Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My limited experience with TT3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My limited experience with TT3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: My limited experience with TT3 Reply with quote

I've only recently started using GPS navigating software, first with TT2 which came with the first PDA I owned then Just recently with TT3 which was with it's replacement.

My setup is an Acer N10 and Haicom CF receiver. Maps are stored on SD cards with TT3 in memory.

I experience occasional lockups of TT or TT is working but some of the features don't i.e. unable to switch to A-B route planning from the map view.

All of these problems are rectified with a soft reset and TT will restart with any route already input prior to the reset still intact.

I have always been given sensible routes for the few long distance UK journeys I have made. I suppose I am fortunate not to have wanted to visit a place that is not in the map database.

I recently visited France on holiday and used TT to navigate from home to the hotel I stayed in the night prior to sailing then on to the ferry terminal the following morning. Everything went fine. The only problem I had was an un-noticed lockup while waiting to go through customs in Calais which I first thought was the GPS receiver having problems locking onto the sattelites. Because I didn't check and decided to drive on while waiting for the sattelite lock, I ended up going the wrong way on the motorway. When I realised the problem, a quick reset and I was back on track. The rest of the time in France, TT found everything I threw at it and correctly navigated me to every destination I threw at it.

The issue with entering in locations was an issue as the time taken to populate the drop down list made the PDA appear to have frozen and sometimes the town appeared to be missing from the database. However, I was pretty impressed with the performance. I now, where possible, enter the route I need the night before which has the added advantage of giving you an idea of the time needed to travel which helps in deciding what time to depart. On most occassions the estimated time was +/- 5 or 10 minutes. The only time it was way out was in it's estimation to reach my destionation from the point I realised the lockup when I first got to France and then it was out by -30 minutes.

I am satisfied with the product so far and I always carry road atlasses with me when going to 'new' places just in case. My advice for those who use navigating software on a regular basis is this...... DON'T rely on it 100%. If you expect it to be infallible then you are asking for trouble. I always find that anything computer related WILL let you down at the most inconvenient time so always have a contingency plan.

When I was in France, I checked the route against a road atlas and when I decided the route was ok Then and only then I relied on the voice prompts.

This is of course only my experience and my opinion but I am a satisfied user.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one.

I have been using it for two years now, from TT1, and feel much the same as you. I planned the route through France and Europe and used Itinerary to save the route I wanted to go (avoiding tolls etc) I also carry maps, and occasionally it has let me down, but generally it works OK and is an excellent product. I miss it if I do not take it with me, so that is telling me something......!
Laughing

Steve
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi storeman and welcome thats got to be one most sensable things ive read in a long time and very true if your still getting lock ups then try unckecking show poi it right at the top of the poi page in the properties the pois will still be there but the wont show on the map
recently i gave my jornada to my dad load with tt2 this rare be cause it has the sd battery pack and has always locked up on me untill i inchecked the show pois now it running sweetly no lock ups either

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
storeman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alix776, I very rarely use the POI. Mainly I use them when trying to find awkward places that you don't know how they are listed - i.e. In France I used the POI to show the ferry terminals as I couldn't figure out what to put into the route planner. When the ferry terminals where showing on the Map view, I tapped and held the stylus on the icon and chose 'Set as deoarture' on the pop-up menu. Other than that I use POI to show petrol stations when running low on fuel or airports, railway stations. hotels etc. if I know I need to be near them.

I used to run checkpoint but now I tend to stick close to the speed limits anyway, with the new speed detectors, by the time you have been notified, you have probably already been caught. Using checkpoint and the 'Safety Camera' database tended to make me complacent and I have nearly fallen foul of a couple of unknown portable speed traps over motorways and major dual carriageways - Notably one where unmanned speed detectors where positioned over the motorway and relayed info to a waiting police car further down the motorway. This one was just outside of Newcastle on the M1 headed south just south of the Angel of the North.
davidj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had frequent lock ups, TTN3 with 5555 Ipaq and a wired GPS. I have since learnt that if I exit TTN (using the Exit Application icon) rather than letting my ipaq hibernate with the program running I have no problems at all (refuelling etc). I show POI's but like storeman I no longer use checkpoint.

I use TTN3 every working day, most addresses come from a POI file created by my colleagues and myself. I would hate to loose this excellent product.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have since learnt that if I exit TTN (using the Exit Application icon) rather than letting my ipaq hibernate with the program running I have no problems at all (refuelling etc).

Snap...
Except that since upgrading to 3.03 I've noticed that after a week of being naughty and NOT exiting TT before turning off, I've had NO problems with starting up again.
More investigations needed but after a week of heavy use in Northimberland, the only 2 lockups I had were after a clean start.

In one the screen froze and in the second, my display went dark and I had to do a soft reset.
Andy_Hill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guy's using SD or CF?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: