Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au contraire mon ami, handhelds do support more than one Bluetooth connection at a time (if they use different profiles at least) - it's the phones that are thick. So, my h2210 does Bluetooth to the BT GPS (using an emulated serial port COM8) and to the phone for GPRS for traffic (using a Bluetooth dial-up modem) at the same time. But the phone cannot also handle a Bluetooth headset while this is going on.

Neil
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Will traffic work with a BT GPS. Reply with quote

Anvar wrote:
I was wondering about the traffic updates, how will that work? I assume you have to create a BT connection to your phone, how will that work out if you have a BT GPS receiver? Most (if any) handhelds don't support 2 BT connections at a time.

I haven't tried it as I have been running off a serial connection, but I think you will be able to do it, the only limitation you have is if you try to use a handsfree BT headset on the mobile at the same time that there's a BT connection from the PPC to the phone.
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Speedcam with regards to the outrageous upgrade costs - this appears to be a topic which is being glossed over and would strongly advise anybody to seriously compare this to other competitors before purchasing CP V5, a good example is Tomtom. I have already made my views clear on this as have a few others on the "Sticky topic on CP Pricing for V5" or on the link below

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10362&sid=942aafc677e190aed142dbcf4f3075c9
davast
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Dave. As a digruntled TTN3 user I have ordered CoPilot 5 software for my hp iPAQ 2210 & SOC CF Plus GPS receiver. I have T2T extra 64mb internal ram, is it possible to put CPL5 into that or onto an SD card with the maps or does it have to go in main memory.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install it to SD/CF card, Lutz is currently writing a US based review where he has tested this and this should be released soon, but Lutz hasn't had any problem installing this to storage card. There are some large files that will get installed to the main memory section like large WAV files and Help files, which can be deleted manually if you don't need them.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave do you know if co pilot 5 will work without registering it when used with a co pilot compact flash or bluetooth reciever like in 4?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot will work with any GPS Receiver, but you have to activate it against ALK's Activation server.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dave
ive re-read you review and understand the activation process
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I am getting a bit frustrated with my icn 630 with its inflexability and I am thinking of getting a PDA with Copilot 5 after your rav review but can you elaborate on the Ireland maps.

Does 'even better coverage' mean that Navteq's maps are now more up to date than Tele Atlas's on my Navman icn 630.

Here in Ireland there has been a massive amount of money set aside for motorways across the Republic for the next five years and even now there are huge discrepancies with Tele Atla'ss late 2003 maps on most main roads across the country.

One big omission is the fact that to accomodate Dublin's new Luas light street rail network Dublin Corporation has reversed the traffic flow around St Stephens Green - a major landmark in central Dublin city.

It would be the same as reversing the traffic around Piccadily Circus in London and its surrounding streets.

One other question I have downloaded (I can't remember where) the Tele Atlas Multinet product sheet which gives info for coverage for Ireland up to 2003.3.

Is there a pdf somehwere on the web showing detailed coverage (like the above Multinet product sheets) for Navteq's latest Ireland maps?
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as if by magic I do a search and up pops Navteq Connections website which as this very interesting piece.

"The UK field team faces a very different challenge in their coverage of Ireland - a lack of existing map data. Many villages and surrounding roads in Ireland are very remote. This means that Navigation Technologies' field team quite often has to map certain areas from scratch. They have already covered every major city in Ireland and soon the centre of every town and village will be mapped too. "We're seeing real growth in demand from car manufacturers and industry for coverage of Ireland and to meet this high level of interest our team is working flat out to ensure we've got it covered. It's highly labour intensive yet very satisfying as we're making routes, villages and tourist spots accessible that people might not have known even existed," Graham adds.

Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland:

Three new sections of the M1 motorway in the Republic of Ireland between Dublin and the border added.

All major cities covered

37,21 Points of Interest

45,00 km road added, with 20736km in total

466 named places

This is way ahead of Tele Atlas

It seems that Navteq are really putting serious effort into fully mapping Ireland - if Navman does not switch back to Navteq soon then I think I will switch to hardware manufacturers that only use Navteq maps.

Copilot 5 seems to be where I am headed.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
Dave,

I am getting a bit frustrated with my icn 630 with its inflexability and I am thinking of getting a PDA with Copilot 5 after your rav review but can you elaborate on the Ireland maps.

Does 'even better coverage' mean that Navteq's maps are now more up to date than Tele Atlas's on my Navman icn 630.

I'm glad you liked the review! NAVTEQ is definitely ahead in the Ireland/Northern Ireland mapping compared to TeleAtlas. There is much more coverage. I haven't seen any TeleAtlas maps since May so TeleAtlas may have also re-mapped Ireland and updated their maps, but as it stands from current software releases you'll find more coverage from newer maps using NAVTEQ data like CoPilot 5.

kevmac YTY wrote:
Here in Ireland there has been a massive amount of money set aside for motorways across the Republic for the next five years and even now there are huge discrepancies with Tele Atla'ss late 2003 maps on most main roads across the country.

The main problem with TeleAtlas has been that they prefer to map out where the population resides, so mapping of Dublin and other large towns will be great, but major roads and other town coverage will be poor. NAVTEQ usually don't go for population and go for overall coverage, and that certainly has increased in their latest data set.

kevmac YTY wrote:
One big omission is the fact that to accomodate Dublin's new Luas light street rail network Dublin Corporation has reversed the traffic flow around St Stephens Green - a major landmark in central Dublin city.

If it's something that's fairly recent, then Id suspect NAVTEQ won't have it either as it does take time to re-map a country.

kevmac YTY wrote:
One other question I have downloaded (I can't remember where) the Tele Atlas Multinet product sheet which gives info for coverage for Ireland up to 2003.3.

Is there a pdf somehwere on the web showing detailed coverage (like the above Multinet product sheets) for Navteq's latest Ireland maps?

At the moment, I don't believe so, but I am arranging for the PocketGPSWorld.com team to meet with NAVTEQ as they have permitted us to tour one of their data collection centre's in the near future and to see how maps are built from the ground up, so it'll be something that I'll be requesting.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it after hours on google.

PDF of Navteq's latest map coverage but it's weird that Navteq put it on their business orientated site rather than the usual Navteq.com

And as you said Dave, the coverage of Ireland over Tele Atlas's is impressive.

[url]www.navteq-connections.com/servlet/GetFile/ busienss_and_consumer_product_sheet_english_q1_04.pdf?id=1222[/url]
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or does this work

www.navteq-connections.com/servlet/GetFile/ busienss_and_consumer_product_sheet_english_q1_04.pdf?id=1222
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut and paste it - it does download.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showing the review to my, non techie, wife she had a few comments.

1. Its complicated, she said. I explained that you just select from and to and off you go. Also if you use Trafficmaster and it tells you of an accident at Junc 28 then just turn off and CO Pilot will re route on the fly. She then asked "wouldn't it just take you back to the point you left the M25, for instance".......???? I assumed it wouldn't but do you turn north or south off the M25 for the better route? Would you have to pull over to make that choice on the screen? I guess she was aking about practical use of the product so how does that work in practice?

2. How do you listen to CDs etc is there a way to cut the CD out when a message is broadcast?

3. "If I wanted to go to Essex from Basingstoke wouldn't just choose straight through London as the shortest route?"

There were more and I figure for many here these aren't difficult but for the uninitiated I think they are valid questions. Any help in explaining this sort of thing would be appreciated

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: