Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database Reply with quote

Dave,

I have a list of a number of GATSOs in Oxfordshire (over 70) and a few other counties. This data is sent out in an ad hoc newsletter to a few friends. I have visited most of the sites to get a GPS reading. The trouble is that the locations are in Ordnance Survey grid reference. I use a Garmin 12XL hand held GPS unit - with Map Datum set to "ORD SRVY GB" and Position Format set to "BRITISH GRID". An example of the Data:

Kidlington {Oxon} - Speed GATSO Reversible

A4260 (40mph zone, in centre of road, near shops and the entrance to Thames Valley Police HQ)

Grid Reference: Map 164, SP 49753 12745 (GPS reading taken 17/06/2001)

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=449753&Y=212745&A=Y&Z=1

If these details are acceptable, and you can convert the details to something that can be used then you are welcome to use it.

Regards,

Privateer

gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database Reply with quote

Great thanks for this! Excellent.

Any ideas how many cameras are on this database at the mo?
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

Answered my own questions...828 cameras Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Privateer, can you send them to us at cameras@pocketgpsworld.com and we'll take a look. I'm sure we can get them converted to Lat/Long, if not we can certainly use Streetmap to locate them and enter them manually.

gstenson, you are correct, but we're already nearing a thousand on the next database update.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

Dont know if you have been here but here is a site I found on google that has around 270 cameras:

http://www.woodyland.org/speedcam/

I will convert and send in!
Kram
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 14 February 2003

Mark, what we're going to do in future versions is to put a description next to each camera, but more importantly a numeric number, so what you'll be able to do is drop back to Map view in TomTom Navigator and tap on the camera, and then email us the camera number.

Sounds good, thanks.

Understood re. not wanting to remove sites that often have mobile/temporary cameras but I was thinking of sites where fixed cameras have been moved.

There is a location near me where they rejigged a 1/2 mile piece of road and moved the cameras several hundred yards. Once the OV2 has numbered locations then I'll be happy to go and re-map that area.

Mark.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Privateer on 14 February 2003

Dave,

Kidlington {Oxon} - Speed GATSO Reversible

A4260 (40mph zone, in centre of road, near shops and the entrance to Thames Valley Police HQ)

Grid Reference: Map 164, SP 49753 12745 (GPS reading taken 17/06/2001)

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=449753&Y=212745&A=Y&Z=1

If these details are acceptable, and you can convert the details to something that can be used then you are welcome to use it.

Regards,

Privateer

Privateer,

The format for the cameras is fine. If Duncan cant convert them I certainly can so just send them in asnd we will get them added.

grahamwalker
Regular Visitor

Can I just add my thanks to your all at PocketGPS for pulling this together. Well done. Much appreciated.
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

Dave,

Just a thought.... Whilst you chaps are compiling your excellent Camera Database, how about a seperate database for when entering the "London Congestion Charge" area ?

Steve
RobMob
Regular Visitor

How's the next update coming along - have you had many more locations emailed to you?

RobMob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Thanks to everyone that's captured and emailed us new Safety Cameras over the past couple of weeks. We've had a lot of new cameras come in that we've tried to verify and remove duplicate entries on, and here is the result. The 2nd Edition of the Safety Camera Database!

The Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database can be used with both GPSAssist and POI-Warner for TomTom Navigator.
Kieran
Occasional Visitor

Excellent! thanks for all your hard work in producing this. Together with TTN and GPSassist I nearly have the perfect combo Smile all we need now is a good traffic conjestion warning service!

Thanks again, Kieran

mountain
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Kieran on 28 February 2003

all we need now is a good traffic conjestion warning service!

There is TrafficMaster, their website is here. Looks like their cheapest product is £79 for unit and first years subscription and then £30/year after that.

Piers
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 27 February 2003

Thanks to everyone that's captured and emailed us new Safety Cameras over the past couple of weeks.

Excellent work ....I should have all the camera locations in Warwickshire logged in the next couple of weeks and emailed in, surprisingly there aren't that many.

Peter

gstenson
Frequent Visitor

Dunno if anyone can help here...I am trying to import this db into Mappoint 2002 Europe. I have used the dumpov2 tool from tomtom and dumped the contents to a TXT file.

Then using Excel have removed all the unneccessary text from the file to leave nothing but the coordinates. Everytime I try and get Mappoint to import the file it simply says 'There was problem opening the file...'

Anyone help here because this is driving me crazy!

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: