Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map v314 - Should i be v390? and how??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map v314 - Should i be v390? and how??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Map v314 - Should i be v390? and how?? Reply with quote

My Tomtom Go is

version 4.420,
GPS v1.21
Boot 1.35
Great Britain Navigator Map v314

How do i update this to v390 map which some of you have? Also are the other numbers (GPS v, and Boot ) all up to date? Rolling Eyes

I have been away and just need my Go, bringing up to date....

Thanks in advance... :D
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what version was shiped with your Go in the first place.
There has been a lot of debate regarding this matter.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13165
Your cd may contain a different version from your SD card. It appears to be pot luck what people receive.
Mine is 3.14
Hope this helps
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS and Boot versions have not changed to date.

Map version V390 started shippling around October. Much heated debate over why Tom Tom would not update unfortunate souls like me who bought "old stock" to the new version maps.

V390 definitely fixes a known bug with the new M6 Toll road. Other improvements, if any, are unknown to me.

The bottom line is ... if you version 390 on your CD you are in luck... install it. If you have V314 then you are officially stuck with V314 with no upgrade path until TT issue an official upgrade in 2005. This will be at a charge as yet unspecified.

Using someone elses V390 CD is possible but apparently software piracy !
I make no comment on that for fear of upsetting the forum moderators.

Another forum also have plenty on this matter so do a search on Tom Tom Go using Google.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with people posting links to other forums, and I suspect other moderators and Team members will have no problems. I've posted some myself when relevant! However, there is one caveat which I'll mention later.

TomTom have indicated to Dave that upgrading an existing Go customer would incur a licence fee to TeleAtlas, which is why they can't countenance a Go user who has 314 maps on both their CD and SD card copying a later map from elsewhere, nor can they post out updated CDs free of charge on request. TomTom do not own the map data - they licence it from TeleAtlas, and have to pay royalties to TeleAtlas. Don't forget that TeleAtlas' revenue pays for mapping data to be updated amongst other things!

It seems that some people have 314 on their SD card and something later on their CD - in which case it's quite legal to install the later map from the CD. Meanwhile, if it's any consolation, TomTom Navigator 3 users on the Pocket PC are stuck with 281 maps which are older than even the oldest Go maps. The Navigator 3 maps don't have M6 Toll in them at all - this is true even for the latest packs that have a 3.07 update CD included and are stickered as suitable for the new WM2003 Second Edition Pocket PCs.

I'm sure that, in time, there will be an upgrade available, and TomTom's upgrade charges and policies have historically been some of the most reasonable in the industry. Whilst I understand the frustration of some people at the current situation, in time everyone should have the chance to move on to later maps should they wish to do so. Meanwhile, no digital map, however recent, is perfect.

I hope this not only helps but that it seems fair. If a company that licenses software indicates that certain behaviour is contrary to the licence agreement, we can't be seen to assist people circumventing licence agreements or copy protection systems by allowing information to be posted on those things ruled outside the licence agreement by the vendor.

This is the caveat I mentioned earlier - we can't allow links to other forums if those links point to discussion of circumventing licence agreements or similar.

David
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Software and other stuff... Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the detailed reply and your comments on links to other Forums. I was unsure if etiquet allowed me to link to a "commercial competitor" so didn't risk it. I was of course referring to the Expansys forum which, like yourselves offer an excellent point of contact for TTG owners.

I can confirm that Expansys also refuse to allow any post that encourages software licence infringement for the reasons given by yourself.

I may be wrong, and it is only my opinion, but I feel that Tom Tom have mishandled the TTG lauanch and support.

To date we have had the following "mistakes"

1. No carry cases supplied so "back ordered" with substantial delays

2. Inability to Register on Tom Tom Site to order misssing case or register Tom Tom Go.

3. Lack of availability of the external antenna

4. Very confusing comments from TT customer support on the Map version issue. This caused much bad feeling which could have been very easily avoided by a concise statement such as you have provided.

5. Free fascias offered to some TTG owbers but no explanation why not for others.

Tom Tom need a new PR officer to look after their public face. It needs some work.

Fraser
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(For anyone that hasn't realised, the words in slightly smaller type in this and other posts are usually links - feel free to point and click!)

Contrary to some posts in the Expansys forums, unless I am very much mistaken we're not owned by any of the GPS retailers. Dave has posted publicly in the past that he now works for one of the retailers in this post, and I don't believe he's left that job. Maybe Dave's job is why the confusion crept in.

As you can see if you look over to the right, this site is sponsored by a number of companies - all but one of which would be our competitors if we were owned by one of the GPS retailers. As I write this reply I see adverts there for seven companies that could be termed retailers - the other ads are for equipment manufacturers. There's also Google banner ads at the top.

I'm not a director, shareholder or, indeed, employee of PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd, and I don't know precisely how the site is funded, though it stands to reason that at least some of the costs are defrayed by the, in my opinion, relatively unobtrusive adverts. It can be quite useful to suggest to people that they check out the offers from the companies at the right if they don't know where to start.

There's a little glimpse into the funding of the site here. Indeed, in that post, Dave reveals that up until October 2003, shortly before he was made redundant, he paid the bills for Pocket GPS World personally - something I hadn't realised until now.

What I can say quite openly is that I'm under no pressure to post links to certain companies and not post links to others. Having criticised Expansys both in their forums and in these forums for supplying me with a Malaysian specification iPAQ (which led to a thread in the Expansys hx4700 forum entitled "Pocket GPS have a dig at Expansys" even though I was very careful to remain objective and factual in both forums, as well as posting nothing that identifies any of Expansys' competitors in the Expansys forums), I've since recommended the WriteSHIELD AG product several times, often with a link to Expansys who are the UK agents for the manufacturer, Pocket PC Techs. I also ordered some accessories from Expansys last week.

The moderators are all unpaid volunteers - we get very little from this other than the satisfaction of helping others. Sometimes we get a lot of hassle - but we also get people's thanks, which is always appreciated. The only freebie I've had is my Pocket GPS baseball cap (though it is a very nice baseball cap!).

Whilst I have a few more buttons on my forum pages than you, which allow me to do things like move and edit posts as well as locking thread, I don't use them for a power trip - just to help the discussion along, and I use them as sparingly as possible. Most of the time, the only thing I do is edit people's posts when they've got the BBCode tags wrong. I'm just an ordinary forum member who, after about 2000 posts, was invited to become a volunteer moderator.

In my time, I've moderated some much more controversial discussion than on navigation systems and GPS. Moderating in those controversial areas (in this case, discussion lists for people affected by certain medical conditions where feelings can run high) is not much fun but someone has to do it. Certainly arguments are not my idea of fun - I am very seriously ill and have very limited energy. I'd far rather spend what energy I have on something that's constructive, such as helping people here! The other moderators and the Team all lead busy lives.

There is a certain irony in someone moderating a forum on navigation systems who's semi-housebound. I have yet to find the ideal way to use my equipment in my power chair, but I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually! I keep meaning to fit the chair with a 24V to 12V convertor connected to some cigarette lighter sockets so that I can connect up some of my gadgets. The chair runs off a couple of 12V gel batteries connected in series.

Speaking personally, I think you make some very valid comments about TomTom. TomTom have responded to creative criticism in the past - for example, the result of my 'open letter' about the flawed address lookup in TomTom Navigator 3 version 3.01 was that TomTom responded to the complaint and implemented an effective software fix.

Product shortage issues have happened in the past - some people had long waits for Navigator 3 upgrades, for example.

As for the map version statement, I'm just reiterating what's in this post of Dave's, which is in the thread that Ugly-Kid-Joe linked earlier in this thread. If that helped to clear things up, I'm glad - though my thanks to Ugly-Kid-Joe for pointing to a particularly clear part of one of the many threads on the map version issue.

David
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply David, appologies for the error regarding the status of this forum and it's moderators... I honestly thought the site was owned and operated by a retailer (like the Expansys one)........ that will teach me not to pay attention to the adverts etc around the edges.

Your own story is very interesting and I am sure all the other forum members appreciate the time you take to moderate the posts. As you say it can sometimes be a difficult and thankless task.

All the best

Fraser
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
There is a certain irony in someone moderating a forum on navigation systems who's semi-housebound. I have yet to find the ideal way to use my equipment in my power chair, but I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually! I keep meaning to fit the chair with a 24V to 12V convertor connected to some cigarette lighter sockets so that I can connect up some of my gadgets. The chair runs off a couple of 12V gel batteries connected in series.

Could you not just run the lighter socket from just one of the batteries? I don't imagine the appliances take too much power as long as you leave the travel hairdrier behind :-) ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could - but it's not the best practice, and differential discharge of the two batteries may be significant if I run a laptop for a few hours. There's also no easy way of getting to one battery - if I take 24V, I can do so via a (easily removable from the chair) XLR plug in the charger socket. 12V from one battery would require somehow adding wiring to the post terminals of one of the batteries.

A further advantage is that a good isolated 24V to 12V converter provides a fair measure of protection to the connected equipment.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: