Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NAVMAN SmartST v3 POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NAVMAN SmartST v3 POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
migs29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: NAVMAN SmartST v3 POI's Reply with quote

POI's on the system aren't as easy as you think guys, but I've modified the speed camera db files so that devices running v3 (e.g. ICN 510) will be able to import these POI's.

Could a mod please contact me so that the files can be made public?

cheers

migs29
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said we thought they'd be easy? Laughing They aren't hard to modify for V3 though. The format simply needs to be

Lat, Long, "Name"

When using Excel to view .csv files, that is how they can appear, so confusion reigns when they can't then be transferred to the device. However, looking at the same .csv file in, say, Notepad might reveal extra " characters. Stripping these and any header information out and re-saving should make a useable POI file.
yrhombus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Unable to load to ICN510 Reply with quote

I've modified the gatso file to the correct format but I'm unable to load to the ICN510.

According to the "manual" it's not possible to have more than 25 custom POIs and when I try to send this file over to the ICN it informs me I need a lot more memory that available (5.32K!).

Have I been slightly "conned" in that the ICN510 won't allow me to use the speed camera file in it's entirety - having 25 camera sites is useful but will probably not help my licence!

Thanks.
yrhombus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Apologies - please delete my posting. Reply with quote

I have now found out what was happening - so my post can be deleted.

Shoot first - ask question too late...

Sorry.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be more advantageous if you could tell us what you were doing wrong, so that others won't fall into the same trap.
yrhombus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Complete user error Reply with quote

I'm not sure anyone else would be quite so stupid but here goes...

I had gone through the trauma of getting the POI file into the correct format for the ICN - in all it had taken me a couple of hours as I was doing more than one thing at a time (not recommended!) The process of doing this is (now) well documented on the main ICN510 forum but at the time I didn't know and I'm a first timer with these things.

So, by the time I actually got to the point where I was able to transfer the message across to the device I mis-read the memory message that appeared - I interpreted it as needing a lot more space than I had available. Stupid user error.

I then reverted to the manual on the CD and found that it is slightly misleading when it refers to user POI files - it says you can have 25 entries I think which I interpreted as 25 individual POIs not individual files - in my defence it's not brilliantly worded but I was a bit annoyed by then anyway!

So, frustration led to incompetence really.

If I have one comment (and anyone's still reading) I would say it would be great if the camera database had a format that could be readily used without changing quote marks etc - I say this as a fair number of people seem to be encountering issues with the transformation. I do appreciate that it's a free service though so I hope I'm not being ungrateful.

Thanks

Rick
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I agree that the manual is poorly written regarding the 25 POI statement, and I have mentioned this to Navman.

I'm sure that if enough people ask then the database will be put up in the required format, which is

Long, Lat, "Name"

It will then be a simple procedure to merely strip out the top line and load up the data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: