Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New CCTV cars to catch drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New CCTV cars to catch drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: New CCTV cars to catch drivers Reply with quote

Hello members,

Whilst I am not a paying subscriber to the Speed Camera section I would still like to 'sow the seeds' of discontent in respect to another ever increasing method our UK police are using to 'catch out' us poor unfortunate motorists and drain our pockets of cash. Namely, CCTV Smart cars with ANPR ( Automatic Number Plate Recognition ) and automatic fine processing and delivery to your door via the friendly postman. These particular CCTV cars have become ever more evident over the last three years at regular spots in my home town of Rochdale UK.

So what's the big deal many would rightly ask? They're not speed cameras? No they are not, however, the deal is they still automatically fine the motorist £60 and issue 3 automatic penalty points on the unsuspecting drivers license if they happen to be eating at the wheel or momentarily distracted; for example. I don't know how widespread these vehicles are, or indeed whether the police intend to increase their numbers, but one thing I do know, "a cash cow" is a "cash cow" and that's enough incentive for continuance.

I therefore ask, dependent upon the level of hard data from our members in respect to CCTV cars, wouldn't it be worthy of creating a locations database of these blighters and adding it within the "Speed Camera" category releases? Obviously this will take dedication, effort and feedback, but surely the rewards will be worthy of that effort.

The BBC News here in the UK made an issue of these "trial" CCTV cars back in 2009 and if our moderators allow me to link to their online publication, here it is for all to read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7994449.stm

Kindest regards to all,

John

PS. For everyones use here is the location of our regular CCTV car:-

OS X (Eastings) 388667
OS Y (Northings) 411891
Nearest Post Code OL11 4NW
Lat (WGS84) N53:36:12 (53.603457)
Long (WGS84) W2:10:22 (-2.172737)
LR SD886118
mX -241867
mY 7060992

MAP LOCATION LINK;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=388667&y=411891&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Last edited by johntee on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather they are mainly used for tax and insurance evasion detection. Which is perfectly fine by me - the more the merrier!

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with MaFt - the more the merrier. If as the OP suggests they can also be used to catch people eating at the wheel or being otherwise 'momentarily distracted' (perhaps by using their phone whilst driving?) then that's fine with me.

The more methods that they can devise to get drivers who are dangerously inconsiderate to other road users off the road the better.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for NOT including these in the database. Just like other ANPR cameras are NOT included.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: CCTV cars to catch drivers Reply with quote

Hello again,

MaFt wrote:
From what I gather they are mainly used for tax and insurance evasion detection. Which is perfectly fine by me - the more the merrier!

MaFt

I couldn't agree with you more if they are used in the appropriate manner and applaud authorities who use them so. It really infuriates me when I see drivers using their mobiles or not wearing seat belts, or driving untaxed or uninsured, literally putting 'two fingers' up to the lawful guidelines set out for all our benefits.

The worrying thing is when local councils use these CCTV Cars in 'juicy' roadside 'Hotspots' in a revenue generating mode. I seem to remember when our beloved "Speed Cameras" were introduced at accident black spots to help curb reckless speeding, but thereafter placed everywhere as an obvious 'money spinner.' That deviates radically from their initial intent and therefore I cannot agree with such.

There is also media covered evidence that my latter mentioned concerns on potential misuse are manifesting themselves around the UK. A search of Google will highlight some of these with one council admitting to collecting 46 fines a day from these cars alone. One may ask whether all these fines were justified, apparently not, for some are challenged and quashed.

For example, a Mr Hanachi, of Templar Drive, Thamesmead, says he was fined £120 by the council last year when he stopped on double yellow lines to let someone cross the road. He appealed the decision and the fine was quashed. Should it even have got that far?

Many other motorists just pay the reduced early payment rate of these 'fines because they cannot afford the time or legal council to challenge them'

It should be apparent from above what my concerns are about. Therefore am I correct in assuming that monitoring of the CCTV Cars placement and their useage on our highways is not really an issue in PocketGPS's eyes at the moment?

Many thanks for your replies and constructive opinions.

Kindest regards, as ever,

John in the UK
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it's not and to be honest I can't see us adding them anyway.

They could, I suppose, be added as regular POIs but that would be up to Richards to decide if they were added.

MaFt
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: New CCTV cars to catch drivers Reply with quote

Hello again MaFt,

MaFt wrote:
At the moment it's not and to be honest I can't see us adding them anyway.

They could, I suppose, be added as regular POIs but that would be up to Richards to decide if they were added.

MaFt

Thanks once again for your feedback. On a personal level I shall continue to add the CCTV Cars locations on to my own TomTom database. I am not an intentional or persistant lawbreaker but a "scream" about them from my TT25 may potentionally save me a few quid and stop me becoming a 'criminal' .

Best wishes to all,

John in the UK Wink
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Clap Agree with you

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: