Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - is it just me or what?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

is it just me or what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: is it just me or what? Reply with quote

Im sorry to bring this up but iv been noticing this for a while, is it just me or what. But im sure most reviews and articles I read on this site condoned breaking the speed limit. What I quote below is one just of many, and I don’t like the way they are wrote, and the way that you imply that breaking the speed limit is ok to do, when its not. Anyone court breaking the speed limit should have there license taken straight off them. Don’t for get its not just you on the road.

Thanks

Quote:
The most interesting thing was the sound of the BIG V12 as opened up the throttle. It is quite amazing how quickly a 6 Litre V12 can launch you from 0 to (um honest) 70mph, and the roar of the engine...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

We certainly do not condone breaking any speed limit or any law for that matter. I have read most of the reviews and articles and I can’t say that I’ve noticed that any of them have condoned breaking the speed limit.

I have read and reread the paragraph that you have quoted, several times, and it appears to be OK (to me), as 70mph is a legal and safe speed on certain roads when the conditions are right.

Don’t forget that there are plenty of places (race tracks, airfields, etc) where you can go and drive at well over 100mph if you want to.

I would like to see more police on the roads that can deal with all of the motoring offences and not just speeding.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Jo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can help me with this but I see in a lot of your reviews you say this

Speed camera sorry, I mean safety camera

To me that’s you implying that the camera database should be used for people to speed rather then safety

Thanks
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo,

No, this is not at all what this reference is implying. We are simply referring to the more commonly used term for safety cameras.

As Privateer said in his last post, no one on this site condones speeding and the safety camera database is not issued as a license to speed.

I'm sure you will have heard many people calling safety cameras 'speed cameras' yourself, but this doesn't mean that these people are going out and speeding in their cars. It is just what they have become known as due to so many people's dislike of them and their function.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo,

Which country are you located in? Could you please update your profile as it does help when answering? ;)

If you’re located in the UK, you’ll remember when the fixed cameras were first introduced, they were called "Speed Cameras". However the authorities, especially the "partnerships" stopped calling them speed cameras and started to call them safety cameras. That’s the reason for the phrase "Speed camera sorry, I mean safety camera". There is no implication that the database should be used for people to speed rather then for safety reasons.

Please have a look at the camera database page. You’ll read that :

Camera Database page wrote:
Please note that our database is not to help you speed in areas where you shouldn't, it's to help you lower your speed throughout all roads that you drive, and to be aware of potential areas where Safety Cameras may be in force for informational purposes only, so you can be more vigilant at monitoring your speed throughout these locations and ensure that you don't accidentally travel a few miles per hour above the speed limit like when travelling down a steep hill, or when you're overtaking another vehicle.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: is it just me or what? Reply with quote

Jo wrote:
Im sorry to bring this up but iv been noticing this for a while, is it just me or what. But im sure most reviews and articles I read on this site condoned breaking the speed limit. What I quote below is one just of many, and I don’t like the way they are wrote, and the way that you imply that breaking the speed limit is ok to do, when its not. Anyone court breaking the speed limit should have there license taken straight off them. Don’t for get its not just you on the road.

Yes it is just you. Yours is the first such comment on this subject in many thousands of posts. Any such references are tongue in cheek comments no different to any other journalistic style where motoring and related subjects are discussed. This is a public website and there are others, if you don't like the style of writing then by all means find one whose style you are more comfortable with.

We don't condone excessive speed on public roads and the safety camera database is both legal and has been explicitly permitted by the forthcoming Road Safety whitepaper as the Government firmly believes that they are an aid to safety.

It's a widely held belief that many speed cameras are placed for maximum revenue and not to reduce accidents hence our references to speed and not safety cameras. Many cameras are sighted in locations where there has been no history of frequent accidents or are hidden behind road furniture and this can only be to maximise income and not to prevent accidents or reduce speeding.

As an ex Police Traffic officer I can speak from experience in this area, they are even disliked by Police Officers as well because a camera lacks the discretion that an officer has and serves only to antagonise the motorist and criminalise otherwise law abiding citizens.

As you say it is not just you on the roads so likewise don't forget its not just you that reads the reviews, oh and it's caught not court ;)
TotalNewbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Is it just me or what? Reply with quote

Nice one Darren!!
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a crash helmet - god help me if I ever try and use it :-) I could be killed !!

:-)
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: is it just me or what? Reply with quote

Jo wrote:
What I quote below is one just of many, and I don’t like the way they are wrote, and the way that you imply that breaking the speed limit is ok to do, when its not. Anyone court breaking the speed limit should have there license taken straight off them. Don’t for get its not just you on the road.

Thanks

Quote:
The most interesting thing was the sound of the BIG V12 as opened up the throttle. It is quite amazing how quickly a 6 Litre V12 can launch you from 0 to (um honest) 70mph, and the roar of the engine...

It's just you. Speedlimit on highways here in Texas is 75mph, none (and 80mph "suggested speed") on German highways, and that's just the two countries where I am driving. Not every reader of this site putters around the London Congestion zone ;) Btw, it's also quite amazing how quickly a 5 liter V8 can launch a 2 ton vehicle from 0 to 95 Laughing
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: is it just me or what? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

We don't condone excessive speed on public roads and the safety camera database is both legal and has been explicitly permitted by the forthcoming Road Safety whitepaper as the Government firmly believes that they are an aid to safety.

Ah, come on Darren. We know that the Goverment is only allowing it because they've got no chance of outlawing the GPS-based systems. If they really thought they were an aid to safety they'd allow laser/radar detectors too, but they are being banned. The reason for this is (probably) that they can rake in more by using mobile vans that can be setup anywhere they like, rather than fixed cameras that are easily logged to the database.

But I do agree in not speeding (speaking as someone who has got 3-points on his licence!).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: is it just me or what? Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Ah, come on Darren. We know that the Goverment is only allowing it because they've got no chance of outlawing the GPS-based systems.

That was a quote from the white paper not my opinion! As you say, they are not attempting to ban them because they know that would be impossible unlike laser/radar which can be easily legislated against. Having said that, if in a years time we have a database that has 5000 mobile sites contained within, the end result will be we'll all be slowing down just in case those sites are active, in that way the use of such databases has a positive effect on speed reduction!
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that, or we'll get so fed up with Checkpoint yelling at us every 10 seconds that we'll turn it off and take our chances!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: