Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsonic for Tungsten T5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsonic for Tungsten T5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patbuttigieg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Mapsonic for Tungsten T5 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Mapsonic 1.3 works with the Tungsten T5?
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest if i had a T5 i wouldnt consider using mapsonic. i have a T2 so i am limited to this software but there are too many bugs and limitations.

i recommend you try finding out whether the T3 version of TomTom will work on the T5.
karyal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty2767 wrote:
to be honest if i had a T5 i wouldnt consider using mapsonic. i have a T2 so i am limited to this software but there are too many bugs and limitations.

i recommend you try finding out whether the T3 version of TomTom will work on the T5.

It does, but with some limitations (i'm in Italy , so i speak about the version sold here)..
One is phisical.. the T3 and T5 plugs are different, thus you cannot plug the T5 into the craddle.
It DOES hold the T5, but you cannot use the cradle to power it, you have to run on batteries. Beside that it runs fine..

The other problem is that the software gets confused by having two "external" memories.
I wasn't able to run TomTom from the SD included, i had to install it into the internal memory card (please note, not the internal PDA memory. on the T5 you have the usual 64 megs internal memory and a secondary internal memory of 161 megs , plus you can use the SD)

If you put the maps (full italy is 188 megs) on the SD , the software cannot reach it.
If you put the maps on the "internal" 161 megs memory, its works, but i doesn't fit ..
I have to use th 64 megs blocks...

Hope it helps
Ricky
patbuttigieg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I have decided to go for the T3 with my current Mapsonic for now. Viamichelin technical tell me that it does not work with the T5 (yet) and it seems not interested in putting on a patch to make it work.
Even the new version of Mapsonic does not work properly on the T5. I am considering giving up this software and move on to TOMTOM which seems to get better support.
karyal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patbuttigieg wrote:
Thanks for your input. I have decided to go for the T3 with my current Mapsonic for now. Viamichelin technical tell me that it does not work with the T5 (yet) and it seems not interested in putting on a patch to make it work.
Even the new version of Mapsonic does not work properly on the T5. I am considering giving up this software and move on to TOMTOM which seems to get better support.

Mapsonic works too.
I had the Kirrio Tungsten E kit before, i sold it for the T5 + TOM TOM bluetooth T3 kit, but before giving it away i made some tests with the T5.
I've always had a "not enough memory" problem on the TE when using maps bigger than 200MBs.
This was not a terrible problem for me, as in 200 megs you could either hold all north + 1/4 central Italy (all north and central up to Florence), or the whole central + southern italy.
It's no big deal, from where i am it means i have a map that covers about 5 hours of travel, i can afford to take a break and swap maps.. But i was curious to see if the T5 could handle it (the whole italy map with Mapsonic is about 480MB!)
It couldn't handle it either, but i can tell you that the bluetooth receiver you get with the T3 tom tom kit works with Mapsonic too..

I'm not suggesting you to go for the T5 (the T3 surely has a better support as it's not so "new")

But both TomTom and Mapsonic work on the T5, although with the limitations i said.
Bye,
Ricky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: