Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
1. Its complicated, she said. I explained that you just select from and to and off you go. Also if you use Trafficmaster and it tells you of an accident at Junc 28 then just turn off and CO Pilot will re route on the fly. She then asked "wouldn't it just take you back to the point you left the M25, for instance".......???? I assumed it wouldn't but do you turn north or south off the M25 for the better route? Would you have to pull over to make that choice on the screen? I guess she was aking about practical use of the product so how does that work in practice?

If you are using the traffic module (as an upgrade) then it will give you an option to avoid it and it should take you off at the next junction closest to the accident/incident. If you don't have the traffic module, then you can drive off the planned route, and it will re-route you. You may get asked to turn around, or it will try and take you back to the junction but as with most software, if you continue driving away it'll probably try and get you back on at the next junction or plan a new route from where you are. It really depends on what other routes are available.

topgazza wrote:
2. How do you listen to CDs etc is there a way to cut the CD out when a message is broadcast?

If you have an AUX in on your stereo, then it should come in over the top of your CD's. If you don't, you just listen to it through the Pocket PC Speaker.

topgazza wrote:
3. "If I wanted to go to Essex from Basingstoke wouldn't just choose straight through London as the shortest route?"

It depends on how it's configured, shortest or quickest.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. The other half has just read your response and gone "Oh......"
Half the battle to buy the Mitac Mio 168 & Co Pilot won!

I assume that software of this time would realise that going straight through London is the shortest but in no way the quickest. I know London but if I was travelling "up North" I would probably select shortest which could route me through the centre of some "nasty" citys. If in doubt go quickest would be the rule. Interested to see what the traffic option costs and if its better than my Traffic Master Freeway. Wife makes new point

Why don't they integrate Trafficmaster with Nav software?

Cost I tells her. Trafficmaster is expensive if you want more than Freeway. CoPilots offering should be a good compromise ...I hope.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Half the battle to buy the Mitac Mio 168 & Co Pilot won!

It's always good to get buy in from the other half. All you need to convince her now is that you need one each Wink

topgazza wrote:
I assume that software of this time would realise that going straight through London is the shortest but in no way the quickest. I know London but if I was travelling "up North" I would probably select shortest which could route me through the centre of some "nasty" citys. If in doubt go quickest would be the rule.

You also have the option to avoid areas that are in the Congestion Zone which can also be helpful if you don't want to pay the toll.

topgazza wrote:
Interested to see what the traffic option costs and if its better than my Traffic Master Freeway. Wife makes new point

Why don't they integrate Trafficmaster with Nav software?

Cost I tells her. Trafficmaster is expensive if you want more than Freeway. CoPilots offering should be a good compromise ...I hope.

Traffic Master won't be integrated, there is a dedicated product called SmartNav but it's a no-screen attempt at Navigation with a computer in the boot a button on the dashboard, you call the operator and they'll send you directions. It'll also route you around traffic incidents. For the Pocket PC or CoPilot, these applications use data from the AA. It's not cheap, that's why several companies are already charging subscription charges, but ALK say they won't, just a one time upgrade will cover it. This will give you a pop-up screen to alert you and give you the option of dismissing the alert, or re-routing around the traffic incident.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of a totally integrated system with seamless traffic/Nav and nappy changing facilities is never going to happen in my view. Too mnay differing interests and commercial drivers. We might get close and the thought of Trafficmaster & say Co pilot in a fully integrated system is of course technically possible but with RDS providing some alternative if flaky help the cost, in my view, would be prohibative over its worth. After all no one really like subscription based charging. You want to pays your money and be done with it. At least I do with products like this.

No, the Co Pilot/AA approach might well be a decent compromise and I will be placing my order with Evesham today.

Thanks again Dave for a great review.
gmusser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Installation problems Reply with quote

Has anyone else had trouble installing CoPilot Live 5? I've run into problems with both the PocketPC and desktop install.

For the former, I kept getting an out-of-memory error even though the SD card to which I was installing had well over 200MB of free space. I was able to solve this by installing first to main memory, then re-installing to the card. Goodness knows why that worked.

But I still haven't been able to get the desktop install to work. The problem occurs right at the very end of the process, where I get a "vcf132.ocx failed to register" error. I'm running Win98 second edition.

George
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give ALK a call because for some reason it's not registering the OCX. I don't know why it's doing this, but you may already have this OCX installed from another program and that's locking it open.

In theory you could throw open a dos box and type "regsvr32 vcf132.ocx /u"

If it unregisters successfully, then try re-installing again. However like I said I'm not sure what vcf132.ocx is and this might cause you other problems by doing so and overwriting it. If you do a search on Google you're not alone, a lot of people seem to have the same problem registering vcf132.ocx in many different applications.
gmusser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, when I run regsvr32 manually, I get a LoadLibrary ("vcf132.ocx") failed error. I tried downloading other copies of vcf132.ocx off the net; regsvr32 registers them, but then when I run CoPilot, it gives me a TF1Book license invalid message.

George
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you're getting that error it's because some program is using that OCX file and you need to exit the application first. unfortunately I haven't looked at any developer DLL tools since Win31 days, but there should be some out there that tell you which programs are using which OCX files.

Personally I would give ALK a call come Tuesday and they may have a quick fix.
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Voice options in CoPilot Live version 5 Reply with quote

Just a quibble with the review. Only two voice options are available in the UK/Europe software as released. These are:

Male TTS
Female WAV

I have now been using CoPilot Live for just over a week and find it a step up in ease of use and functionality compared to Navman SmartST version 2.

I was a little surprised to find that CoPilot does not give "take the nth exit" instructions at all full-size roundabouts, indeed I have come across cases where there is no voice guidance at all given at a roundabout. Has anyone else had the same problem? I have reported a case to ALK but until I see their reply I am not sure whether this is a bug or a feature.

John
xantia
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just been looking at CoPilot again with a view to using it for a trip to Holland, unless I am missing something CoPilot does not know about Eurotunnel. ??

Mike
xantia
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, its listed under Channel Tunnel.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Problems with CoPilot Topic created. Reply with quote

Ted, I have created a special topic for your posts as this is cluttering up the review thread and really is best to be suited and addressed in it's own thread for others to read.

Problems with CoPilot Live - Returning for refund

The thread can be read here.
redrocket
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Loads of information !!!! Reply with quote

:D Just discovered Pocket GPS World today and as a PDA GOS novice it's just what I've been looking for. I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this question but it's as near as I can get without spending days looking through the whole site !!!

I've been contemplating CoPilot 5 on a Fujitsu Loox 720 after I doscovered Navman said that they don't support the 720.

My options are either finding another Bluetooth GPS receiver or using a CF receiver.

So, the main question, If you use a CF receiver what does it typically do to the PDA battery life ?

Some, but not all of the use I plan for the PDA will be walking or cycling and I still need a GPS receiver for Memory Map. A CF receiver is a nice compact solution but if it kills the PDA battery life then that's a problem.

The other option is a Bluetooth receiver with eg. AAA batteries like the Navman 4420 but I've not seen anyone other than Navman doing one yet and I am not inclined to go with Navman when their web site registers the incompatibility mentioned earlier.

Any comments welcome

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: