Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com will be reporting live from CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com will be reporting live from CeBIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy wrote:
How was the Wayfinder stand? I haven't heard any information about that yet Laughing

One other thing...I was told by some users that TomTom does demonstrate on their stand TomTom UIQ?! It's very rare....

Wayfinder had no new announcements and yes, TomTom did have TomTom Mobile running on a Sony P910 although the UIQ platform was not listed as compatible at launch.
Billy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Billy wrote:
How was the Wayfinder stand? I haven't heard any information about that yet Laughing

One other thing...I was told by some users that TomTom does demonstrate on their stand TomTom UIQ?! It's very rare....

Wayfinder had no new announcements and yes, TomTom did have TomTom Mobile running on a Sony P910 although the UIQ platform was not listed as compatible at launch.

Good to hear...

Concerning Wayfinder they had released a press release http://www.wayfinder.com/news/pressrelease.php?id=56 that they where going to introduce a new version Wayfinder Navigator (instead of Wayfinder Euronavigator) and he java version of their software.

It's not that I don't believe you. Anyway the improvements of Wayfinder would be probably very little. But way announce something when you don't show anything?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case we missed it! It's not easy to capture everything and I wasn't aware of the press release. As it was we were there for 9hrs straight both days and could easily have done with a week!
Billy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
In that case we missed it!

No problem...it's absolutly normal that you don't see everything there. But since I haven't heard any other information from any other source about Wayfinder. I assume there stand wasn't so huge. So most people did missed that. Besides Wayfinder is not so well known. Or am I wrong with this?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know Wayfinder and they know us, but they are a small player and their stand was some shared space on someone elses.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy wrote:
Darren wrote:
In that case we missed it!

No problem...it's absolutly normal that you don't see everything there. But since I haven't heard any other information from any other source about Wayfinder. I assume there stand wasn't so huge. So most people did missed that. Besides Wayfinder is not so well known. Or am I wrong with this?

I actually spent some time on the Wayfinder stand, and although we did talk about a number of things such as WM SmartPhones and the availability of the product on the XDAs no dates were mentioned, neither did they give us any press releases. Having said that it was the end of a long and busy day.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genghisackroyd wrote:
@MikeB,

I would like to know if, and when, TomTom are going to release a dedicated Hx4700 mount as my iPAQ 2210 has impressed me.

Also, are they ever going to have the ability to update their maps separate from a software upgrade (ie strange things happen near the M6 Toll road start, and the A1/A1M North Yorks new section (I drive though fields at 70mph!!)

Thanks

Chris

Chris, this is exactly a question that I would like answered. I did ask and didnt get the right answer (ie we have one here for you Mike!) The best that I can say is that they didnt say that there would not be one coming.

I suspect that it would be very unlikely that there would ever be a seperate map/software upgrade. This will only occur if there is a catastrophic error in the map data. This is because TeleAtlas only produce 2 map releases a year. All suppliers of Navigation software will likely release their latest software with the new maps.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Question for all the manufacturers:

Would they consider seperating the maps from the actual navigator product itself and by doing so publish mapping on a more regular basis so one could buy updated maps without the need to wait for a new version of the software to be released.

Obviously some deal will have to be reached with the map makers to allow users to upgrade their maps for less than the initial licencing cost (which I believe is rather high?)

Hi Mark,

We had a long and detailed discussion with TeleAtlas and they are talking about changing from 2 releases a year to 4 releases. So at absolute best you would have maps that were 3 months out of date. The problem would come with the manufacturers. Currently they all produce updates on pretty much an annual basis. So getting 3 extra updates would not make any difference.

I also suspect that it would not be economical for them to release their maps any more frequently without putting the price up, which in turn would reduce the demand.

Changes to the "attributes" (road names, speed profile, etc) acould be done pretty much on an on demand basis, but this is not useful for any of us. What we want is the new roads, and the latest data that they have. Creating this information takes an extreemly long time, both from the data provider (TeleAtlas, NavTeq) and then the integration and testing from the part of the Navigation Software company.

In short none of the companies that we spoke to indicated that they had plans for releasing more regular map updates.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Will TomTom consider creating an SDK (Software Development Kit) for the GO, Mobile, TomTom HP Navigation package on the PPC, etc, so that third parties can develop add-on applications?

I was talking to Corinne and Harold (TomTom directors) on the plane coming back to the UK and I was told that there are plans for the SDK to be released for all the Version 5 platforms. I was not able to tie it down to a specific date.

Obviously with the introduction of TomTom Plus and the Bluetooth interface a large number of opportunities for expanding the products exist. It is TomTom's intention to build and retain a large community and userbase.
efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Destinator news?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

efjay wrote:
Any Destinator news?

Yes, we had a meeting with the European destinator guys, and also saw a couple of people from Homeland Security (the developers), I will be adding this to my write up.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Questions for Tomtom.

Will the new Rider pair with a BT headset and a BT 'phone at the same time?

Will the Rider come with any waterproof certification, such as IPX7?

Will the GO 700 allow cross-border routing at street level?

I am led to believe that the TomTom Rider will have the Plus functionality so the pairing will have to be with the Headset and the Phone.

Not sure about the waterproof certification. They say it will be fully waterproof, but we nearly managed to destroy the one on the bike. It was an early prototype. When we tried to remove it to see the mount lots of cables fell out.

The GO 700 has detailed street level maps of the whole of Europe (as provided by TeleAtlas) and you can route cross borders from any street in any country to any street in any other country. Some countries will only have major road map details.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, apart from the Rider falling apart. The "Major roads" countries will be extra countries, I take it, not ones which are currently (even if only partially) street-mapped. I'm talking the likes of Czech, etc.. I can't wait to see one in the plastic....
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
XDA wrote:
With TomTom V5 having it's own POI announcements and Speed Camera database. Is this TomTom's own camera database? and if so how is it going to compare with the Pocketgpsworld one as far as coverage. Will TomTom have the same flexibility with announcements that we have become accustomed to with CheckPOInt and GPSAssist.

Unsure, we don't currently have access to this yet so cannot comment on accuracy and the number of cameras and the source of the cameras.

I posted the above query onto TomToms web site.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your message which has been received by our Customer Support Team. One of our agents will respond to your query as soon as possible.

Thank you and best regards,

The TomTom Support Team

Question Reference No050312-000227
Summary: With the up coming release of TomTom V5 for PPC, it looks like it will have T...
Product: TomTom Navigator 5
Sub-product: Software/maps
Category: technical question
Date Created: 12/03/2005 01.24 PM
Last Updated: 12/03/2005 01.24 PM
Device manufacturer: O2
PDA or Mobile model: XDA II

Discussion Thread
Customer 12/03/2005 01.24 PM
With the up coming release of TomTom V5 for PPC, it looks like it will have TomTom's own version of a Speed/Traffic camera Database.
How will this compare with what I am currently using with TomTom V3.
I use the Pocketgpsworld Speed camera database which has the Gatso and Mobile cameras sub divided into speed related .ov2 and .bmp files, and with suitable .wav files and the 3rd party add-on of GPSAssist, I am warned of approaching Speed Cameras with an announcement of "Approaching Gatso" followed by another of "Warning the speed limit is 50 miles per hour"
Each speed related Gatso and mobile are shown on TomTom's map as a red circle containing the limit for that particular Gatso as defined by the .bmp file.
Will TomTom's version be this advanced and if not will we still be able to use 3rd party add-ons?

Recieved this reply.
In response to your recent question to our customer support team, please find below a summary of your question and our response.

Subject
With the up coming release of TomTom V5 for PPC, it looks like it will have T...

Discussion Thread
Response 14/03/2005 10.44 AM
Dear Mr Print,

We do not yet have enough information regarding TomTom PLUS services speed cameras to let you know the full details of this database so keep an eye on our website.

You should be able to use 3rd party POIs BUT if this is a third party like GPS Assist or POI warner we do not know if this will work or if these companies will make a compatible plugin for our new software. Please contact those companies for this information.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with no third party application will be able to hook into TomTom because they've programmed their utils for SDK3. Hopefully TomTom will release an SDK5 sometime after the public release of the TomTom 5 platform and this may help the developers re-code their apps to plug-in to the TomTom 5 core platform.

If and when this will happen, we have no details on this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: