Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Ipaq hx4700 - Will latest GPS Software work on it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Ipaq hx4700 - Will latest GPS Software work on it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: New Ipaq hx4700 - Will latest GPS Software work on it? Reply with quote

The HP iPAQ Pocket PC hx4700 is due to become available very soon.

Is this device compatible with the most recent software releases from CoPilot & TomTom.

The 4700 has a new system for moving around the screen (the dreaded mousepad by the looks of it), and no toggle button. Does this mean that programs that have integrated hardware button support can use the mousepad instead?

Is the system volume improved (it is abysmal on the 5000 series Ipaqs).

Are the external connections compatible with previous models - power/sync cables. mounts etc. - or will a whole array of new accesories be needed.

I have also looked at the soon to be released Ipaq 6300 series with its' built-in phone capability. This seems the ideal way to use the Live feature in CiPilot5 - dose anyone know if that is the case? The downside with the 6300 is that they have gone backwards with the memory, back to 64mb from the 128 on the 5550.

Ted
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on the 6300 series (haven't seen the 4700 yet). The GPRS implementation on the 6315 is pretty good for receiving data (there are some reports that uploading large chunks of data via GPRS is difficult). So it will work nicely with CoPilot Live if you're willing to shell out for the GPRS charges.

The memory on the 6315 is actually 56 MB, and the processor is 168 MHz. But on the other hand the battery runtime is fantastic...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz

Thanks for that.

Ted
CharlieM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom cabled works fine with the 4700 although it tells you when you first install it that the program was made for a previous OS version. BT systems dont appear to work though, The external connection is the same as previous iPAQ models which means generic mounts such as the TomTom universal will fit it.
lapinjatka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttn3 seems to work in 4700. GPS 3.x don't with bluetooth receiver. You never see outbonding port ( com8) but GPS 2.07 seems to work. On the other hand I have only one day experiece.

juuso
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this back from TomTom:

Quote:
Dear Ted,

This model is NOT yet in our compatibility list. Our test team is looking at this model but we can not give false hopes to our customers. We do not know if this model will pass our testing requirements. If this model does pass testing then it will be listed on our website as compatible but at this time it is not compatible.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

By the way I nearly fell off my chair when I got this response because I only sent the enquiry a few hours before I got it! What happened to their usual 1 week reply time? I hope this is a sign of things to come!

I hope it will be compatible with GPS because this Ipaq definitely sounds like the Dogs B......s - huge memory, 4" VGA screen, fastest PDA processor on the market etc.

Ted
lapinjatka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: gps patch for ipaq 4700 and rx3715 Reply with quote

Hi
I found patch for TomTom GPS can in the www.pocketpc-club.nl.
Now GPS 3.03 works fine and both TeleType GPS and finnish genimap Navigator ´works with Emtac Bluetooth.
TomTom Navigator 5, TeleType Navigator
Genimap Navigator, Destinator (old v. 2)
Fugawi 3.x
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a hx4700 with CP5 and a Pretec Mini BT with no problems at all. Charged both PDA and GPS previous night and on a drive lasting 6 hours with only CP working on the PDA there was still a 68% charge and the GPS was still fine (even after accidently leaving it on in an underground carpark for 7 hours during work). Both PDA and GPS were working off their batteries. No drop in signals. BT links to GPS are quick and the GPS picks up signals very quick, cold or hot start.
drinternat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: iPaq 4700 Reply with quote

I also am using this pda with Tomtom Navigator 3 with no problems. this is the first pda or navigation system i have had so i dont know what problems to look for. I use the Arkon powered GPS mount. the one with the integrated GPS receiver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: