Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 136 opinions?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 136 opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Mitac Mio 136 opinions? Reply with quote

Anybody used one?

http://www.miogps.com/products_136features.htm

Any idea the battery life (1100 mah)?

How stable is it? Can it used all the same mapping software as the full pda units?

Where do I buy the maps and upgrades later?

Thanks,
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mcewena,

The unit cannot use any other software, it is a dedicated gps unit, not sure that you could even add any other poi's, the maps and updates(if any) would only be supplied by Mitac.
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
The unit cannot use any other software, it is a dedicated gps unit,

That's not entirely true is it? I mean it's got an MP3 player so presumably it can run other CE apps.

But that's not really what I meant, if I buy it with North American maps where can I buy euro maps later? Mitac doesn't sell direct, and I haven't seen other maps listed as accessories on any of the e-retailer sites that sell them.

If I can buy a different brand of maps for the Mitac PDAs does that mean I could buy the euro maps for the Navman 510 pr Medion PNA for this unit? Or is each device software restricted because this isn't a full PDA?

Thanks,
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it runs Windows CE but not Pocket PC on top of it. Some of these 'dedicated' Windows CE navigation devices can be messed around with somewhat to produce a kind of shell, but software options still remain limited without Pocket PC being installed.

If you want to install your own software, you're better going for something that runs Pocket PC - such as a Mio 168 based system.

David
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
If you want to install your own software, you're better going for something that runs Pocket PC - such as a Mio 168 based system.

I don't want to install my own non-GPS software, but I haven't been able to find additional maps for the 136 beyond the ones that come with it. So I'm wondering if the Navman 510, Medion PNA and Navicon units are all similar enough under the skin to be interchangeable in GPS software.

The other option is just to buy a 510 to begin with because it's fairly easy to buy the aditional maps for it, however the 136 is a better deal on the net right now and I get the impression that Navtec maps are more up to date for urban US then Teleatlas.

Thanks.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not the same 'under the skin' - the various units run different navigation software. Navman iCN units run Navman's own routing software on top of Windows CE. TomTom GO runs TomTom's own routing software on top of Linux. Garmin units run Garmin proprietary software (though Garmin do sell some units based on Palm OS and Pocket PC - the GPS hardware on those units, however, is Garmin proprietary). Other units on the market seem to run either Navigon or Destinator software on top of Windows CE.

Unlike with a Pocket PC, as an end user you can't change the navigation software on these units. It's therefore important to establish that you can get the maps you want for the unit you buy.

A further complication seems to be with units using Navigon software, in that some Navigon softwares seems to use TeleAtlas maps and some seems to use Navteq maps. I have no idea which are better for rural US - I'll leave that to Lutz and other US based users.

Further, I believe that, at least in Europe, one of these pieces of hardware is available as two different products - one running Destinator, and one running Navigon!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: