Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom nav 3 navman gps3400
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom nav 3 navman gps3400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: tomtom nav 3 navman gps3400 Reply with quote

Hello , i have a problem with the navman gps 3400 and tomtom navigator 3 pactch 3.0.3 . i´m using navman 3.1.6 driver and after some time of good navigation with tomtom the application freeses.
This is working in a ipac 5450 and pocket pc 2003 .

thanks
Rgds Paulo Amaral
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try using the old GPS driver 2.07 and see if it has the same issue?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
paa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: update 2.07 Reply with quote

hello, can you tell me where can i find the only the 2.07 navman gps version or if i have to install the smartst professional again to have that gps version installed. And if the 3.1.6 is only an update do i nedd to install the upgate over the 2.07 version to fix the problems with the 2.07, because when i have the pocket 2002 and the tomtom version 2 only with the 3.1.6 version evrything was working fine.

thanks
Rgds Paulo Amaral
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not confuse numbers here.

You need three distinct pieces of software

- the jacket driver (you have version 3.1.6 which is ok)
- the TomTom Navigator software (3.03)
- the TomTom GPS driver. Here you should try and use the version 2.07 which is in our downloads section.

Then Navman jacket driver has nothing to do with the TomTom versions. It is required for all GPS programs .

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
kmmoore1013
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 pence worth.

I recently had to re-install my GPS software as I (foolishly) let my battery run down completely and my iPAQ lost everything.

Anyway, it had been a while since I had installed it, and I wasn't completely 100% certain of what I needed, so I installed the TomTom 3 software, the 3.03 update, the 3.03 GPS driver and the 3.1.6 serial driver.

Not a bean. The TomTom software worked fine, the GPS software loaded OK and searched for a signal, but never got a lock no matter what I set the receiver and COM port to.

Anyway, after checking here I remembered that I used the 2.07 GPS software last time. So I uninstalled the 3.03 GPS software and installed the 2.07 GPS software (which can be found on this site), set the receiver type as TomTom GPS (iPAQ Sleeve) and the COM port as COM6, and hey presto, everything sprang into life. Thumbs Up

About 45 seconds later, I had a 7 signal lock and everything worked great.

Just to add, I am using an iPAQ 3970, Navman 3400 sleeve and TomTom 3 software, plus I am using the anti-static bag trick which makes a big difference on TTFF times and also number of satellites locked onto. I would recommend you try this Paulo.

Anyway, yet again this site proves invaluable in helping me out with my GPS and I hope, Paulo, you can get your system up and running. It sounds like all you need is the 2.07 GPS software installed.

Cheers,
Kevin.
paa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks i will try with tis cfg and them let you know.

Rgds Pa
skyhigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same config - 5450,3450 navman, tomtom3 and tomtom kept freezing. I loaded the maps to the SD card on the ipaq and then using the tomtom hack (found on this site) I also rellocated the navigator software to the sd card no more freezes or perormance issues.
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Problems with Navman GPS Jacket Reply with quote

Hi, if I list my equipment first it may help...

Hardware

Compaq IPAQ 3970 (Upgraded to Pocket PC 2003)

Navman GPS Jacket 3000 (I think) Its definitely not an SE or a Compaq special with a 128MB Compact flash card with just the UK maps on it

Software

The software / drivers are all installed on the IPAQ and not on the C/F card.

TomTom Traffic 3.07T

TomTom GPS Driver 2.07

NAVMAN GPS Info 1.3

NAVMAN Driver (3.1.6)

I've been using TT 2 and version 3 then 3+Traffic for ages now with no real problems. However since installing the latest version of TT traffic (3.07T) my poor little GPS has not been the same...

I've tried removing the GPS driver which came with TT 3.07T and installing the earlier 2.07 driver with no effect. I can “see” the satellites OK (Grey bars appear quite quickly) but it’s having real difficulty locking on to them.

When it eventually does get a lock (normally over an hour latter) its fine and can quite quickly re-lock on if there is a temporary signal loss (tunnels etc). Indeed I achieved a magic 10 last week in Norfolk which is a first for me.

I’m now clutching at straws as I can’t sit in a stationary car for an hour before each journey. I’m pretty sure it’s a software config issue, but I can’t figure out what…

I've read on this web site that the NAVMAN 3.16 driver is a patch, should this be applied on its own or should I have installed it over a previous driver?

I'm happy to hard reset my IPAQ and reinstall everything, but am not sure of the order to re-install the software / drivers etc or indeed if this makes any difference.. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Henry
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you do a soft reset and then run GPS Info? Do you get a quick or slow initial fix?
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it, same old probelm, can see satelites (2-3) but can't (won't / can't get a lock)

The installed driver is Navman (Com7: 57600)

Fix type Aq V

Receiver SW Version
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been for a nice long drive, nothing but 2-3 grey bars (no-fix) for an hour, stopped for 30 minutes and left my IPAQ / Navman running.

Got back to the car and its got a fix, which lasted all the way back home with no probelms.

Getting the first fix from cold on my Navman jacket aways was slow, but normaly took less than 10 minutes. Not sure what I've done (apart from the install of TT 3.07T) to muck it up.

I'm tempted to hard-reset then go back to TT 3.06T
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how changing the version of Navigator would change anything - so long as you're using the same version of the sleeve driver and TomTom GPS.

It may be that the almanac in your Navman sleeve had corrupted - now that you've got a fix and left it running for some time, is it any better now?

If changing the software version has changed anything (he says, clutching at straws), it may have changed the RF noise coming out of the iPAQ. Many older Navman sleeves have rather poor noise immunity - hence the infamous anti-static bag trick. Many users found that putting a piece of a conductive bag in between the iPAQ and the sleeve (making sure it doesn't touch the 100 pin connector) improved the performance.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about if the sleeve's internal battery died at just the same time as the software update was carried out? I know it would be coincidental in the extreme, but it's a possibility.
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, tried the bag trick etc and still no joy Sad

The really annoying thing is that the receiver seems to have no problem with "seeing" the satellites even after a cold start. However its getting the final lock that seems to be so elusive.

Think its time to purchase some new technology (BT Receiver)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Henry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: