Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgrozo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Reply with quote

I'm a rookie. I live in NY but love to travel,camp,and hike. I have family in europe and visit one or twice a year. I have a motorcycle (GSXR-750)thats my baby!!, but I'm horrible with directions.I need state,city and street turn by turn and door to door instructions. I usually get where I need to go but waste alot of time and gas on the way. Please help me!!!!.Which would be the best unit for me?I looked at the Garmin Quest,the Gps V Deluxe and the Lowrance Iway 100m. which do you think would fit me best. And should I buy it in the U.S or online from Europe. I read the european models have more memory and capabilities is that true? Please Help!!!!!!
basty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgrozo

Looks like the new TomTom Rider could be just what you're looking for. I've copied the link from the CeBIT forum http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-rider.php

The love of gadgets is the root of all arguments!

Mio 168 (Ms PPC V4.20.0 Build 14053)
ActiveSync V3.7.1 Build 3244
Route 66 Nav 2004 V1.2 Engine 1.228
256 SD - unbranded, supplied with PDA
512 SD - Viking Interworks
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Reply with quote

dgrozo wrote:
I'm a rookie. I live in NY but love to travel,camp,and hike. I have family in europe and visit one or twice a year. I have a motorcycle (GSXR-750)thats my baby!!, but I'm horrible with directions.I need state,city and street turn by turn and door to door instructions. I usually get where I need to go but waste alot of time and gas on the way.

Welcome

The TomTom Rider looks interesting, but I don't know if they are available yet.

For Garmin I would recommend the Quest, don't get a GPS-V they are pretty outdated now.

The European Quests have 243 Meg compared to the 115 Meg in the American ones but there is a bit of a gotcha:

Garmin GPS units come with a pre-installed "basemap" showing a rought map of major roads. The American market GPS units show major roads in America and the European ones show major roads in Europe.

If you don't have detailed maps loaded for your area then it GPS can use this basemap to navigate. If you have a European GPS in America then you won't have any basemap with major roads so you will have to make sure you have the detailed maps loaded for the entire area you require. Garmin won't let you change the basemap.

You can get around the basemap problem if you always have detailed maps loaded for the area you are in and the larger memory of the Euro spec unit will help out here. For comparison, the entire UK (population 60 Million) is about 130 Meg, so you could fit a fair number of maps into the 243 Meg Quest.

Garmin is definately a good choice for hiking, they are robust and waterproof. You should factor in the cost of the topo maps into the price though - you can only load Garmin's maps into the GPS.

Alternatively you can use a paper map when hiking and read your position from the GPS to create waypoints and routes as needed.

I recommend you check out RAM Mounts to mount the unit on your Gixer.

Good luck!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: