Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ 5450 Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ 5450 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w7pmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: iPAQ 5450 Questions Reply with quote

Hello All:

I'm very new to this forum, but have a load of questions on my recently purchased 5450.

Bought the HP/Compaq iPAQ 5450 along with the Tom Tom Navigation kit (really like the way the Sat Nav looks, but i'll come back to that).

These devices, do not come with a comprehensive user manual, which given their size & functionality is crazy, but here goes anyway.

1. The iPaq can see & scan my corporate wireless network, both in the UK & the US, along with most airports i've been in over the last couple of weeks, but for some reason i can't seem to access the Internet using this connection. Surely the idea is that wherever the iPAQ can see a wireless network, it should be able to surf & collect email (security allowing). I'm assuming that the problem lies in my iPAQ connection settings, but if i try to add a new setting, it kind of forces me to set up a new modem etc.

2. I use Outlook 2002/XP on my home PC & Lotus Notes at work. I have 2 sudo seperate ActiveSync profiles, so it syncs everything at home, but just Favourites/Files & AvantGo at work. Is there any way of keeping this, but getting the work sync profile to read and sync with Lotus Notes? Someone has mentioned Intellisync (we have an office copy), but i'm not sure how it works & is there an alternative peice of software that i don't have to pay £60+ for (shareware/freeware)

3. What exactly can i use the Infra red stuff for? My mobile is Bluetooth (Nokia 6310i) although my company won't swith on the GPRS functionality & i can't see any real connection benefits to the infra red. I'm sure the Bluetooth functionality should give me lots of uses, but again, i'm struggling to find any real benefit

4. Can i alter the backlight settings on the iPAQ to stay on longer than 10mins? This is not a problem during normal usage, as tapping the screen brings the light back on, but when in Sat Nav mode, its very annoying & not very safe to try and bring the display up whilst driving.

5. Is there any way of making the voice directions louder? they are very quiet & at max iPAQ volume, on the motorway, i can't hear anything.

6. I'm getting a little frustrated at being unable to actually close applications. If i go into the Calender, Contacts or pretty much any of the iPAQ apps, when i leave them, they are still running in the backround (sapping memory), so i have to go into the Memory settings & close them from there. Is there any option or additional application to allow me to close programs properly.

7. Where are the best website for Pocket PC apps (freeware etc). I've pulled a couple down from Microsoft's pocket PC download area, but i'm sure there must be plenty more? Some games for my extended time on planes & in airports would be useful.

8. What is the normal battery life on these devices? The 5450 has a LiPolymer battery & its meant to be pretty long lasting, but it looks like 3hours would be the absolute maximum life on my device.

9. Last question (for now). I have the full UK nav map (TomTom) installed on my 128mb CF memory card. I'm thinking of getting a larger CF card of maybe 1gb. Can i just cut & paste whats currently on the 128 to a larger CF or will i have to re-install the 80mb UK map? For some reason, the Tom Tom software won't even start if the CF jacket is not present, even though i'm sure its only the UK map thats on a CF & the app is installed in the iPAQ's regular memory. I don't have enough space in the memory to paste the map there.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: iPAQ 5450 Questions Reply with quote

I can answer the following:-

6. Get something like ICBar or WisBar, this will allow you to close applications.

7. Goto Handango and Pocket Gear they have freeware and shareware apps/games.

9. Yes you can cut and paste, or copy and paste. It will take a while though, so you'll probably want to give it some mains power whilst you do this.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

For (6), you can use "Ctrl", followed by "q" on the keyboard to close each individual application.
w7pmc
Occasional Visitor

Thanks so far for your answers.

Can anyone else shed any light on the other questions?

I have one further question (minor annoyance). When i try to start Windows Media Player, i get a message saying "no default skin, please re-install WMP" etc etc. This message comes up for the first 2 or 3 times i try to start the app, but then on the next attempt, it starts fine. I can't find any way to uninstall Media player or re-install & as a last ditch attempt last night, i tried to download a couple of additional skins from the Microsoft Download resource. I followed all the instructions to the letter, but when i opened Media Player, went into settings & tried to change the skin, the new ones were not there. Anyone help with this one?

Cheers
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

1. windows media player is preinstalled in the flash rom so you can't install uninstall it. If you look in the windows directory of your ppc you should be able to find a file called wmp85default.skn and some associated gifs if these files have been deleted or corrupted it is probably causing your problem. Perhaps a hard reset would fix this, but not before you've done a full backup.

2. Most Wireless networks require username & password access, ask you IT department to help you out.

3. The speaker volume is very low, its a big let down.

4. The IR is really usefull for changing the TV channels (try out the nevo software!) and hey you can still connect to to your phone as a modem with the IR port if you so wish.

5. If you plug your IPAQ into an incar charger whilst using the gps then it'll stay on for as long as you like.

Anyway hope you have lots of fun trying out your ipaq!

cheerio Richard
fogun
Occasional Visitor

To answer question;

5) I have a product called "CD cassette adapter", I normally use this to play my miniDisc in the car using my radio/cassette speakers. If you can live without music for the duration of your journey then plug the adapter into the iPAQ H5450 headphone jacket. I promise the quality of sound is superb. If I am on long journeys I normally flick between listening to the radio and Navman instructions.

Use purchase this for approx £6.00 from Argos.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: