Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Even Dave get’s it wrong!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Even Dave get’s it wrong!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Even Dave get’s it wrong! Reply with quote

Well I must say even we (okay I) get foiled from time to time!

Had to take a drive on Saturday, received a fix on the Socket BTGPS I'm testing, and low and behold, 3 mins later, lost the fix, TTN2 seemed to hang, no data being received.

Found out about 10 mins later after soft resetting the iPAQ, much to my surprise, that I had forgot to charge the BTGPS, and the battery had run flat! Didn't have any in-car chargers either with me (only the 38xx series chargers) Luckily I managed to fall back to a Leadtek 9531, as this was a journey I didn't actually know where it was!

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a story like this already! Needless to say my charger cables going with me in the car from now on!
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Even Dave get’s it wrong! Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me ! The BT GPS doesn't seem to give any kind of warning when the battery is running low on juice !!! Or have I not read the scant manual closely enough ? :-)

B
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

I have had this experience as well. Having driven from home to Heathrow I forgot to turn the Emtac off whilst in the airport. After 1.5 hours driving, 2.5 hours in the airport, and 2.5 hours flying the battery had expired. I went to switch it on in foriegn parts and the unit wouldnt issue a squeak.

Good thing I had a Garmin Geko with me. Only had a single charger there so had to take turns PDA and Emtac charging. Could have done with the new PC-Mobile cable there.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Just had a thought, need to check the voltage, but how about the battery extender ?
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

I use an IPAQ car charger (spare now that my IPAQ has a powered brodit mount) that I have 'hardwired' in to the car to charge/power my BTGPS, so I now always have the thing plugged it the whole time it's in the car. That way it's never flat and always ready for other uses outside the car (such as geocaching...)

Steve
FishSlice
Occasional Visitor

quick question, and it maybe stupid, but I'll ask anyway....

Which iPaq charger cable is compatible with the emtac ? I assume its the charger without the iPaq wide connector on the end, ie, just the round one ?

Cheers

Si
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Another one - once the BT GPS is fully charged, what sort of drain does it take if plugged in. That is, if I wired it to a permanent supply (ie, not on the switched ignition), would it be safe to leave on charge in the car all the time, so it's always fully charged and ready to be taken out of the car when necessary?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Power drain from a car battery perspective, virtually nothing, shouldn't be an issue. However, there have been comments about leaving the BT GPS on permanent charge, as the BT GPS from what I've read, doesn't seem to like it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: