Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Feedback - Ideas on forum posts & reviews
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback - Ideas on forum posts & reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Feedback - Ideas on forum posts & reviews Reply with quote

Evening all!

I've thoroughly appreciated the advice and feedback given by all of the participants on the forums.

However, I thought I'd detail some of the thoughts that have popped into my head as I've been flitting between topics.

Is it possible for topics within a particular forum to be listed in date order, based on the date of the last post on the topic?

Can topics be shown with a summary so that the first post is always shown first, but then all remaining posts are shown in latest date first order?

Is it is possible for a summary of all of the known issues about a particular piece of software to be created and made a sticky? e.g. Map data is always under discussion, but if known issues (such as London Congestion Zone, M6 toll road, Silverstone bypass) haven't been remedied by the latest update, this is detailed.

Under the "Other Articles" section, there is a table, detailing different types of software and the facilities that the software supports. Is it possible for this to be updated? It was published in 2002.

Apologies for so many questions, but one of the difficulties I'm having in assessing the appropriateness of one piece of software over another is that I need to trawl through all of the various forums to compare the software available, to understand all of the issues with it, and to then make a comparison. A summary of some description would do the trick.

I'm thinking: across the top row would be the name of the software; down the side, the relevant features would be listed - none of the stuff that you can read on the box, but real use data (2d/3d view - good/bad, information displayed on navigation screen, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, the quality of the advice and information given is absolutely fantastic, and pgw is an invaluable site. For the newbie or the new visitor to pgw, I just feel that a summary would spare the hard work - but I acknowledge that it needs someone to put it together.

I've subscribed to the post and welcome any thoughts.

S
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback - Ideas on forum posts & reviews Reply with quote

Spudson wrote:
Is it possible for topics within a particular forum to be listed in date order, based on the date of the last post on the topic?

This is the standard sort order.you may have been derailed by the many sticky posts - those stay on top.

Quote:

Is it is possible for a summary of all of the known issues about a particular piece of software to be created and made a sticky? e.g. Map data is always under discussion, but if known issues (such as London Congestion Zone, M6 toll road, Silverstone bypass) haven't been remedied by the latest update, this is detailed.

We tried that many times, but it seems to be in the human nature not to read the FAQ. Instead, users are happy to ask the question first, and then maybe browse the site and - god forbid - use the search function as a last resort.
On the other hand this also allows for a fresh perspective on an issue - conditions may have changed, and so have solution proposals.

Cleaning up the site from old content sounds like a good idea. I am sure it will still sound like a good idea tomorrow, and after the weekend...

8O

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for the reply.

Need you to address my earlier point however re. potential for the first post to remain at top of record. I still feel that a summary of the merits of each system is needed - but on the basis that there have been no other posts, it looks like I'm a lone voice.

I've had another thought though - in "pounding the streets" to determine which PDA/GPS or Integrated GPS solution to plump for, I've seen the following examples on sale on my High Street (generally speaking):

Tom Tom Go
    HP Ipaq Rz1710 with TomTom Navigator Software
    HP Ipaq RX3715 with TomTom Navigator 3 Software
    NavMan 510 & NavMan 650
    NavMan Pin300
    Medion PNA100
    Navigon BlueMedia
    Mio168 with CoPilot/MioMap

While this list isn't exhaustive, could I ask that you conduct a poll amongst users to determine what set-up they'd like to be tested? Not only would this help users to determine what's on their High Street, but it'll also help with prioritising reviews.

Thoughts?

S

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: