Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Add-on Map Support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Add-on Map Support
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Garmin Add-on Map Support Reply with quote

The Garmin range of handheld GPS Receivers are well known, many people ask if it's possible to load a particular map to a Garmin Handheld GPS. The answer to this is YES, but you cannot load just any old map that you have scanned, you have to purchase and upload various Garmin based product maps.

Please check out the following article for more detail on adding maps to Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmin-maps.php
BurnieM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapsource sizes;
http://www.gpsriders.net/mapsource_sizes.html
mato
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to do it opposite way? I mean to load garmin map to pocketpc? Is there any software that is able to work with garmin maps, or are these copyrighted to use only with Garmin units and ique?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mato wrote:
Is it possible to do it opposite way? I mean to load garmin map to pocketpc? Is there any software that is able to work with garmin maps, or are these copyrighted to use only with Garmin units and ique?

There is a program called GPSMapEdit http://www.geopainting.com/en/ that may do the job for you, but remember autorouting is not suppored by GPSMapEdit..

GPSMapEdit reverse engineered Garmin's map format to allow you to edit Garmin's maps and upload them to your Garmin GPS or export them to OziExplorer format (and this may allow you to use them on your Pocket PC).

You can also create your own vector maps for your Garmin using GPSMapEdit and a scanned raster map. It's a fairly painstaking process though.

Robert Elsinga has put a lot of time into creating third party maps for Garmin GPS units. You can find them at http://www.elsinga.org/index.html?page=garmin-maps
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfGPS 1620 (cf card) and GPS 10 (bluetooth) are Garmin products that support Garmin maps on PPC.
Terry
mato
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcassidy, thank you for your tip.

Is is possible to get only the software provided without buying the CF receiver? Does the software cooperate with other receivers, or is it strictly limited to those two devices you mentioned?
At the moment I am using the old eTrex connected via serial cable to iPAQ4150 and I am looking for any software+maps with good coverage of Ireland. It seems to me that Garmin has reasonably good coverage of IE, but I don't want to buy the whole new gps unit.
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have both units. The mapping products only accept Garmin protocol. The Que software with the GPS 10 can accept Garmin protocol on any port (the Que software with the cfQue 1620 is locked to the cf card input) The GPS 10 will output NMEA or Garmin protocols so is usable with other mapping software. I do not believe the Que software is available without a device. Recommend the GPS 10 as a more capable receiver but you need Bluetooth (well, not really- with the software installed, you could talk to your Etrex via the serial port.
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcassidy, you say the Que software can use any port to receive the Garmin protocol. I have the gps 10 BT and a GPS 60CS. I am able to connect the 60CS to COM1 and use it with several applications in NMEA-mode.

After setting the 60CS in Garmin mode I cannot get it working together with the Que software. I can only select 'GPS 10 Bluetooth' as GPS Device and I can select 'Serial cable on COM1' but it won't work.
Did you try to do this?
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't tried that as I don't have a serial cable (comm 1) adapter for my E800. The serial/ usb adapter uses Comm 4 and it works fine. I don't see why your setup shouldn't work. Are you sure the 60 puts out Garmin protocol on its serial connection?
Terry
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcassidy, I understand you use a serial-usb converter to connect an Etrex to your e800. Did you have to install a driver for this adapter on the e800?

In the Que-application I can only select 'GPS 10 Bluetooth' as GPS Device. Do you have other options in this dropdown-menu?

I don't understand why I can't use my 60CS with the Que-application as the connection on COM1 and the Garmin Protocol is correct and working. I checked this with OziCE and rastermaps. Ozi can use both NMEA and Garmin PVT.
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did have to install a dll and the appropriate reference in the registry to recognize the serial/ usb adapter.

I see all the Comm ports in the drop down and must choose the one I want. Since you said you can use other NMEA programs on your PDA with the 60 ( I thought that is what you said), your 60 is obviously talking to your PDA on the Comm port you use and no other driver is required. Whether you are putting out the correct protocol or not, the port should be listed in the drop down.
In Garmin Que, the Interface tab under Menu /System Setup on my E800 lists;
<Auto-Detect>
Serial Cable on COM1:
Native IR:
COM3:
COM4:(my serial/ USB adapter)
Socket-CF+
USB Cable:
COM7 (this would change to GPS10 if that was active).

I cannot understand why you do not have this list of ports. I don't think the software that came with the 1620 provided the Interface tab but the GPS10 software I have definitely does.

BTW I also have an Axim X5 and although the list order is slightly different, it is still there.
Terry
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you unlocked your maps that came with the Que software and GPS10, this "tied" that software to the GPS10 so only that hardware/software combination will work.

What map software do you have with your CS60? Garmin allows you to register the mapping software to two units if you own them both so it's possible that if you register the GPS10 maps to the CS60 as well that the combi might work, but I don't think it will. You could try asking at

support@garmin.com
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are tapping the down arrow next to the selected input on that tab to see the list. Then you can select the port you want.
Terry
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood me.
Actually I have almost the same setup as you: e800 with GPS 10 and Que-software. On the Interface-page there are two dropdowns: the first is called GPS Device and only shows GPS 10 Bluetooth, the second one shows all communication ports and I can select Serial cable on COM1.

With the 60CS attached to COM1 and set to Garmin-interface the Que-application is searching COM1 but after a while it says 'No GPS Connected'.

Are you really able to use an Etrex with the Que-application?
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you unlocked your maps that came with the Que software and GPS10, this "tied" that software to the GPS10 so only that hardware/software combination will work.

I have CS7 and unlocked it for the 60CS as well so the Que-application should be able to check the Unit-ID and unlock the maps. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: