Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2004 / HP Navigation Pack and add-on software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2004 / HP Navigation Pack and add-on software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Navigator 2004 / HP Navigation Pack and add-on software Reply with quote

There have been a lot of posts recently about using add-on software such as CheckPOInt with the version of TomTom Navigator in the HP Navigation Pack sold in Europe as a bundle with an iPAQ rz1710.

Both TomTom Navigator 2004 (the new USA / Canada product for the Pocket PC) and the HP Navigation Pack sold in Europe use a version of Navigator based on TomTom's "common platform" - as used in TomTom Go and other TomTom products. If you look at the About screen, you'll find this software calling itself version 4.

At the time of writing, there appears to be no support for the Navigator SDK, which add-on software uses to connect to Navigator, in this "version 4" software. The Navigator SDK works with TomTom Navigator 2 and 3 (and, if I remember rightly, in at least some cases, TomTom Navigator 1).

As a result, it is impossible to use UK Postcode, or the POI alerting features of software such as CheckPOInt, GPSAssist, POI Warner and the TomTom version of Trafcam with the "version 4" software.

If you wish to use the Pocket GPS World camera database, you can install the files by copying them directly into your memory card, or by using the POI Sync service with POIEdit software. You can use the POI detection facility built in to this "version 4" of Navigator to alert you to upcoming cameras once you have camera positions as a POI category in Navigator. Although the article is written for Go, the "version 4" software works in the same way - instructions on how to use the built in proximity warning feature can be found in this article.

Some features of these add-on software programs, such as the POI synchronisation capabilities of GPSAssist, should work with this "version 4" software, but any features that depend on the Navigator SDK will not work at this time.

If TomTom adds Navigator SDK support to this software, this post will be updated.

David

Edit: Link to Mike's article about how to set up the "version 4" software POI warning features added.

Last edited by DavidW on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have just released their new SDK (V3) - perhaps this adds some support for this?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V3 SDK has been around for a little while - and doesn't make any difference so far as I know. This is the SDK version that's been enhanced for Navigator 3; it's not a Navigator "4" version.

I don't believe there's been a reissue of the SDK in the past few weeks for the Navigator "4" software - though I'd love to be wrong over that.

David
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if there's no "V4" support in the V3 SDK, then don't expect anything soon. The V3 SDK was supposed to be released in April....
leevint42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Ok man, this is how you put POIs onto Ipaq rz1710... Reply with quote

...with Tomtom navigator version 4.400 bundle.

I have this package and can now put any POI I require using the POI sync program mentioned above. Forget the bull about only being able to sound a warning for speed cameras, I now have all the gatsos/specs/temps/red lights/brewers fayres that I want!

Firstly download the POI sync program from the site mentioned above to your desktop PC.

Secondly choose the POIs you want using the update manager on the POI sync program following the instructions given on this site.

Now this is where you deviate from the plot, because the POI sync program does not sync with the rz1710. So instead of choosing 'PDA' choose 'local' and save the POIs directly to your desktop for easy access.

Now presuming you have active sync between your rz1710 and desktop, just cut and paste the POI and its associated paint bmp onto your sd card, in the Great Britain Map folder. (To do this open 'My Computer' - 'Mobile Device' - 'SD Card' - 'Great Britain Map'). On your desktop PC the POI file icons will be seen as one with the red tom tom paint hands (file ending 'binaries'), and one with the paint icon 'bmp' (which puts the appropriate icon onto your maps.)

Now your desktop and PDA will sync and you will have the POIs you pasted into your SD card file. These can be enabled via the 'Maintain POI' found in the 'Change preferences' section of navigator.

Now you can travel around and see where all those nasty old speed cameras are hiding!!!

Don't bother trying to get any other file types to work, cos they won't. They must have the file ending 'binaries'.
Phil_Rengert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Leevint42's message, I have also managed to get the camera's etc to work & have added sounds as well. When the POI is made active, there is an option for a sound to be played at a set distance from it (I used the 'car horn'). I have set mine warn me 100 yards from the 'Hazzard' and this works fine. It will not however play any sound if you have the machine 'on', only if you are 'Navigating' to a destination with voice instructions.

Thanks Dave W for the excellent article especially the landscape info. As regarding the speed indicator, I have turned mine round and discovered the car speedo is slow by 4mph in all speeds!

.............Phil
bendyshe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David and leevint42 for the excellent instructions on how to load onto the rz1710. However, one additional question for you both, how did you manage to load the files onto the SD Card without running out of space? My system would only load about a third of the files.

.............Bill
havewheelswilltravel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't meen to poke fun but what size card do you have?
A 512Mb SD is cheap enough these days and with that you can put on as many add-ons you want. I have a half doz mp3 cd's and a few pictures on mine, plus all the tomtom stuf with space to spare.
Mike T
bendyshe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mike T. I have now invested in a 512Mb SD and all now works well - with plenty of space to spare!

Bill
fox7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Hi,

Need a little help - I must be doing something really stupid! Rolling Eyes

I have an HP rz1710 with the HP navigation pack - TomTom V4.440

Have downloaded the safety camera database and copied all files to the "Great-Britan-Map" folder on my SD card (512Mb).

However, when I go into the Enable / Disable POI section there is nothing there relating to the safety cameras. Question Have also tried the POI sync method suggested by leevint42, but still no joy!

I must be missing something really obvious - any suggestions??

Cheers,

Peter
havewheelswilltravel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly Queston. You have un-zipped them? Sounds like you have but stranger things happen. There are about a 18 or so files, of whch you need about a dozen, the OV2's and associated bmp's.
fox7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

havewheelswilltravel wrote:
Silly Queston. You have un-zipped them? Sounds like you have but stranger things happen. There are about a 18 or so files, of whch you need about a dozen, the OV2's and associated bmp's.

Yep, unzipped and I copied over the OV2 and BMP files.

Wondering if I should remove TomTom software from PDA / SD Card and restart from scratch to see if that helps.
havewheelswilltravel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox, Sorry if you thought I implied anything but I have seen such oversights befor, hell I've nealy done it!
A total rebuild at this time seems a bit drastic. One thing you could try is to creat a 'personal' POI whit a couple of items in it. this is saved in the same place as as the trafic cam files. If your system finds your 'personal' and not the trafic then it virtualy eliminates your TT instalation as the fault. Process of elimination.
another posible sprung to mind, did you just copy to your SD or did you use active sync transfer? I have found some things don't work when just copied.
I don't have a 17xx so can't help further. good luck
Mike T
fox7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now - went for the drastic route, wiped SD card clean, uninstalled TomTom & started from scratch.

Now have the camera database working fine along with the audio warnings! :D

Thanks for the advice.

Peter
chasmeister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Setting POI warn. Reply with quote

"It will not however play any sound if you have the machine 'on', only if you are 'Navigating' to a destination with voice instructions."

This isn't correct - check you have the box "warn only if on route" unchecked and it will alert you of anything within a circular radius of your position - even if it isn't on the raod ahead of you i.e. a side road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: