Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Big Decision
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Big Decision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cinisello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: The Big Decision Reply with quote

Firstly, what an excellent site! Very informative and professional. This is probably one of the reasons why I have decided to buy a GPS system...but which one?

I already have an IPAQ 3870

I would like the EMTAC Bluetooth GPS

Software? I've seen TomTomII in the shops - seems good but...

I live in Milan, North Italy. My new job will soon have me driving up to Switzerland and Austria, plus most of Italy. I'd also like UK maps.

And when I'm not driving - I love walking. So I need some advice as to what software would best suite me.

Any advice gratefully received - for software and the GPS receiver.

Many thanks

Cin.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: The Big Decision Reply with quote

Hi Cin and welcome!

TTNav2 could still fulfill your needs, with a the Italy main package and the additional Western Europe CD Set you'd have map coverage for the greater part of Europe available to you, a large memory card (256MB+) should allow enough capacity for the whole of Italy plus sectional maps of the areas of Switzerland and Austria.

Alternatively Navman's SmartST package is available with European map sets.

As for the GPS itself, you will not be disappointed with an Emtac, they are superb units, good sensitivity and portable.

For the walking side of GPS'ing you'll obviously need a non Car Nav software product which is not my area but Fugawi, Memory-Map and OziExplorer are the popular choices but there are more.
Cinisello
Occasional Visitor

Many thanks Darren,

That's what I wanted to hear! I can feel a purchase coming on!

Any suggestions for retailers - or should I just buy it from the internet?

Many thanks again

Cin.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Cin,

Living in Italy you will find that either OziExplorer or Fugawi will suit you needs as far as hiking software goes, but you will be short of digital maps.

I am going to Lake Garda in a few weeks time. The best maps (paper) I have been able to find are Freytag & Berndt, but they are very difficult to scan and calibrate.

As far as your hardware selection goes it is difficult to beat. I have been using an Emtac now for over 6 months, I havent found anything to match it yet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Cin, as far as purchsing goes, the best advice I can give is to shop around, find the best price and then confirm they actually have stock before placing your order. TTNav2 has been a huge success, TomTom had great difficulty meeting the demand and so whilst many retailers may advertise a great price it's of little benefit to you if they can't supply the product!
Cinisello
Occasional Visitor

Many thanks for the replies,

I had a good search around on the internet and I think I have found the combination I want, but I have noticed a large difference in price between the 'kit' for TomTom II (Includes the GPS plus Euromaps), or if I buy it seperatley with the Emtac plus maps...about £100.

Still, I'd then have the ability to use it out of the car, or in different cars as the case may be (I'm persuading myself!).

I hope to make the 'plunge' next month.

Cheers

Cin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: