Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC in the UK for BMW 3 series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC in the UK for BMW 3 series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nichnic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: TMC in the UK for BMW 3 series Reply with quote

Hi. Hope someone can help - I am only now trying to understand about TMC. I have a BMW 3 series equiped with a factory fitted navigation system which reads maps on CD, not the newer DVDs.

When I used a European CD map in Europe (provided by BMW) the TMC function worked without a hitch. However when using the UK map the TMC function does not work at all in the UK, and it seems the function is not supported. I have noticed that all of the European maps provided support TMC but none of the UK maps. Why is this? Is this a compatibility issue for the UK, not supporting CDs or what?

When I spoke to BMW UK they could not explain why, but rather explained that I would need to have a DVD reader to use the new maps on DVD to allow the TMC function to be supported.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all down to the TMC data being licenced (and therefore costing £/$/€ to the SatNav program suppliers - who pass it on).

You have exactly the same situation in your BMW as Renault owners have had up until recently where the data is there, the TMC transmissions are there, the map maker has it, but car manufacturer chose to not pay for the TMC add on (probably to save about €20 on the total cost of the vehicle).
nichnic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I see what you are sying but that does not explain why when I used the manufacturers' European CD map in Europe the system works fine. Is it the case therefore that ONLY the UK map CDs do not support it?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichnic wrote:
Thanks. I see what you are sying but that does not explain why when I used the manufacturers' European CD map in Europe the system works fine. Is it the case therefore that ONLY the UK map CDs do not support it?
It's simply that the additional TMC data is not on the UK CD...

I suspect that although BMW do now provide TMC data for the UK, the only ones with the data are DVD based, and hence no use to you.

If you can find the original manufacturer of the unit (eg VDO Dayton) you may find that their latest generic mapping CD (with TMC) will work (this is what the Renault drivers found - the Renault CD did not (*) have the TMC data, whereas the VDO Dayton CD did have, and worked fine (**))

(*) Renault have now resolved this, and very soon official Renault CDs will be available with TMC

(**) Not all functions worked - some more advanced functions (though I know not what) did not work, so it was not perfect.
nichnic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I have spoke to VDO Dayton who confirmed to me that their CD would be incompatible. Tele Atlas, however, do provide a CD with TMC codes and confirm that it is compatible with BMW's factory fitted system.

Its a pity there isn't conformity across all their products. I must admit that BMW were not very helpful in at least trying to explain why I have had this problem. Thanks you to a very helpful Forum!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: