Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new integrated gps/pda deal at aldi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new integrated gps/pda deal at aldi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: new integrated gps/pda deal at aldi Reply with quote

aldi have got another pda/gps deal coming up on the 11th November this one has got a integrated gps on the pda have to wait and see what the extras are and what the final price will be .
Smithy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of integrated gps if your car has a heated front windscreen, my friend found that the elements caused major problems getting a signal
Smithy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link or more info? Aldi's website isn't yet showing the 12th Nov offers. Is it this one?

If it is then it's the Mitac Digiwalker 136. Medion's version differs in having a fixed helix antenna rather than the flip up patch antenna which Navman have used in their version, the iCN510 and runs Destinator. It is a standalone Nav Device and has no PDA functionality.

There was a post a few weeks back when the device was announced in Germany, see here. At the time it hadn't been confirmed that it was a Mitac but it shared many similarities and has now been verified.
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Germany, Aldi are doing a different integrated PDA/GPS system (also carrying the Medion name) from 11 November for 379 euros (about £265).

From a flyer posted on the pocketnavigation.de Web site, it appears to be based on a Mitac Mio 168 (?) and uses a downgraded version of Navigon's MN4 software which does not support TMC. It uses TeleAtlas data.

You can see the flyer here (in a thread partially translated by Google):

http://tinyurl.com/4toxh
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this materialises it'll be a good xmas present for my wife.

Does anyone know if there is an Aldi in the Sutton/Croydon area? I tried the store search thing but it didn't recognise my postcode. I searched for Sutton and it found Sutton SM1 as a location, but then in the list of closest stores listed things like "Norwich - 14.5 miles" which is only out by a factor of 20 or so... don't quite trust the results!
BigSecret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aldi store search is "interesting". To get it to recognise a post code you should use only the first part of the code e.g. SM1 in your case. The returned list does contain the Norwich store which is clearly wrong but the others in the list seem a little more on the ball.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some were OK. There was also Boston (in Linconshire, not Massacheusetts - apologies for spelling!) listed as about 80 miles away, instead of about treble that.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithy wrote:
Beware of integrated gps if your car has a heated front windscreen, my friend found that the elements caused major problems getting a signal
Smithy

They usually come with an external antenna you can plug in to the integrated one. However the one supplied with the Mio 168 is only about 2m long, so usless for reaching to the back window of a car even if you only have a convertable! You might be able to get an extension lead, the lead is coax with a small connector.

Cheers
---Dave
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal is now showing on the website and isn't half bad. You get:

Medion PPC (rebranded Mio 168)
256MB card (doesn't say SD or MMC) with GB and major roads of Europe
4xCDs with European maps on them
Car charger/holder
Navigation software

All for the bargain price of £249.99 which is a complete bargain.

I'm gonna try and get one of these for my wife for Xmas - they are available from the 11th of November.

Get 'em while they're hot!
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: This may not be illegal, but it's bordering on immoral ! Reply with quote

I agree, the Aldi package is a very good deal !

But several people are going to be disappointed, if this Ebay item is anything to go by !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3728&item=5730277242&rd=1

The seller states he has 10 available, which is a downright lie, as they're not yet on sale !

'Goods will be dispatched for delivery after 11/11/04 within 48 hours' - Of course he can't despatch until after 11/11, as 11/11 is when they go on sale at Aldi stores !

And he's got a £270 starting bid + £10 P&P, when the Aldi price is £249.99 !!

He's even just copied the entire description and pictures from the Aldi Website !

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_462.html

I've asked my friendly local Aldi manager how many of these he'll be getting, but he doesn't know yet; but he repeated to me that, in theory, no individual will be allowed to buy more than 1 of these units, when the stores open on Thursday, so that as many people as possible can benefit from this bargain price !

So what happens to any poor buyers who actually bid and 'win' this item if the seller doesn't get enough of the units ?

I'm 'watching' this item and will send a message to any bidders, advising them to go to Aldi themselves and save themselves some money !

I'm thinking of buying 1 of these myself, so I hope for this seller's sake that he's not in front of me in the queue next Thursday - There'll be a few sharp words spoken if he attempts to buy 10 units !!!!

Philip
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Profiteering !! Reply with quote

At 08:56:08 GMT today, this profiteer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3728&item=5730277242&rd=1

amended the Minimum Bid Price from £270 to £280 - Absolutely unbelievable !!!

Mercifully, no-one has yet bid, but I'll be doing all I can to help any poor unfortunate who does bid, to withdraw their bid.

I think that the fact that the seller doesn't actually own the units yet, so they can't be his to sell, probably contravenes the law of the land, as well as Ebay's rules !

I'd have reported this item to Ebay, but I can't find a suitable category to file the complaint under !

Meanwhile, I can't stand idly by and see people spend more money than they ought to on these units !

Philip
CC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this model has a user replaceable battery?
Thanks
Colin
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC wrote:
Does anyone know if this model has a user replaceable battery?

It does not.
Funky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this info on the Aldi unit if anyone is interested :

http://www.mio-tech.be/products/gps/168/spec.asp

It mentions an SD IO expansion slot, what does that mean? Embarassed

I'm just hoping that Aldi will be supplying the external GPS antena with it too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you noticed but we reviewed this unit as part of the CoPilot bundle a while back, see here.

Aside from no bluetooth or user replaceable battery it's a good unit. SDIO means the SD Slot can be sued with devices such as Wireless LAN SD Cards.

The Aldi bundle does not come with the external antenna but given the price it is being sold at it is hardly surprising!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: