Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting maps onto Palm T5 SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting maps onto Palm T5 SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fean0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Getting maps onto Palm T5 SD card Reply with quote

Hi,

Last year I bought the Palm T5 and TomTom package, which included the 2004 maps for the whole of Europe. These are included in the product code supplied in the box.

I'm going on a drive across Europe on the 24th of April, so a few weeks ago I bought a 1gb 133x Corsair SD card to put the European maps onto. The trouble is, I can't get my Palm to see the maps when they're on the SD card - when I go to change maps, only the GB one is there.

I spoke to TomTom and they suggested that I download the v4.42 update from the US site. I did that, and suddenly I could see the German maps but none of the other ones I had installed. So I decided to format the card and start again, and now I can't see any of the maps again!

To make matters worse, my Palm decided that it couldn't format the SD card. Thinking I had a duff card, I spoke to Corsair about replacing it.

Over the weekend, however, I dug out a card reader and tried formatting the card through my PC (I have already tried this several times using LiveDrive through my Palm). It worked, and I'm now able to put .jpgs onto the card and see them from my PC (I believe that the Palm can only read the FAT format and not FAT32?) I realise that a .jpg only tests a small percentage of the card's memory, but that indicates to me that it's working OK. Am I right?

Anyway, the damn thing still isn't recognising the maps I put on the SD card. I tried doing it both manually through Windows and using Hotsync. Apparently it should just see them automatically, without me having to put the software to the directory, so TomTom customer services were puzzled. However in fairness to them it was while I was on the phone to them that my Palm decided it didn't like the look of my SD card and wouldn't format it, and I've not tried ringing them back again yet.

Any ideas anyone? I'm really stuck. Any help would be much appreciated!
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Getting maps onto Palm T5 SD card Reply with quote

Fean0r wrote:
I believe that the Palm can only read the FAT format and not FAT32?

That depends on the Palm you have, the Lifedrive and possibly the TX can read FAT32, the others can't. Unless your using a 4Gb card stick to FAT.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with TazUK - T5 and earlier Palms are FAT only. In theory this ought to allow cards up to 2GB but Palm has built in some crazy limitation which means in practice the maximum card size has to be LESS than 2GB (i.e. 1.5GB if you can find one, but they're rare so for all practical purposes 1GB is your lot).

Silly question (apologies in advance)...you have got the map folder name correct have you? If the folder name isn't exactly as Tomtom is expecting it might not be able to 'see' the folder...

Confused
Fean0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys Smile I've been using FAT as I assumed as much.

Eillo 7, the map folder names are as the TomTom installation names them - ie the native name of the country (Great_Britain-Map, Deutschland-Map). So I guess they're correct! Confused

I spoke to TomTom again today, and they asked me to install the software itself on the SD card as well as the maps - I hadn't tried this, as it says in the manual you can do this for the T3 and Zire but doesn't say you can do it for the T5. I can see why, though, as it didn't work - the Palm installation software just refused to do it, saying it was unable to install the files to the SD card or something. I don't know if you can't install the software to the SD card or if my SD card is somehow faulty.

I'm chasing my tail here - I can't seem to confirm for sure that the problem isn't with the SD card, and this doesn't seem to be a known problem with the TomTom software. I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra money and just bought the TomTom SD card with software - I decided against that on the principle that I don't see why I should buy the same thing twice! I'm thinking that was a mistake now. Sad
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I understand correctly, we're talking Tomtom Navigator 4.XX here aren't we?

I must admit that I thought the version 4 Europe maps (other than the 'major roads' map) were separate and have to be individually activated - you're sure you have an activation code(s) for the map(s) you're loading?

(Don't get me wrong please - I'm not accusing you of anything...just trying to understand the issue and help find a solution, but I can see how this line of questioning might cause offence and I assure you none is intended Wink )
Fean0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eillo7, it's ok I understand, when you're troubleshooting problems like this you have to cover every possible option Smile

I bought my PDA & TomTom software and hardware as a bundle together, and the software included the maps of Western Europe. Although I believe you are correct for TomTom 4.xx if its bought separately, I'm certain that the product code I received in my bundle includes usage of these maps. When I spoke to TomTom customer services they thought the same thing, which got me worried, but the guy wanted to make sure he wasn't wrong so he went away to check and apparently I do have usage of all the Western European maps.

Anyway, the symptoms aren't what I'd expect if that was the problem - the software should at least ask for a new code to enable the maps! Instead my PDA blindly refuses to recognise there are any maps there at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the TomTom software earlier (on the internal drive as it won't install on the SD card), but this time with ALL the maps (including GB) on the SD card, and it still wouldn't work - the software just said that there are no maps installed. Until I moved the GB maps across to the internal drive, when it suddenly recognised them.

From everything I've heard and read, this should just work. I'm not bad with IT if I do say so myself (it's a fairly large part of my job) and although we can all be guilty of making newbie errors, I can't see what else I can try. Me confused! Confused
Fean0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent about an hour and a half to Palm this morning, followed by another 20 mins later on.

They ended up telling me that the software I've got was intended for use on the HP handhelds, not the Palm ones!

The thing is, I bought the software bundled with my Palm!

TomTom say that the bundle must have been put together by the retailer. And I know that if I ring Palm, they'll just blame it on TomTom.

Great.

Anyway, I decided to try a workaround - putting the smaller maps (ie instead of the whole of France, just nothern France) on my SD card, thinking that as and when I need them, I can copy them to my Internal drive. So I reinstalled TomTom from scratch, as well as the 4.42 update (which is something I'd already tried when attempting to get the maps to work before.

What happens?

My Palm can see them! The GB maps, nothern France and nothern Germany. For some reason it couldn't see Benelux (Nederlands) though, even if I put that on my Internal drive. So I tried Benelux (Francais) and lo and behold - it worked!

So now I can find my way across France, into the Netherlands to visit some friends, and then finally into Germany :D

I don't understand why it's working now though. I wondered whether it had something to do with my Palm not having the resources to load the huge maps that are the whole of France and the whole of Germany, but both the Benelux maps are exactly the same size, and anyway it wouldn't pick up the Switzerland maps, which are tiny at about 21Mb or so. Confused

I'm not complaining though. It just shows that with enough bloody-mindedness and persistence you can get things to work! I've set the SD card to read only in the hope that will stop the PDA from deciding it's not formatted on random occasions when I either reset it or remove the SD card.
Fean0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the edit post function? Confused

Anyway I was on the phone to TomTom for an hour and a half then 20 mins, not Palm. Just in case anyone wonders.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Fean0r, I'm pleased you have resolved it...even if we're not sure quite how or why.

Tomtom is [in]famous for the rather flaky implementation of their s/w on palm devices. It is almost unique (in my experience) in the architecture they use and the installation procedure.

However, once you fire it up it really is a marvellous application...mostly. Laughing

...oh, and don't worry about not finding the edit button - there isn't one! Wink
Fean0r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh thanks eillo7 Smile

I guess it's inevitable that the software is going to have installation glitches when it's designed to work on so many different platforms.

Hopefully when TomTom do another upgrade package I can get the new software and with any luck that will prevent me having these problems if I have to drive elsewhere in Europe!

Thanks for your help and input eillo7 and TazUK :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: