Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go Postcodes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go Postcodes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and you must include the 'space' in the postcode.
Lomaxter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: tomtom go postcodes? Reply with quote

Well I cant find that postcode in south central either and I am entering the spaces. As far as I can tell I have put the files on correctly.
Lomaxter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: tomtom go postcodes? Reply with quote

8) Hey presto all the postcodes seem to be appearing now. I have found 2 examples that were nowhere to be found a few hours ago!! How strange :D
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that you need to ignore the "No PoI Found" message. Just keep typing (incl the space!!) until you get to the end........then wait..........and wait.
mayor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the KEY is, as you say, TO WAIT ...remember that when the letters are GREYED OUT, the TTG is still PROCESSING, so give it time.

good luck.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: post codes Reply with quote

mayor wrote:
I think the KEY is, as you say, TO WAIT ...remember that when the letters are GREYED OUT, the TTG is still PROCESSING, so give it time.

good luck.

when you say wait how long I have downloaded west midlands and can only find B6* have tried waiting 10 minutes no reponse! Smile
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: post codes Reply with quote

1958 wrote:
mayor wrote:

good luck.

when you say wait how long I have downloaded west midlands and can only find B6* have tried waiting 10 minutes no reponse! Smile

OK that's not good 8O
I'd try reinstalling the file. Only thing I can think of is is your SD card jam packed with lilttle / no spare space? I think that can slow things down a little.
Snig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Missing Postcode Areas? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this postcode POI but of the 4 postcodes I've tried, 2 weren't found. Not only did it not know about the full postcode, I could find no entries at all in LS6 or CF4. Have I just been unlucky or is this going to be a regular occurrence?

I don't think it's down to timmyo's handling of the data. I've looked in the George Spanellis .ov2 files and the entries aren't there either.

Of course, I might just be missing something...

Regards,
Mark.
mayor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair.... i think that you'll be surprised how WELL TTG handles postcodes, WITHOUT having to install any POSTCODE POI's.

I actually have stopped using any POI postcodes and rely simply on they built-in TTG data.

You should first enter the first 3 or 4 digits of the postcode ( as far as the TTG will let you) Then when you pinpoint the Postcode are under the CITY Heading, proceed to input the name of the street.

.....and yes there are some quirks where you cant find the name of a street and yet when you go NEAR to an ADJACENT street ( which you found on multimap !!!!) you will physically see it in the TTG map !

In summary use the TTG naming system !

have fun
mayor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention that TTG does not handle ALL SIX digits of teh postcode due to liscence issues with the Post Office, but it does take upto the fisrt 5 digits.... this is usually enough to get you through.
Snig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've used the TTG's own postcode lookup to good effect. One address I needed is on a "road" that's not listed on the TTG (can't drive down it, not listed on StreetMap either) but I thought the full postcode lookup would get me close enough.

Similar problems for business addresses that don't give a building number.

Never mind, I'll just use the TTG lookup for most things, the full postcode next and, if that fails, try StreetMap, AutoRoute or whatever. :-)

Regards,
Mark.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good points, and I would say that I also use the 'native' TTG method by preference whenever I have that information to hand, or sometimes I use the 'crosses road....' option with it where I have no building number to get to the right end of, say, Edgeware Road.

There are plenty of postcodes missing from George's excellent original files, and not just old ones - I still think they are an amazing resource though. What is slightly disappointing (imho) is the reaction os some people who discover this - they expect someone else to fix all the outstanding codes and publish them 'properly' rather than offer to look up the required entry for the one they discover and ask someone (like me or anyone else who is comfortable with the WinOV and file catenating tools requried to build the files) politely to add it for them and re-publish.

So here's a question: If I put up a web form where folk could submit a missing postcode and the corresponding entry from Streetmap.co.uk do you think people would use it / find it useful ? I'd be happy to republish every month or 2 depending on the data submitted . . . ?

Tim
Snig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as long as I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm happy. I hate to be missing out on things. ;-)

As for updating the missing entries, that sounds like a *huge* undertaking. I assume George had access to the data in some other format and processed it. If a corrected version of that original data were made available, it might be worth re-running but anybody wanting to add the missing entries (even if lots of people submitted a few each), I think it'd be a long time before it made an impact.

Don't let me stop you, though. :-)

Regards,
Mark.
POIsonIvy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: One big Postcode file Reply with quote

I find the Postcode POI's very useful - thanks to those of you who've made them.

I have a few questions:
How are these created - I mean it's not possible to do these one by one as with the Streetmap instructions - so where so I find the database to convert as I'd like to try an create a complete UK one.

In the meantime -

Has anyone joined all the existing Postcode POI's into one big one?

If so - how? Any problems with using it?

How big is the finished file?

Could you share it please?

Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: One big Postcode file Reply with quote

POIsonIvy wrote:
Has anyone joined all the existing Postcode POI's into one big one?

If so - how? Any problems with using it?

How big is the finished file?

Could you share it please?

Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance

Yes, they have, it's referred to further up this (long) thread you've posted to, including the problem of the time required to search the very long lists that result from the amalgamation.

The original thread you need to look at is here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: