Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS CF Vs BT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS CF Vs BT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: GPS CF Vs BT Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm new in this GPS and PDA business. I'm planning to buy the new Dell X50v PDA since it has a good processor, CF and SDIO slot and a VGA display which I think it's best for viewing, specially while driving.

But I don't know whether I buy a CF or a BT GPS. I want to use it inside a car, and on foot also.
-CF is good because doesn't need to recharge battery, and it can be always attached to the PDA, but I doubt if will work on my shielded windscreen. (I saw the SDIO Globalsat 501 which has very good sensibility, I wonder if it's worth it).
-BT makes PDA lighter and can be put anywhere in car, but also needs recharging and I don't think it's the best solution for a walk.

Can you experienced users give me some advice on this?

Thanks,

Andre.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: GPS CF Vs BT Reply with quote

andrems wrote:

-BT makes PDA lighter and can be put anywhere in car, but also needs recharging and I don't think it's the best solution for a walk.

Why would BT not be the best solution for a walk? It is much better than CF because it has its own battery, and you can position the receiver better to a sky view.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above if you go for say a navman 4400 or can find an old 4100 then the battery life is quoted at around 30 hours

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the hints. But I have these questions that worry me.

I believe that BT is not very suitable for a walk, because you have to put the GPS somewhere, maybe in your pocket (I don't know if reduces the quality of GPS reception), since it can't be attached to the PDA. Sometimes it isn't very practical to carry the BT Gps around when you're on foot, and already carrying the PDA in your hands.

And the battery issue concerns me because suppose that I'm going to a long car ride, and that BT gps has low battery left but still enough to not indicate the battery low warning. In this case I don't have the slightest idea how's the battery leve. It's probable that it will run out during the trip, and can't be connected to the car lighter because the PDA it's already there. Right? With BT I had to recharge it everytime before I use it. So, with the CF I don't have to worry about these things.

Waiting for your comments, and thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever heard of a Y-cable? You can use that to power both the PDA and the BT receiver in the car, and you can always be confident that the BT receiver is fully charged when you take it out of the car.

Some mounts (like the Seidio G2500) also offere a power-passthrough where you can connect BT receiveres directly.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Y-cable is a solution. But since my windscreen is shielded, I have to put the BT in the back, so in practice I would get a wired BT from the front of the car to the back (it would be a waste of money for a wireless product)

And still nobody answered me about walking on foot with a BT GPS. Is it ok being in a pocket?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car has a cigarette lighter socket in the trunk...

Yes, it's ok to have the BT receiver in the pocket. Of course it's better when that pocket is further up, for example a shirt pocket or a pocket in a shoulder strap.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrems wrote:
The Y-cable is a solution. But since my windscreen is shielded, I have to put the BT in the back, so in practice I would get a wired BT from the front of the car to the back (it would be a waste of money for a wireless product)

Just get a re-rad or find the spot on the windscreen where you can place teh BT GPS where it can get through the athermic protection (usually in corner of windscreen or behind the rear view mirror).

As for walking, if you have a CF GPS then you will drain your PPC power twice as quick because the CF card requires power. The BT GPS has it's own power source and won't do this.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrems wrote:
I believe that BT is not very suitable for a walk, because you have to put the GPS somewhere, maybe in your pocket (I don't know if reduces the quality of GPS reception), since it can't be attached to the PDA. Sometimes it isn't very practical to carry the BT Gps around when you're on foot, and already carrying the PDA in your hands.

And the battery issue concerns me because suppose that I'm going to a long car ride, and that BT gps has low battery left but still enough to not indicate the battery low warning. In this case I don't have the slightest idea how's the battery leve. It's probable that it will run out during the trip, and can't be connected to the car lighter because the PDA it's already there. Right? With BT I had to recharge it everytime before I use it. So, with the CF I don't have to worry about these things.

I have BT and use it extensively for walking. Placing the receiver in my pocket does not affect the reception at all. I chose BT specifically for walking, I would not use anything else.

For me batteries are not an issue. The Navman 4100 BT receiver, for instance, uses standard AAA batteries. They do last in excess of 15 hours from new but I always carry a pack of spares.

Using CF does have some advantages as you have stated. But.... you will drain your PDA battery which usually only lasts around 4-6 hours from a full charge (std battery) without the extra power requirements of a CF GPS receiver.

From what you say in your first post Bluetooth would be your best option but at the end of the day you have to choose for yourself.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'm getting conviced by a BT receiver. Do you recommend anyone special, or they're all pretty much the same?

Btw, when do you think it's best to use CF?

Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrems wrote:

Btw, when do you think it's best to use CF?

When the CF GPS receiver has a tiltable antenna, an MCX external antenna connector, and 512 MB of storage included.

Alternatively you can use it for geocaching sessions that last less than an hour.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

Last questions from this annoying newbie.

1- What drains the PPC battery quicker? A CF GPS card, or the BT turned on?

2- In what situations it's more recommended the use of CF instead of BT?

3- Between Fortuna, Emtac, Navman and Pretec BT receivers, what you should choose and why?

And thank you for all your patience.

Andre.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1- What drains the PPC battery quicker? A CF GPS card, or the BT turned on?

In answer to 1-
I stand by my 6+ hours usage from my 2210 running OS mapping and plotting my position using a BT GPS receiver.

Whether people believe it or not doesn't matter to me. I doubt very much I could achieve the same using a CF GPS

By the way, the Navman 4100 receiver is not old, it is a current model.

As for which receiver to go for, people will have different views on what is best. If you are concerned about having to recharge all the time, go for the Navman and use standard AAAs. You can always use rechargables as well if you wish.

But before you decide, read the reviews to ensure the one you eventually go for does what YOU want rather than what it does for others.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Beefy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to comment that CF GPS can have issues with the CF Slot in your PPC. I had terrible problems with a Holux CF with my Pocket LOOX, luckily Holux told me about the issue and so I bought a wired version.

The point about wanting to use it for walking and how long the battery lasts in a PPC. I don't know how long you are looking at going for a walk but 6 hours should be sufficient for some of the most exillirating walks I would have thought. Then you can charge your PPC when you get back to civilisation.
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I use a 2210 with a Globalsat CF GPS & have had no problems over the past 12 months, I did try a freinds bluetooth GPS & had nothing but problems (loosing sync with the PPC). Personally I dont think that bluetooth is good enough yet to completely replace a direct coneection, those out there wirh BT GPS can you honestly say it does not loose sync with the PPC a few times over a 4 hour period?

That said this is my personal opinion, others I am sure will think differntly.

Whatever you choose just remember nothing is perfect!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: