Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PREVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PREVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN510
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weirethehelawi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, stupid question Embarassed , forgot about NDAs etc. Guess I'll hang on a bit then.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirethehelawi wrote:
I couldn't find anything on the Navman website.

Heck - I can't even find anything about the 510 on their website. I would have thought they'd have it on there by now.

Dave, any idea as to when is the 510 officially released in the UK?
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'OH!!!!! I just had another look and saw the press release. Ignore my last post.

D'OH D'OH D'OH!!!!!!!!!!
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Full review of iCN 510 planned Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Just wondering if there will be a full review of the iCN 510 unit with SmartST V3? I'm eagerly waiting for the PPC version of SmartST V3 to appear, but thought it would be interesting to get an in-depth release of iCN 510 to judge the performance of the new SW compared to V2.

Best regards,
Ulf
Whitevanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: icn 510 Reply with quote

Hi Dave, on the strength of your exellent write up, I have bought a Navman icn 510, I did consider the tom tom go, I have yet to try it in my van, the only iffy thing may be the lack of volume, would it be possible to fit another speaker via the headphone socket ? will keep all informed, as to what I thinkof this unit
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you certainly could fit something into the headphone socket. You'd be better off with a powered type of speaker system as that will give you the amplification you need, and preferably something with a volume wheel to enable changing the volume.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, in your review you're saying that the unit you've been testing has a beta SW where no functionality for e.g POI handling was yet available. Is that really correct or is it copy-paste from your previous review in September?
I would be most interested in reading a review of how well this functionality works in SmartST V3, especially in comparison to TomTom and other similar products.

Cheers,
Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry! I should have posted this message in the thread following Dave´s latest ICN650 review instead...

/Ulf
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulf,

IMO POI handling is adequate but not outstanding. On the PiN/PPC version your custom POIs are put into the device's main memory. There is no option to load them to a storage card, although this can be done manually.

At the moment it doesn't appear as though you can specify different sounds for different categories, although this is also 'under investigation'. You can change the default sound, but only by copying your own .wav file over and renaming it to the same name as the supplied one.

Also, you can't specify to only get warnings if the POI is on your calculated route, as I believe you can on the Go.

Other than those issues, I like the function.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Tim.

The last thing you're mentioning, i.e that you can't tell SmartST V3 to warn only for 'on route' POIs, is a bit unfortunate. I read the TT GO review earlier and was quite impressed by that.

The issues with the sounds doesn't concern me too much really. I see it as a 'nice to have' feature.

Another POI related feature that I haven't seen in any product (by reading the reviews, that is) is to find the POI closest to your destination - on your route. A typical example is when you want to return a rental car at an airport. I mostly go for the option to fill it up with petrol before I return it (as it's cheapest that way...). I would therefore like to see the option of getting the navigation system to tell me where the last petrol station is on my way to the airport. Do you know if this can be accomplished by any of products?

/Ulf
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't do that but a good work-around is to 'Go To Nearest' when you pick up the car and then save it as a favourite. Not exactly what you had in mind but would work just as well.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
It can't do that but a good work-around is to 'Go To Nearest' when you pick up the car and then save it as a favourite. Not exactly what you had in mind but would work just as well.

Yepp, that could work. The only thing is that your hit could be on the wrong side of the road, which can mean a problem when you're driving on the motorway. But I guess you could get this problem anyway, since SmartST doesn't support the 'on route' option.

Well, there is still some way to go before we have a product fulfilling all our wishes...

Ulf
Whitevanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Speaker for Navaman icn 510 Reply with quote

Hi Dave and all, First day of using my Navman icn 510, and am very pleased. I drive a Mercedes Sprinter that is a reasonably quiet van, and to be honest struggled to hear the voice at full. So on returning home I plugged in to the earphone socket of the Navman with a speaker from a Nokia hands free kit, screwed it on the Bulkhead of the van, near my right ear, Wow what a difference, I would reccomend it, I think with a noisier vehicle like a transit, one would struggle, without an additional speaker.
This advice is more aimed at the van market users, as cars are obviously far more quiet.
regards Roy
pelmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: questions about 510 Reply with quote

I've been looking at a car nav system for my parents and the icn510 would suit our needs. I have a couple of quick questions hoepfully someone can answer:

1) Their car has heated windscreens, is this a big issue for the 510 (enough that getting an external antenna is a must)? It's a new car (Toyota Camry) so I've yet to try my PDA with SysOnChip. If the SysOnChip has no problems with the heated windscreens should I expect the 510 will also have no problems?

2) The software is built into the ROM from what I understand in the 510, so what use is the SmartST software that comes on CD? Can it be used on my PDA with the SysOnChip GPS.

3) Future maps, will they have to be purchased or are map upgrades available free? (I would expect maps for other countries to be an extra cost, am only interested in upgrades of the Australian maps that the unit comes with here to account for new roads/suburbs etc).

Thanks
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 510 Reply with quote

pelmen wrote:
I've been looking at a car nav system for my parents and the icn510 would suit our needs. I have a couple of quick questions hoepfully someone can answer:

1) Their car has heated windscreens, is this a big issue for the 510 (enough that getting an external antenna is a must)? It's a new car (Toyota Camry) so I've yet to try my PDA with SysOnChip. If the SysOnChip has no problems with the heated windscreens should I expect the 510 will also have no problems?

Whilst I can't speak for a Toyota, the iCN510 is the only form of Satnav I have known to pick up an unassisted signal through the athermic windscreen of my Renault. My Navman sleeve, Navman BT unit and even Navman's iCN6xx offering all fail miserably, whereas the 510 had no problems.

pelmen wrote:
2) The software is built into the ROM from what I understand in the 510, so what use is the SmartST software that comes on CD? Can it be used on my PDA with the SysOnChip GPS.

I don't think the software is built into the ROM, but I could be wrong. As I understand it the App is on the SD card, so that if the iCN battey goes flat you can reinstall the software from the SD card as opposed to having to have a PC to hand. Furthermore, if your SD card becomes corrupted, you will be able to reinstall the App. using a PC. Also, the CDs contain the maps. There are times at which you might want to take some maps off and add others, hence the provision of the CDs.

pelmen wrote:
3) Future maps, will they have to be purchased or are map upgrades available free? (I would expect maps for other countries to be an extra cost, am only interested in upgrades of the Australian maps that the unit comes with here to account for new roads/suburbs etc).

Thanks

Unfortunately Navman are not as enlightened as say, Tomtom, in the matter of map updates, although I understand that Australia got a cheap update which wasn't offered to the Eu or US, much to the chagrin of users on those continents.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: