Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live | Pocket PC 5 Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easygeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Problems Reply with quote

Hi, I have tested copilot 5 covering over 10,000 miles with it and experienced a lot of problems and reverted back to 3.5, can you tell me if these problems have been resolved..

1. The blue wash bug that appeared on V4 appeared as a sandy coloured wash which appeared to happen quite a lot.

2. If you have you maps on an older cf card be prepared to wait several minutes in between destination input as it searches for roads etc in built up areas, for instance if I put London the went for Oxford Street I would have to wait a good 5 minutes for it to find Oxford St. (Works fine with the very latest cards)

3.No drivers for Navman type sleeve

4.Input any town then put high st and it gives you a whole list of high streets but does not tell you what town they are in so you can only guess and could be miles out, this also occurs with all your regular names like Church lane etc etc

5.I do lots of regular runs of which I used to use V4, I found the routing on V5 to not be so good, especially in London where it was not being very sensible unless you fancied seeing the sites rather than heading home.
naquada
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked with ALK... the software will be with them in 2 weeks, so you can order the UK software then, and it will ship over night.

The upgrade from INS or previous versions of co-pilot will remain at £100 plus p&p for co-pilot 5

Traffic support wont be 'turned on' until later on in the year, and is different to what was described in the manul of copilot 4 (i..e the map showed speeds on the roads themselves ala the itis website etc)

I'm swapping from HP's INS to copilot, just because it seems teamwarrior dont really support co-pilot like they should...

m6 toll here we come!!!
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Will V5 work with my existing European Copilot maps? Reply with quote

I have the complete Europe map set that I use with v4.5, any idea if I can just upgrade the software or do I have to buy all new maps?

Thanks,
Jon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Map movement Reply with quote

ftlum wrote:
Great review! From the demo on their website, it looks like the maps don't move, but rather the "you are here" icon moves across the screen. Is this correct? If so, is this a better or worse navigation technique?

It does a bit of both.

UHF wrote:
Got a couple questions for you:
Does it snap to roads and if so, can it be disabled?

Yes it does snap to road, it can't be disabled but there is a walking option and I think this turns off the snap to road, etc.

UHF wrote:
The map moves and the icon stays centered correct? Teletype sucks since the icon moves and the map is stationary.

Not quite, what happens is the pointer moves from the lowest point on the screen to about the half way mark, then the map will scroll down and the pointer will appear at the base of the screen again. If you're approaching a junction then it will zoom the map in at that stage.

UHF wrote:
Will it support VGA screens like the HP Ipaq 4700 or Toshiba e805?

Yes

UHF wrote:
Does it show accracy anywhere? Like on the GPS status screen?

It will show the type of Fix, Lat/Long, Heading, Speed, Elevation, UTC Time, UTC Date, PDOP.

UHF wrote:
Does it leave a trail, bread crumb trail or anything showing where you have been?

Yes if you want it to, it can be turned on and off.

UHF wrote:
Can the trail be saved?

The track you drive, yes it can be saved.

UHF wrote:
Are street names show in the 3D mode? It doesn't look like it.

Not by default, but you can tap/hold a street and it will show the name.

UHF wrote:
Can you select how much detail to display on the map? PMN doesn't and you get what they show at any given zoom level.

No ability to change detail.

ftlum wrote:
One more question-- how would you rate the text to speech quality compared to Pocketmap Navigator? I thought the sample you posted was pretty good.

I haven't tried Pocketmap Navigator myself, but Lutz has and should be able to comment on speech quality.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ALK have been watching you as it's no longer there.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Do you know (indeed have you tried) if CoPilot 5 software will work alongside TomTom 3.0.3/3.0.4T (one at a time obviously) and with the TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver?

Regards
Neil
sgt-spam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:
Dave,

Do you know (indeed have you tried) if CoPilot 5 software will work alongside TomTom 3.0.3/3.0.4T (one at a time obviously) and with the TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver?

Regards
Neil

I tried something similar with two GPS packages and my BT GPS receiver.

My Emtac Trine supports multiple BT serial connections, but my iPAQ only supports one outgoing BT serial connection, therefore this doesn't work for me.

I can have my BT headset connected to my iPAQ along with the BT GPS receiver just fine (headset doesn't use a serial connection)...

Unless your handheld supports multiple serial connections, it probably won't work.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're being ripped off again....

The UK upgrade is only available for CoPilot products, and not for competitors products which I can understand, but what I disagree with is the price difference considering the current exchange rate:

US Upgrade price : $99 = £55

UK Upgrade price : 150 euros = £105

What additional functionallity are we receiving that justifies the £50 price hike ? Maybe ALK can answer this ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:

Neil, yes it will. In-fact all software will work side by side, running only one at a time installed to the same Pocket PC. If any software didn't, for whatever reason, we would be the first to create alot of fuss about this, as we need to have most of the applications installed across several Pocket PC's for all the testing and reviews we do, and not only that, the post review support in the forums :D
sgt-spam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sgt-spam"]
NMatthew wrote:
(one at a time obviously)

I misread this part - don't I feel silly?! Embarassed

Sorry about that. Wink
starstreak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave-
Can someone tell me how well are the maps for Hawaii (Oahu)? Granted its a small Island, but I live there and hate reading maps.

Also, does it really say street names? Or just "left turn ahead"?

Do you know if Pharos BT gps is supported?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get Lutz to comment on ths when he's had a good chance to take a look.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

In-fact all software will work side by side, running only one at a time installed to the same Pocket PC. If any software didn't, for whatever reason, we would be the first to create alot of fuss about this

The question was partly raised because of TomTom GPS driver's notorious inability to live in peace with other applications as it insists on grabbing the COM port even when Navigator is not running. I assume from your answer that version 3.0.3 of TomTom GPS is better behaved, and that the TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver is sufficiently standard to work with other applications.

Neil
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the TomTom ~ GPS fudge program installed and other programs won't work, then you will need to remove this before CoPilot and other apps will be able to work.
Anvar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Will traffic work with a BT GPS. Reply with quote

I was wondering about the traffic updates, how will that work? I assume you have to create a BT connection to your phone, how will that work out if you have a BT GPS receiver? Most (if any) handhelds don't support 2 BT connections at a time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: