Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - At last - they turned their computer on..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

At last - they turned their computer on..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: At last - they turned their computer on.. Reply with quote

....and replied to my e-mail sent on 8th April re postcodes.

This is their (pathetic) reply:

"Dear Mark,

Thank your for your email

TomTom Navigator allows you to use the postal digits as a short-cut for entering the city name. Unfortunately his only works in countries that use purely numerical prefixes which furthermore uniquely identify particular cities (although the reverse need not be true, i.e. a particular city does not necessarily have to have a single code).

Great Britain uses a different, non-numerical postal code system. Beta testing proved that the 3-character alfanumeric codes available did not save time compared to typing in the first three letters of a city, and in fact conflicted with our spelling-correction and "sounds as" technology.

For the Great Britain maps, this "city aliasing" is therefore not supported, even though some beta versions included it. Instead, in Great Britain beta testing identified a different need, and here (only in Great Britain) TomTom Navigator 2 provides the postal "street name postfix", allowing you to distinguish between same-named streets in different parts of a city.

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

support@tomtom.com

http://www.tomtom.com"

I notice they've also changed the description on the website to reflect the above, but I still want to know what they intend to do for those of us who bought the upgrade (or full package) on the basis of their previous advertising.

Needless to say I have let them know what I think. I'll post their reply when I get it in another 10 days time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: