Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sprite Backup 3.1.3 for the Pocket PC is available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sprite Backup 3.1.3 for the Pocket PC is available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Sprite Backup 3.1.3 for the Pocket PC is available Reply with quote

For users of the excellent Sprite Backup and Sprite Backup Premium Edition, Sprite have just released version 3.1.3.

Amongst other things, recent discussion with Sprite staff has revealed that they believe this version contains a fix for users who've had trouble restoring when TomTom GPS is installed. For most affected people, recent versions of Sprite Backup have not had any problems, especially when compared to iPAQ Backup, but some users, particularly those with an iPAQ 2210, have had ongoing issues.

I'd urge everyone using Sprite Backup to consider upgrading to the latest version, as it contains various fixes that should make the backup and restore process more robust. However, there's no easy way to test you can restore OK from a hard reset until you actually try it! That said, I would recommend creating self-restoring backup files and at least checking you can get as far as the Restore screen by running the file when you install a new version.

Version 3.1.0 and upwards contain support for scheduled encrypted backups - turn on encryption in the backup options first, then set up scheduled backups.

Upgrades are free for all purchasers of registration codes for Pocket Backup 2, Sprite Backup 2 and Sprite Backup 3. iPAQ users who have iPAQ Backup built in to their Pocket PC are entitled to a reduced price upgrade and, in some cases, a free upgrade to the standard version of Sprite Backup 3.

The download page is here. This version installs as a time-limited trial and will convert into a full version if you have an authorisation code.

Do be aware if you're upgrading that it's recommended you disable scheduled backups, disable battery monitoring, uninstall the previous version from both the Pocket PC and the desktop PC, then install the new version from scratch. Your file exclusion list won't be deleted on the Pocket PC unless you delete the program folder manually, but your other settings are usually lost.

I recommend this software highly, and use it on my Pocket PCs - though I've no link to Sprite other than as a satisfied customer. Sprite now have a version of Sprite Backup for the SmartPhone OS, though as I don't use a SmartPhone I can't comment on it.

David
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on this ! this is one piece of software that has saved my bacon many times as I tend to fiddle a lot. I purchased mine from Handango so do I have to upgrade there or can it be done from your link?
thanks
dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd upgrade using the link I gave, not least as other sites probably won't be updated yet. Your authorisation code (which you may need to enter again, or you may not) stays the same from version to version, assuming it was obtained for version 2 or 3.

About the only sad thing is that, as yet, there's no VGA versions of PocketMon and Space Detective. The main Sprite Backup program works in VGA mode on a VGA Pocket PC.

David
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks have upgraded from your link no probs Smile As you thought nothing was available from Handango and as I am going abroad early Sunday morning it was good to get things sorted
cheers
dave
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, 3.1.2 was only out 3 days ago. I have to go through the uninstall and install process again!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.1.2 was pulled for undisclosed reasons. 3.1.3 is really a re-release of 3.1.2 - I guess with the undisclosed problem or problems solved.

I'd certainly upgrade to 3.1.3 if you're currently on 3.1.2 - that's what I did earlier today before posting the article.

David
bhau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the tip.
Does one have to uninstall the pocketmon and space detective too before installing the new version?
Additional help please. I dont do any scheduled backups, etc ( not knowing too much about that anyway), but i back up to the pc irregullarly.
could you please give me the steps as to what settings i need to have to do this. ( I should remember how I did this as it was a subject in the forum.. but i cant remember the thread/topic as I have been an avid reader of almost all topics in the forums for hours on end!!!!)
Regards
Bhau
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd uninstall everything - as the new installer includes PocketMon and Space Detective.

For scheduled backups, set up the Backup Options and similar you want, then tap Options, Scheduled Backup and set things up.

I choose to rotate two backup files automatically on my SD card - that way, if anything goes wrong with a backup I should still have a good backup file on my memory card. As I have a 1GB SD card, I don't much mind the space this takes.

David
bhau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply

shall take your advice and try to set it up

Thanks again
regards
Bhau
bhau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again

reinstalled new version.. no problems

regards
Bhau

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: