Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq 1940 and TT3 nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 1940 and TT3 nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: ipaq 1940 and TT3 nav Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Sad Crying or Very sad
Hi guys just purchased ipaq 1940 and wired TT3nav system. Done the good IT person thing - ROM update to ipaq and software updates to TT but no dice with getting the system to work. Found out what settings should be on GPS from trawling the net - instructions with TT appallingly scant and TT support as I have heard is dire. The problem I have is that when selecting TTnav gps on the settings page I am not presented with the option to choose serial cable on com 1 it just aint in the list. I have read that you must stop IR beaming being received - done and that you shouldn't have an ext keyboard driver installed - I don't but still no com 1. I am at a loss. I have also seen some worrying comments - ipaq 1940 not compatable with wired TT3 nav system. This was sold to me by TotalPDA - seem very reputable to me - as a complete package deal so hope this isn't the case. Could anyone shed any light on this one for me?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... we have other users where this is working fine. Are you sure it's COM1? Maybe the serial port on that machine is COM2 ?

What is WinFast Navigator saying?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tuglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re 1940 no com 1 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply excuse my ignorance but very very new to pocket PC so not really sure how I can find out about com ports etc. Great with PCs but havent got a clue how to find out what resource allocation is on PPC. I suspect that com 1 has been assigned to something but cannot think what. The only software on PDA other than that installed with OS is Tom Tom so cant think what it would be. Also not sure what you mean by winfast navigator is this the software built in to Tom Tom 3 nav?
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this Thread
Tuglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: 1940 continued Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Yeah had seen this thread already but kind of dismissed it thinking that TT wouldn't produce a mounting kit complete with RJ connection for GPS specifically for a PDA if that PDA wasn't compatable with a wired GPS. Dont know guess maybe they have it wrong, trouble is try getting hold of them to find out!!!
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tuglet,
I assume that you bought your kit as a "GPS Bundle" from TotalPDA? If so surely they should be your first port of call? Surely you can get a refund/replacement from them as clearly you have paid for goods that don't do the job for which they were intended (or whatever the correct wording should be but you know what I mean!) - I bought my "GPS Bundle" from them (detailed below) and found them a good retailer so I can only guess that you have faulty goods or there is indeed a compatability problem between the 1940 and TTN wired GPS. When I was searching the net for a good PDA/TTN deal I have to admit that I had not once come across a 1940/Wired bundle but plenty of 1940/Bluetooth bundles - maybe it is true that the 1940 cannot be used with the wired GPS. If this is the case then TotalPDA have obviously made an error in bundling these items together and getting a refund (or some alternative) from them should not be a problem I would have thought.

Maybe one of the many many users to these forums can come forward and confirm that they are running a working 1940+wired TTN setup so at least you can rule the incompatibility theory out.

By the way I have just had a look at Widget's site and notice that they are selling 1940 bluetooth bundles but not wired bundles - don't know if this is significant?

Hope you get it sorted quickly as it must be mighty frustrating!!

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Tuglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: TotalPDA Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes I have been in contact with TotalPDA and one of their staff posted on their forum that there was a compatibility problem with wired GPS and ipaq 1940. This was before they realised that i had purchased this as a bundle from them, needless to say I put them in the picture as to disbelief that they sell this as a bundle if this is true. I will keep you posted as to what the outcome is.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1940 continued Reply with quote

Tuglet wrote:
Hi Steve
Yeah had seen this thread already but kind of dismissed it thinking that TT wouldn't produce a mounting kit complete with RJ connection for GPS specifically for a PDA if that PDA wasn't compatable with a wired GPS. Dont know guess maybe they have it wrong, trouble is try getting hold of them to find out!!!

They make wired TT GPS for standard Ipaq connections, ie to fit 38XX, 39XX, 2210 etc. The 1940 is probably standard also so fits.

I would also tackle Total PDA. Either ask for a free upgrade to BT for the hassle, or change to a 2210, or something compatable.

Steve
ashleyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1940 continued Reply with quote

Tuglet wrote:
Hi Steve
Yeah had seen this thread already but kind of dismissed it thinking that TT wouldn't produce a mounting kit complete with RJ connection for GPS specifically for a PDA if that PDA wasn't compatable with a wired GPS.

It is only compatable with a bluetooth receiver. The Tomtom bluetooth receiver comes with a charging cable which fits the cradle instead of the wired receiver.
Tuglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Supplier error Reply with quote

hi guys,
Suppliers did make an error and i should have been sent a mount with built in IR to transmit GPS signal to ipaq 1940. In process of swapping bits to get a working kit so problem resolved. Thanks to all offering advice. :D :D :D Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: