Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Offload Favorites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Offload Favorites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Offload Favorites Reply with quote

I need to offload my favorites and their coordinates from the unit in some type of transportable format. Does anyone know of a way to do that?

thank you.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it is possible to copy your "Favorites" from your device to your "Desktop" via your "SmartST Desktop" USB2 connection by following..... "My Computer>Mobile Device>My Flash Disk>FavVer3.dat"
I'm sure someone will know if it's possible to do anything with it. If all you want to do is transport it to another 510 then maybe if you delete the "FavVer3.dat" file from the second 510 or the original and then drag the copied file from your "Desktop" to replace it, that might work. Personally I haven't got the balls to try it out and I strongly advise that you don't until someone else says you can. I'm just a beginner.
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
Whilst it is possible to copy your "Favorites" from your device to your "Desktop" via your "SmartST Desktop" USB2 connection by following..... "My Computer>Mobile Device>My Flash Disk>FavVer3.dat"
I'm sure someone will know if it's possible to do anything with it. If all you want to do is transport it to another 510 then maybe if you delete the "FavVer3.dat" file from the second 510 or the original and then drag the copied file from your "Desktop" to replace it, that might work. Personally I haven't got the balls to try it out and I strongly advise that you don't until someone else says you can. I'm just a beginner.

Yes, I have copied that file to my pc, and it looks like the data are there, but I don't know how to get it to something usable.
This is about the only major thing I don't like about the 510. It is strictly navigational, does not have any mapping software to go with it. Other than that I love it.
Thanks for the reply.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what do you want to do with the data?
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you want to do with the data?

I can tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Wink
When I get to a customer site, I log the location into my Favorites. That way I can easily navigate back to it when I need to. So I want to back it up, which probably is not a problem, but I also want to locate customers on a map for my use and use of my colleagues.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got that. I always thought it would be nice if you could just plug the GPS into your PC and have everything displayed on your monitor. Maybe in the next generation.My wont we laugh when we look back a few years from now???
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll probably cry...I bought Betamax. Crying or Very sad
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
OK, got that. I always thought it would be nice if you could just plug the GPS into your PC and have everything displayed on your monitor. Maybe in the next generation.My wont we laugh when we look back a few years from now???

Well actually that's the way I thought it would work because all of the others I had did. That's the only major advantage Garmin has. I could mark a location, name it and then offload it. And you could create routes offline and download them.
In all other respects, I'm glad I went Navman. It does a great job for me.
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimg wrote:
ShirleyTemple wrote:

Well actually that's the way I thought it would work because all of the others I had did. That's the only major advantage Garmin has. I could mark a location, name it and then offload it. And you could create routes offline and download them.

I too was disapointed in how far mobile navigation has come along in the past 10 years. I was surprised to see just how limited the icn510 really was. No elevation reading (although the US version comes with Topo maps) no easy means to transfer favorite and POIs without synching. No way to use the maps on your pc to plan trips and establish new favorites and POIs (could have been accomplished easily using the SD cards as the transfer vehicle). Basicaly its a very poorly thoughtout and executed product. I've seen toys with more thought put into them than the icn510. I'm a road warrior and it would be nice to be able to plan and save your POIs and destinations on SD in the comfort of your office using a real computer, so when the time came for your business trip all you did was pop your SD in and go. There is no means to record your mileage (odometer) or your routes for business user this is a must. Shoot my 10 year old magellan had at least elevation and a odometer. I'll not buy another dedicated gps navigation system.. Next one will be a pocket pc.
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scruge wrote:
jimg wrote:
ShirleyTemple wrote:

I too was disapointed in how far mobile navigation has come along in the past 10 years. I was surprised to see just how limited the icn510 really was. No elevation reading (although the US version comes with Topo maps) no easy means to transfer favorite and POIs without synching. No way to use the maps on your pc to plan trips and establish new favorites and POIs (could have been accomplished easily using the SD cards as the transfer vehicle). Basicaly its a very poorly thoughtout and executed product. I've seen toys with more thought put into them than the icn510. I'm a road warrior and it would be nice to be able to plan and save your POIs and destinations on SD in the comfort of your office using a real computer, so when the time came for your business trip all you did was pop your SD in and go. There is no means to record your mileage (odometer) or your routes for business user this is a must. Shoot my 10 year old magellan had at least elevation and a odometer. I'll not buy another dedicated gps navigation system.. Next one will be a pocket pc.

Yeah, being a road warrior also, it is pretty disappointing. And NavMan have no intention of doing anything like that, according to the email they sent me. I think their roots must be strictly in-car navigation, with no computer support. Thats pretty ironic considering the 510 is running on a pocket pc platform, which is about as seamless with windows as you can get on a pocket device. I would think someone could make a couple of bucks if they could come up with a way to get some offline functionality out of it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: