote

re Nathans post with problem on locating his home address:

I'm lucky my road has been here for a while but I found that to get it to take me straight to the door (just playing) if when you are sat on your drive with GPS on then tap on satelite signals received and it will bring up your precise location in Long and Lat and you then have the ability to save this location as whatever you want to call it and presumably if you then go anywhere else that is new then the same applies. Hope this helps.

I have a question others may be able to help with I am looking to add on a POI add-on what is the best one that works with Nav 4.2 if any?

Cheers Mick
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mick,

Quote:
I have a question others may be able to help with I am looking to add on a POI add-on what is the best one that works with Nav 4.2 if any?

The program you need to add POI's to Nav 4.2 is POI-Warner, you can then use also the Safety Camera files from this web site.

http://www.navigating.de/Medion4_en/POI/Index.htm

It costs 29.99 € but works very well.

Regards,

PocketGps

Happy New Year
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mick,

That is the wrong address for the program, try this then choose the correct version for your setup.

http://www.navigating.de/Home_en/index.htm

Sorry about that, need to engage brain before typing.

Regards,

PocketGps
mick777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as missing roads goes, I have Medion Navigator 4 and TomTom 3and they both neglect my road. The actually see it as part of the road that mine comes off of. The both have every road on my estate apart from mine. In fact Navigator 4 actually sees a drive-in road to a couple of houses as a way of getting through to the road the othe side of it (which you can't do) wheras it is not a road at all. I have to use a house around the corner for my home address in Navigator and TomTom. The advantage TomTom has in this respect is that there is the facility to memorise your position and add it to the favourites. I do agree about the software being a bit behind but how do you explain the fact that a road has been left off of the maps when it was built at the same time as the rest of the estate and they are all included?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome

Both the products you mention use TeleAtlas geodata; TomTom Navigator 3's maps are, I believe, older than Navigon 4's.

Sometimes roads aren't fully mapped - you can only report that as a map error. There's some more general comments on map accuracy and system performance here.

David
mick777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason for my road being missing is that whoever maps the roads from TeleAtlas couldn't be bothered to walk around the corner. In fact as my road comes off of the main road through my estate is seems strange that they would miss it especially as they have included much smaller roads. I'm not too bothered though because with TomTom I have used the 'memorize location' utility and used that as my home, albeit it is the wrong road name but it knows where I live. After all that, both pieces of software are good and haven't yet let me down when looking for an address,other than my own.
Robo_Racer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Discrepancies Reply with quote

I noticed when coming off the M25 onto the A1M the blasted thing told me I was joining the A10.... errr wrong junction. Just to check I drove down the A1M and went past the M25 slip road and the blasted thing told me to turn right and join the A10. If I had turned right I would have been in the central reservation!

However, nice bit of kit otherwise

PS Can anyone tell me if the SD slot is SDIO or not? I fear not but wish to use WIFI access point and Im told all SD Cards need SDIO... If not any other solutions for me to connect to net when out on road using this piece of gadgetry?
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that any road which is bracketed gets reported as a 0 eg A1(M) = A10 the software must use some sort of text to speech and is just interpeting wrongly. once you know about it it is no problem, I have also noticed that the map layering for the river overlay is off by about 300yds in parts.

tt go 730T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: