Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could do with some HELP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could do with some HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NU2GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Could do with some HELP Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I've just signed up tonight and could do with some advice.

Lots of my colleagues have Pocket PC based GPS systems as we travel around the UK, so I took the plunge and now I'm hooked.

I have a iPAQ 3630 which is running PPC 2002, so I contacted Global Positioning Systems who were very helpful and I then purchased – Tom Tom 3 and SysOn CF Memory GPS with 256MB (this is a great device I recommend it) as I already have an iPAQ CF Jacket. This combination works very well, I also downloaded checkPOInt ver 2.0 and used POI Edit to sync POI’s.

Unfortunately, I always have to try and improve things! Rolling Eyes so I purchased a second hand iPAQ 5450 on E Bay I then downloaded checkPOInt ver 3.2 I sync’d it and it works but it is so SLOW! So slow that I’ve gone back to checkPOInt ver 2.0. Also the speaker on the 5450 is very poor.

So do I go back to my iPAQ 3630 with its better speaker or get a holder with a built in speaker, but I do like the screen on the 5450 and I thought the extra processing power would be useful, and why is checkPOInt ver 3.2 so slow am I doing something wrong.

If any of you can make recommendations regarding my set-up please do.

By the way I’ve been visiting Pocket GPS World for sometime now and your forum and reviews have been of great help.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speaker on the 3630 is indeed much better than the one on newer iPAQs. I would recommend you dedicate the 3630 to car navigation and use the 5450 for other PDA tasks.

What OS is running on the 5450? WM2002 is not optimized for the Xscale - you need WM2003 to get at least some benefits of the newer processor. Also, make sure you also install all the latest ROM updates and SDIO drivers - those have a big impact on performance.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NU2GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help,

My 5450 is running PPC 2002, looks like I should up-grade to 2003.

But can you advise me if checkPOInt ver 2.0 or 3.2 are best to use or is there another programme I should be looking at.

Your help is always appreciated Laughing
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard you should use 2.0 with WM2002. But I'm no expert - maybe someone else can comment.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP are about to discontinue the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade kits - in the UK they're being discontinued next month, so if you want one, order it soon. Unfortunately they're much more expensive in the UK than in the US (around 40 pounds in the UK as opposed to 25 dollars - some 15 pounds - in the US). Make sure you order the correct kit - they're specific to the model and language of the Pocket PC.

CheckPOInt 3.x downloads a tremendous amount of material if you synchronise with POIplace, and once you've entered synchronisation details, I found it impossible to get rid of them without a hard reset.

Though I don't really use CheckPOInt (preferring GPSAssist), I found that 2.0.2 was far better for use with the Pocket GPS World POIs.

You can easily uninstall CheckPOInt 3.x and replace it with 2.0.2 to see if that helps any.

David
NU2GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for all your help I’ve decided to go back to iPAQ-3630, I forgot just how quick it is and I’ve installed checkPOInt ver 3.2 it’ a bit slow to start up but works OK.

I’m also going to up-grade my 5450 to Pocket PC 2003 and see how that works out.

I now realise that this should have been posted in a different section of the forum, hey but I’m learning.

I’ll end this with a final THANKS, as I’m off to Switzerland and Germany on business.

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: