Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FUGAWI RELEASES MAP OF AMERICA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FUGAWI RELEASES MAP OF AMERICA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: FUGAWI RELEASES MAP OF AMERICA Reply with quote

Fugawi Press Release
Quote:
FUGAWI RELEASES MAP OF AMERICA

New Software Brings Dazzling 3D Atlas of America to the Home Computer

Toronto, Canada – Northport Systems, Inc., a leader in GPS mapping software and innovative GPS applications, announced today that it has released FUGAWI Map of America™, a new software program that brings all of the topographic maps of the continental United States to the home computer in one easy-to-use package, at an unbeatable price. The comprehensive application provides map viewing, printing and stunning 3D views, as well as GPS support. FUGAWI Map of America is also the only map software to come complete with pocket versions for both Palm OS™ and Pocket PC handheld devices. With official United States Geological Survey (USGS) maps incorporated, the new software is ideal for any household as a handy U.S. map reference, or for activities such as holiday and travel planning, hiking, mountain biking, mountain climbing, fishing, hunting, off road vehicle travel, and motor-home traveling, as well as a host of educational and professional uses.

FUGAWI Map of America is a complete digital reference that includes land (topographic) maps showing hills, valleys, forested areas, lakes, structures, country roads, and more. Valuable features include: 1:100,000 scale topographic maps - seamless over large areas - of entire continental U.S; map printing at any scale and size; an innovative 3D map display for enhanced exploration of the terrain; support for real-time GPS navigation (with a third-party GPS receiver); support and a place name search with 1.8 million listings; and points/routes plotting capabilities for navigation.

The easy-to-use interface makes it simple for users to display maps, print paper copies and transfer map regions to a Palm or Pocket PC. The FUGAWI software also supports real-time GPS navigation when connected to third-party GPS devices such as products from Magellan®, Garmin®, Lowrance and many others. A powerful GPS waypoint, route and track management features allows users to save and view outdoor adventures on the home computer.

“Never before has comprehensive map data been so affordable and easy to use,” said Sam Rea, president of Northport Systems. “FUGAWI Map of America software is a complete pre-loaded and seamless digital atlas, with universal appeal – there are no cumbersome and time consuming downloads or unlock codes for individual maps. Every household should have a copy.”

FUGAWI Map of America is designed to run on any PC running Microsoft® Windows® 98, 2000, ME, XP or NT4. Minimum requirements include a 500 MHz processor, 256 MB RAM, and a DVD drive.

Price & Availability:
FUGAWI Map of America is currently available at Amazon.com and other leading retailers, and is priced at $49.99. The optional FUGAWI Streets Overlay™ - a complete digital vector street map, which displays on top of the topographic map - can be purchased for $29.00. Also available for $49.99 is FUGAWI Map of America XL™, which is sold by state and contains seamless and high detail 1:24,000 scale maps. For professional use, all FUGAWI Map of America products are compatible with the advanced FUGAWI GPS Mapping Software™, which can be purchased for $99.00.

For more information on FUGAWI Map of America or to learn more about Northport Systems and its entire product line, contact 416-920-9300, or visit www.fugawi.com.

longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a good deal. Does anyone know if the scale will be of any use though? 1:100,000 sounds like there may not be enough detail for hiking. Am I wrong? would footpaths be marked on a map of this scale?

Unfortunately, I cannot find any examples that can be enlarged on the Fugawi site to look for myself.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1:100k maps lack a lot of detail, and they also have varying detail from state to state.

What area are you thinking of in particular? I don't have the Fugawi maps but as they use the USGS map data I should be able to rustle up some samples.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I tend to visit the national parks. Yosemite in California is somewhere I know quite well. It would be interesting to see what kind of detail is available for that area.

I asked Fugawi for a sample screen print of any US area and they were unable to provide one!!! Great customer support Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your help.

Ian
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Ian, here are some map samples:

Yosemite Village these are USGS maps downloaded from the Internet:

1:250k

1:100k

1:24k

The next are of the Indian Village of Supai in the Grand Canyon. Again these are USGS maps, but this time they are sourced from Memory-Map.

1:250k

1:100k

1:24k

Fugawi will import the USGS maps (known as DRGs) which are available free for a lot of the US, but they are a little difficult to locate.

You may also like to look at Memory-Map who have just released the whole of the USA on 250k, and individual states at 250,100 and 24k. All include a Gazetter and Elevation data and 3D viewer.

Another option would be Maptech with Pocket Navigator and Outdoor Navigator, and they also have a MapSet for Pocket Navigator or Memory-Map, which has the US National Parks. Again I havent tried but it may be possible to import the National Park map data into Fugawi.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that was extremely useful. I think that the 1:100K is useful and good value for basic planning but 1:24K seems to be essential where any hikes are going to be attempted. I suppose I should have guessed that from the O.S. maps but having never seen USGS maps, I didnt know for sure.

Its interesting that you included the Havasupai reservation. That is one place I would love to visit before I pop my clogs! Not an easy place to get to though I believe. If you have been there I would like to discuss it (I realise its not directly related so feel free to PM me if you have?)

I will look into the packages you mention in more detail.

Thanks.

Ian
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been to Supai yet but that is going to change this year 8) .

I am suprised that you actually recognised it, most people dont.

Watch this site for a full report GPS related of course.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: