Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Motorbikers GPS - database of rides?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorbikers GPS - database of rides?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonandel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Motorbikers GPS - database of rides? Reply with quote

I'm interested (like half the population this year) in buying a GPS - but I have some speicifc needs related to motorcycling. I'd appreciate any info or light you may be able to shed.

What I want to do is be able to head out on my bike (Fazer 1000 by the way) and if necessary turn on the GPS to show turn-by-turn If I really need to, as well as show me (when I stop!) where I am.
I suspect what I'll do is set a destination to head for - but fully expect
the software to recalculate the route - which I can ignore or not, depending upon whether I like the roads I see or not.

I may end up in completely the wrong (ie not what I set out for) place -
which is fine. I (again) expect to be able to maybe select a nice restaurant or pub to stop for lunch/refreshments.

I then want the ability to (when I realise I need to get back home 'cos I told the family I'd be home at a certain time) get the GPS to show me the quickest/best route home.

I understand all this is pretty basic stuff - but the killer requirement I
have is to be able to record where I've been (the road route)- playing the routes back when I'm at home, and making up a database of 'biking routes'.

I see that TomTom has a 'record' feature - but (like most of the GPS info on their website) is very limited in explaining what you can do with it. I've even borrowed a friends Garmin GPS (no road/route info), and tried to download that into MS Autoroute - but to no avail (it doesn't actually recognise it - and I don't know if it'll be able to 'convert to a road route')

Anybody any ideas ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

First question is, do you use a tankbag or map pocket?

I have always had one or the other and have used my Garmin and both iPAQs (not at the same time!) in them. If I didn't use one or the other, I'd be more inclined to use the my Garmin GPS V as it is waterproof. I know you can get waterproof bags to go over the iPAQ, but that's just the way I'd do it.

Some brief thoughts are below.

The Garmin is a GPS, if you want to use Tomtom you'll need a PPC and a GPS.
The Garmin is waterproof, the iPAQ needs something like an AquaPak.
The Garmin is tied to Mapsource software, the iPAQ can use different applications.
The Garmin keeps a breadcrumb trail of your route automatically, with (most?) iPAQ software you have to turn it on/off.
Both will plot routes and re-route automatically if you tell them to.
The Garmin can't make use of the $afety Camera database, some iPAQ software can.

If you get Oldie's POI Log converter from the Downloads section on this site then you can convert your Garmin log into Autoroute format and import it into Autoroute, by the way.

BTW, Triumph are offering a Garmin GPS with the new Sprint ST for an extra £900. Click here for a look. I think it's a StreetPilot 2620, which is what I'd recommend for you if you go the Garmin route.
Jonandel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

I don't use a tankbag or mappocket at the moment. I have a tank pocket but typically dont use it favouring a rucksack...).

Anyway, I'm more intersted in getting the functionality first, then figuring out how to mount the device...

I'm encouraged by your reply - as a local GPS company recently told me that most GPS systems (PDA or discrete TBT devices) don't keep any kind of log of the route travelled ! He went on to tell me the only way I'd be able to get that function was to buy a device which didn't do Turn-by-turn.

I like the idea of one of these integrated GPS and PDA devices - but it's not completely neccessary - I have an iPAQ, but never use it.
I'm more interested in say a NavMan iCN510 - or similar dedicated device. (and I'm planning on putting in a an aquasac if neccessary - or making my own holder).

But this device and the Garmin equiv. (which I don't like as much - the screen isn't quite as large/clear). neither say they are able to keep a breadcrumb route log.
Any ideas if they do ?

I'd steered away from these, and more towards TomTom (ie a PDA and simple GPS, or integrated device etc) - just because I hear TomTom does allow a record feature (got that info from this site!).
Reading other posts about POI and route/waypoint info seems to be somewhat of a minefield - I'm still not sure if the convertion of the GPS info into a route in Autoroute (or other map software that would come with the units) is going to be easy. a Series of push pins on a long ride, wont be particularly useful...And then, even if I convert into a 'route' - how do I save it ?

The final point is (again!) back on the dedicated GPS systems with TBT - they seem to have a much longer battery life. I really am going to need 7 or 8 hours of continual use for it to be useful....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: