Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another newbie having problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another newbie having problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Another newbie having problems Reply with quote

Hi
In need of advice, had a look round but cant quite find all the answers. Embarassed

Bought a TT HP rz 1710 pda Navigation pack with TT3 voice navigation system + TT3 software (bought this off ebay)

Now, as far as I am aware the navigation works well, though I may be wrong in thinking that this set up should come with Major European roads, ours just covers UK, will have to buy bigger memory card to store maps as we want to use it driving through France.

This system should have come with speed camera software, which is where my difficulties begin.
The seller emailed the software AAAspeed_cameras.zip and AAAcheckpoint_ppc2002_202.zip. I followed his instructions but to no avail. He then sent tomtom_go_zip, again to no avail.

At the onset Tomtom loaded automatically, so we tried loading off the disc yet to no avail, nothing seems to work
On my desktop computer:-
TOMTOM: reads "Current Map"= dat file,
Great Britain Map" = Great_britain_24813ff3.mac, mac file.....
TOMTOMGO" reads:w = uk_gatso_database, uk_gatso_picture.

Now, with the Tomtom, Tomtomgo, checkpoint and speed cameras on my desktop computer they all seem to be encoded yet on my pocket they all read "There is no application associated with....... run this application first then open this file from within the application.

We now have Tomtom under "My device" this includes: Wzd. go1108m, tttoday and tttodayvga.
In sd card we have "tomtom" which includes current map and great britain (cant open either) and we have "Great britain" which has tomtomgo, checkpoint, speed cameras and lots of other things yet cant open any of them they all say "There is no application associated with....... run this application first then open this file from within the application.

Sick of banging our heads against a brickwall, has anybody got any ideas please? Confused
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the TT3 CD, if so, why not try a hard reset and load TT from scratch using activesync.....? You can always do a back-up first and save it to your card.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've got a HP Navigation Pack, which does not contain TomTom Navigator 3. Instead, it contains a TomTom NavCore based system - which is, in many ways, more up to date than TomTom Navigator 3, but does not work with add-on software like CheckPOInt.

If you have got this software, you need to use the POI warning features built in to the software.

David
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

His post says he has TT3 voice navigation system + TT3 software.

Steve.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's mistaken as he says he's got the HP Navigation Pack. There's been a few posters recently thinking that they have got Navigator 3 as part of this pack, then realising that there's differences between the software they have and Navigator 3. If anyone says they've got an iPAQ rz1710, the HP Navigation Pack is a possibility (it's only available as a bundle with the rz1710).

The best way to make sure is to get the "About" display up - which should be found in one of the menus. If the version is 4.something, it's the HP Navigation Pack / TomTom NavCore program. 3.something is TomTom Navigator 3.

TomTom have just released Navigator 2004 in the United States - which is the same NavCore based program with new US maps. It may be time to discuss between the moderators and Team whether we need a new forum for Navigator 2004 / HP Navigation Pack users as there are differences.

It's clear that the version 4 platform will be the way ahead - the whole point of NavCore is that it's a common platform. It runs on Palm OS (Navigator for Palm OS), Linux (TomTom Go), Microsoft SmartPhone and Symbian Series 60 (TomTom Mobile) and Microsoft Pocket PC (HP Navigation Pack and TomTom Navigator 2004 in the US).

Supposedly TomTom only went ahead releasing Navigator 3 on the Pocket PC because development was so far advanced - otherwise it would have been switched to NavCore. There never was a Navigator 3 USA product - the USA maps that are now available for Navigator 3 users are an add-on for people who already have Navigator 3 and are, according to Lutz, the same maps that were issued with Navigator 2 USA in Navigator 3 format.

NavCore is gradually getting the missing features added in - in particular, various NavCore based platforms now have Traffic support - but there are differences. To date, there has been no support for add-on programs in any NavCore based platform, and it seems that programs written using the Navigator SDK on the Pocket PC don't work with NavCore versions of Navigator on Pocket PC.

David
maxg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies.

So, in laymans terms: I have bought a system that stated tomtom nav 3 yet in fact it is navcore (I have checked and it is 4 something)
With this system I cannot use checkpoint nor the speed camera datadbase that nav 3 uses.

So, will I have to wait until 4 comes out until I can use this system properly?

I download TT POI edit and have speed cameras in TT now but edit always says that it cannot find folder pocketgps_uk_gatso etc???????? Will my poi be updated without this?

also in "my device" I have a very long list of pocketgps_uk_gatso, redlight etc. Can I move these to another folder as they are taking up memory space.

Its not as easy as you think is it? We only bought the unit because we are driving from Uk to Andorra soon.

Finally may I point out that I am a "she" and not a "he" :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for the assumption on your gender - sometimes it's a case of assigning one arbitrarily as English doesn't cope well otherwise.

There is no guarantee that there will be Navigator SDK support in any future version of Navigator. The Navigator SDK works with the old Pocket PC only Navigator code, but hasn't, so far, worked with NavCore based code. That said, I think there'll be some uproar if whatever supersedes TomTom Navigator 3 doesn't have SDK support.

However, don't despair - the software you have has a built in POI proximity warner unless I'm very mistaken. Unfortunately I can't tell you where to find it. In other words, you don't need CheckPOInt to warn you about cameras - there's a feature that will do this built in to the program you have.

The POIedit error can be caused by POIedit getting confused as to the current state of ActiveSync. If you make sure ActiveSync is connected and has finished synchronising, then attempt to synchronise with Pocket GPS World, things should work. If they don't, choose the Reconnect option on the File menu in POIedit - and try again.

David
maxg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have mucked it up now Embarassed

Heres what Ive sussed out, amazing what a bit of detective work will do 8O actually its easy, all the info is there infront of me Embarassed

On my e drive it reads TT navigator, on the disc 4 (installation disc) it reads TomTom Navigator HP Edition (4.40 is there too if it means anything). the installation programmes are:- TomTom, GPS, Today, English-Jane. On the sd card it reads TT Navigator Hp edition Great Britain.

The sd card came pre-loaded which was fine. Then in an "unwise" move I decided to back up this info and load programme from disc.

Since learning what I have, I decided to go back to the beginning and restore the earlier programme, unfortunately this info has somehow been lost, its nowhere on my pc, believe me ive tried to find it :x

So now Im left with the installation off disc 4 which seems more basic than the pre loaded programme (I remember hearing an american voice navigating when we first tried it in the car).

Do you know what version I have now installed (am I right in thinking that I have navigator 4.40)? is there anyway of getting the sd preloaded version from anywhere? or am I as well to just leave it all alone as it seems to be working fine? with what I have could I download programmes such as trafficcam? with what I have loaded can I still use updates?

Still slightly confused by it all Confused but I seem to be getting there slowly.

One more ? Confused Why would the person that I purchased unit from send me TTgo as an attachment when I told him sd card was pre loaded, not that it makes any difference now as Ive lost that programme, just curious
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have access to the HP Edition software, so some of the questions I can't answer.

I wonder whether the differences are just a different set of voice files. Certainly TomTom Navigator 3 has both UK English and US English voice files. The differences are more than just accent - for example, UK English says "motorway" and "roundabout", US English says "freeway" (I think) and "rotary" (sure of that one).

Trafcam relies on the SDK, so won't work with your version of Navigator.

The Go files you were sent were, I think, simply the vendor trying to send you something that worked seeing as the Navigator 3 files didn't. They're of no use to you anyway.

David
maxg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. Going to leave it alone now as it seems to be working well.

One more query though Wink I cannot find any info anywhere as regards software compatibility for our hp pack.

We are soon to be driving from uk to andorra (main reason for purchasing unit).

Would like major roads of europe but i can only find this relating to TTgo, dont want to waste anymore money buying it if its not compatible. We have GB map (activated) and France map (not yet activated) on sd card but am concerned if we activate france we will lose GB.

Thanks again, your replies have really helped
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom activations should be cumulative. Certainly with Navigator 3, you can keep on activating extra products on your machine if you have the appropriate product codes. For example, if you activate the Navigator 3 USA maps on Navigator 3 Great Britain, both the USA and Great Britain maps will work.

I can't see that TomTom have changed this for the HP pack, though I have no direct experience.

David
Gavwad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am relatively new here, and have recently purchased the rz1710 with TomTom Navigation pack.

When I bought it, I received four CD's containing various maps on each. The UK one is already on my SD card (128mb). I believe that you need to pay to activate the software if you wanted to use the material on France for example. Try http://www.tomtom.com for more info. You shouldn't lose GB if you activate France (I'm guessing you have a larger SD card!).

I had a bit of a major hassle sorting out MS ActiveSync, but think I have it under control now. Try using the options and clicking off some programs that it tries to sync (like Inbox!).

The link to the HP site is http://www.hpstore.hp.co.uk/item?sku=TTFA289A&partner=1222

By the way, to select/de-select POI's, open TT, click on the map and select "Change Preferences" from the select an option screen. Click the right arrow to screen two and select "Maintain POI". Select "Enable/Disable POI" and click the ones you want/don't want! If your safety camera files are stored on the SD card under Geat-Britain-Map, it should list the safety camera POI boxes in the "enable/disable POI". You can check this through Start, Programs, File Explorer, and select the second picture icon at the bottom.

Hope this helps a little!
Gav

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: