Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kram
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database Reply with quote

Thanks for the new version. From the Autoroute image and file size it looks like there are a lot more cameras included in this version. Smile

A few questions though....

1) How can I tell (without trying to compare by hand) whether this version includes cameras that I've mailed in? It would be useful if you could just send a quick reply please when you process an email stating whether the cameras have been accepted or not. I sent a batch in recently but currently don't know whether they are included in this version or not. If they aren't then I might prefer to wait for a later version when they are rather than use the new database and effectively move backwards in terms of coverage of my local area because the ones I added haven't been included yet.

2) You mentioned that a future version would have numbered cameras so that we could start telling you which cameras are no longer there. This version appears not to be numbered. Any idea when we can start deleting please?

Cheers,

Mark.
Garry Platt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database Reply with quote

Fantasticooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
mountain
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by gstenson on 28 February 2003

Dunno if anyone can help here...I am trying to import this db into Mappoint 2002 Europe. I have used the dumpov2 tool from tomtom and dumped the contents to a TXT file.

Then using Excel have removed all the unneccessary text from the file to leave nothing but the coordinates. Everytime I try and get Mappoint to import the file it simply says 'There was problem opening the file...'

Anyone help here because this is driving me crazy!

Thanks

I'm assuming that Map Point is very similar to Autoroute. Here's how I get .ov2 into Autoroute. Using POIEdit (available here), open .ov2 file then save it out as a .asc file. Then in Autoroute use the 'Import Data Wizard' to import the .asc you just saved off (use the drop downs to define which data field is longitude and which is latitude).

This is assuming that Map Point has an 'Import Data Wizard'

Piers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

gstension, if you've converted it to text, have you saved it csv format ? eg , (comma) between fields ? You may also have to give it column names.   TBH I haven't used Mappoint so I'm not overly sure.

Mark, Re your first question, it's a good idea. I'll talk to Duncan about this. Perhaps we can post on the website that all submissions by this date have been entered into the database. Re your second question, we're currently looking at this. To do this requires an immense amount of work as we need to catalog every addition, deletion, duplicate. Each camera has to have it's own unique number, and if we delete them using the current processes then all the numbers will change against the cameras, which makes it really difficult to tie a camera number to a camera if people are using different versions of the database. We're going to be moving this to a database format shortly with a staging database, Duncan and Mike are on the case, hopefully future versions will have a number assigned to each camera, although I'm not sure if it will be in place for the next release as Duncan's taking a hard earned break. We'll certainly try to get it in place as soon as possible though as it will help us immensley!

Gary, Cowabunga Dude!
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to sound thick, I have the first release of your database installed, do I just copy the new release to the map directory and overwrite the existing file or do I have to import the new camera database and merge the two together.

Fantastic job, I also like many others have been collecting cameras and will mail them.

Richard
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It depends what add-on you're running. With GPSAssist what I do is go into GPSAssist, under the POI Manager screen and delete our OV2 file, you'll then see an Active button. I then exit GPS Assist, overwrite the OV2 in the TomTom Navigator map directory (eg Great Britain), then run up GPSAssist and hit the ACTIVE button and it will then bring it into GPSAssist. If you like seeing cameras on the map, you may want to check in the PROPERTIES screen, then POI and check that the OV2 is ticked to be shown.

POI-Warner I'll have to look at as I haven't run it for a while, although the rest of the team does so they might be able to jump in and help out.

Beware though if you do it the way suggested above, it will delete any cameras you have recorded!
GuyC
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the new release, a lot of the missing cameras are now included.

I have found that a lot of the new POIs in the latest release in the London Area are not GATSO's but cameras for detecting traffic light jumping.

Please introduce the numbering system asap and if possible keep the comments, the first release had suggested speeds the latest release has no comments.
bobby
Occasional Visitor

Someone help please......

New to this equipment!!!

Just got a iPAQ 3970, have a GPS receiver and tomtom navigator and have downloaded the speedtrap databaase etc.

Do i just import the data or do I need an additional tool alongside navigator for it to pop up when on a journey?
GuyC
Occasional Visitor

If you put the .ov2 file in the same directory as your map then you will be able to select it for display from properties/POIs within TTN. The cameras will then appear on your map.

However if you want a warning that you are approaching a camera you need to get POI Warner or GPSAssist, see the reviews on this site.
simkna
Regular Visitor

<<However if you want a warning that you are approaching a camera you need to get POI Warner or GPSAssist, see the reviews on this site.>>

Or CheckPOInt. I used to use GPSassist, but have now moved over to Checkpoint, and it works a treat. It's simple and most importantly, has a small memory footprint. The only thing I really miss from GPSassist is the multi-destination and Contacts integration (which was pretty clunky anyway), and they are both in TTN2. As a POI warner, you can't go far wrong with CheckPOInt, IMHO, especially as it's free!!

Si.
bobby
Occasional Visitor

How do I get the ov2 file into the map directory?

Sounds obvious but I am currently struggling to detaich the files from an email?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Just copy it in Bobby. Dock your Pocket PC in the cradle, then open up ActiveSync and click the Explore button. Navigate to the TomTom Navigator map directory (eg Great Britain-sits off root), then just copy it from your PC to the explorer window you have open to your Pocket PC.
TimB
Occasional Visitor

Dear Mountain

Thanks for the link to POIEdit. I have succeeded in using it to convert the Pocket GPS camera OV2 file to asci text file. Then edited in Excel and imported it into Memory map Navigator. (See MMN tech support bulletin #3)

Works a treat!!

Only problem is I can't set proximity alarms for all at once - I think they would have to be done one at a time! (only 1,349 of them) so that won't happen.

Anyone know if there is a way to get around that?

Many, many thanks to all at PGPS for the database and what continues to be an excellent site.

Tim

Jimbo
Occasional Visitor

I've been using the Safety Camera Database with POI Warner and have found it to be brilliant - many thanks. I have so far not sent in any of the "new" cameras I have passed, ie those which are not in the second release, on the basis that you will have been flooded with them. Is there any news on likely timing of the next release? If it is some time away, shall I start to submit some of my discovered camera sites?
Snafu
Occasional Visitor

Hey we should all send in the cameras we have clocked. Who knows what has been sent in.

I am sure these guys have software that will find any duplicates, and protect people not from your area.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: