Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Dell Axim setup Reply with quote

I'm a bit stuck already. My gcse grade E in physics doesn't help.

The Emtac CRUXII/BTGPS module (Socket)setup I've just purchased did not come with an AC powersupply or the AC leads as in the review-link 2 posts upwards. Also it didn't come with the CD Userguide/CRUX view software.

It did come with an A4 sheet printed userguide and the leather case but also this:
Quote: a car charger with a Y-splitter power cable so that you can power the GPS and your iPAQ.

The A4 printed userguide states:

Quote: Power Jack.The power jack lets you connect to either a DC (included) or AC power charger to recharge the internal battery. You can either use the included DC adapter or an iPAQ-compatible AC adapter. Please note that the adapter rating is 5V, 1A, positive pole center.

The Axim AC adapter states on it:

INPUT: 100-240V ~ 400mA 50-60Hz

OUTPUT: 5.4V --- 2410mA

Does that mean I can't charge the BTGPS module with the Dell Axim AC adapter and I will need to get the official AC adapter/charger for the BTGPS module? (I've not tried charging with the Axim adapter for fear of blowing the module up)

Is the Y-splitter cable also incompatible because it states its for the iPAQ? (The leads seem to fit to the Axim but I've only checked with power off and just guessing)

Would be very grateful for any info tips.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Dell Axim setup Reply with quote

Oh so the update in 2.05 is actually an update for a specific TomTom GPS BT receiver. This one by the looks of it.

New TomTom Bluetooth GPS Receiver!

Looks very smart and good specs.

Cold/Warm/Hot Start Time: 45/38/8 Seconds

Well provided the update improves the connectivity of my Socket BT receiver (also badged Emtac) with TomTom, thats good enough for me.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

Hi Richard,

Very glad to hear that the Bluemonkey CF card sorted out the main difficulties you were having with the Emtac/TomTomNav2/Axim.

Having just read this thread pocketgps learned from Darren that there is a new TomTom update V2.05 which you might want to grab.

TomTom Navigator 2.05

Just one of the updated features being:

Support for the new TomTom Wireless GPS (Bluetooth)

I've just installed it myself 10 minutes ago, and after having everything running with my Socket receiver on the windowsill, I turned off the Socket so losing signal. Turned the Socket back on... but no sign from TomTom that it was receiving signal.... exited TomTom via the switcher bar... loaded again... and TomTom and BT Socket once again all connected and receiving.

Ok so it might not be perfect but hoping it will put an end to many of the soft resets we have been having to do after losing gps signal.
RichardL
Occasional Visitor

Hi Doghead - thanks very much for your reply - I decided to take a gamble and bought a Bluemonkey CF card. Fortunately the gamble paid off and all my problems (navigation related at least) went away. I can finally use my Dell and TTN2 together and its a great combination.

My problem seemed to be caused by the Bluetake CF card and its drivers - so beware to any potential buyers as there are no driver updates available and the card itself is of very poor construction.

I have the same problems with turning the Dell on and off, but I can easily live with that. My worry now is that the Dell is getting so many soft resets that I will end up puting a hole in the rubber side grip!

A big thank you to all who have helped me get it working.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

Hi Richard

-sorry for delay in reply - been away from the forum for a few days and only just seen your post.

Hope you have managed to get your setup running stable. I'm only a beginner so can only point out what my own experiences have been as I've muddled through it.

Have you paired/bonded your BT PDA with the Emtac? 0183.

My setup has been running without any problems for the most part. These last few days it has all been very reliable without my having waste time tinkering with it to solve problems.

In the first week though there were a few times the Socket/TomTom/Bluemonkey BT card caused me to struggle. For instance, switching the Socket off when approaching in to a petrol station, but keeping the PDA and TomTom running.. it could be frustrating to get the link back to SocketGPS, as TomTom software often would not reconnect or recognise the SocketGPS and the tickbox empty. Attempting to retick the Bluetooth port started a slow 45sec search but not finding the Bluetooth port.

Even then trying to switch Axim off and back on would not correct the problem as then the Bluemonkey card would also go funny and reconnection from TomTom to Socket not possible. The Bluemonkey card has a green led light on it which should be solid green when working - would intermittently flash on/off (presumbably saying its not configured right). To get this sorted, often had to do a soft reset to get TomTom and Socket and Bluemonkey all working again.

However for the last few days these problems haven't resurfaced and no GPS losses. I'm sure I've not seen the last of my problems above but its been a joy to use recently. Hope you can find whatever it is which is stopping your setup all running smoothly.    
Doghead
Regular Visitor

So finally got my 2 Axims all hooked up with GPS. If I'd known there were going to be so many issues with the Axim cables and TomTom Nav 2, I would definately have chosen a different brand of PDA. Can't complain too much though at purchased both Axims new for £260.

Went the long way around to get a working setup and now have these receivers all working with the Axim.

1. Socket BT GPS receiver

2. Leadtech 9532

3. Haicom 203E

I don't think linking to pics on my own site takes up bandwith here, but if it does I won't link images again.

Doghead
Regular Visitor

In the first post of this thread Chris mentions that TomTom would not initally recognise the Emtac GPS but eventually did after he downloaded their update - so there is room to think it might be the PS software maybe?
Doghead
Regular Visitor

Thanks Dave - this GPS has already surpassed even my high expectations! Reading maps is not exactly something which comes naturally to me, so this sure helps. Its amazing and just love the TomTom . Only one small glitch found so far and that is TomTom insructs me to go the wrong way around a roundabout on the Handforth Dean bypass in Stockport.

Spoon - erm... well I really am a simpleton on all this but can only touch on what I did if that could might possibly be of help - (I'm sure most of this setting up is very well known by you already) For 2 hours TomTom software showed the connection as being set as Serial Cable on COM1 and I couldnt get it to flick to any other option. Eventually noticed a big tick icon on the upper left of the page which, on tapping unticked, which allowed me to switch to another com.

Just to illustrate here is a pic similar to the Tick Icon upper left I unticked - but shown in non TT software.

Having unticked it just now to check it out its now showing these options available to select:

Bluetooth port (COM6:)

COM8:

USB Cable:

COM3:

Native IR:

Serial Cable on COM1:

Prior to that I went in to the Bluemonkey CFcard Bluetooth wizard and clicked on the Serial Port Connection Icon. In there it says "Please select a local port to setup or click New to create a new virtual port". It allowed me to create and add new port created new com6 and also com8. It also states: "Note! Ports that are in use may show up as available even though they are not." (Just trying again now for testing purposes to add a new port its offering me com4, com5, com7 and com9.) Then I paired the BTGPS with the BT Axim with the code.

So Pocket Streets won't pick up on com5 and you have 1-4 already in use. Have you tried creating a new virtual port (I've no idea if that makes any difference)and search for GPS device and then see if PS will work?

This post probably embarassingly demonstates my lack of tech knowledge but hope it might help.
spoon
Occasional Visitor

To Doghead -

How did you uncheck com 1 ? - The reason I ask is when I use Mapopolis maps my AXIM/CF GPS work great - on com 5, however, when I try to use Pocket Streets my GPS is not recognized - com 1-4 are used and PS`s does not work on com 5 so I need to toast something on com 1 or com 2 but don`t know how to do this.

Thanks

Wayne

Crux II
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hey good luck! I'm sure you'll like it! You do know there's no turning back now ? No using paper maps!
Doghead
Regular Visitor

I don't believe it - just managed to get it all working with a screen coming up showing my home road. Just worked outhave to untick serial com1 in TomTom to be able to swich to other com (bt enabled port) before re-ticking. 5 sats.

Whoo-hoo.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

Dave - thanks - the Dell Axim charger will work to charge Socket. Smile

That side of things all set up smoothly with Axim BT card having identified Socket.

Too tired now to do anymore with userguides, invoices, and packaging all around my computer space.

And to think I only really picked up on GPS a few weeks ago after searching the net in search of a in-car compass.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

You would have been MUCH better off getting a BT PPC, or stick with your original idea of Axim/TomTom GPS.

You may still run into compatibility and configuration problem.

BT can sometimes be a pain. A BT CF card is worse than built in BT.

You will find out !

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Axim can't unfortunately be upgraded to SDIO like many Pocket PC's.

You can use any charger with the BT GPS. If you've purchased this from Expansys you'll have the Socket version ? The one with the car charger. I'm using an Expansys clone charger (PHONONICS I believe), and this works fine. Socket do say you can use any iPAQ charger, in-fact nearly all Pocket PC chargers output the same voltage and miliamp.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

OK for the benefit of any other newbies to gps who might be looking at getting similar setup... will just go through a few of my mistakes which might save you some trouble.

The software which came with the Socket Bluetooth SD card I purchased installed fine on the Axim. The SDcard userguide then said to fit the card and that I should expect a prompt on the Axim that the card had been recognised - but there was no prompt. A few checks on the net brings the conclusion that the Dell Axim lacks SDIO and the Socket Bluetooth SD card requires SDIO Now! compatibility.

So later today I will source a bluemonkey CF bluetooth card as had been my intention orginally until eXpansys brought the SD card to my attention during telephone call. Its not their fault that they, like me, didn't know the Axim was not SDIO compatible. (Maybe Axim can be upgraded to be SDIO compatible - beyond my knowledge).

Not taking any chances re the receiver AC adapter/charger and will track down the official one. Emtac states to use only the official charger in the userguide which I've now got from their website.

Learned more about setup from the full Emtac/Socket/Transplant Bluetooth GPS forum here and so probably best if I no longer post on this in this Beginners forum, but will just read and try to glean info from the correct forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: