Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS works with which Pocket PC ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS works with which Pocket PC ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Which GPS works with which Pocket PC ? Reply with quote

When you're looking to purchase a new Palm / Pocket PC or GPS receiver, it's sometimes hard to see the wood from the trees, and the biggest question we get is what GPS receiver can I use on this Pocket PC. So we've tried to simplify this for you. We've decided to create three tables of information allowing you to choose your Pocket PC and GPS Receiver and check compatibility. The first table gives you basic information about the Pocket PC, including Operating System, Processor, Speed, whether it supports Compact Flash Storage (Type I and II), MMC Storage, SD Storage, the new SDIO (SD Storage Card support IO GPS Receivers), IBM MicroDrive, PC Card and Bluetooth technology.

The second table shows you in-car powered GPS Receivers, and which ones will work with which Pocket PC's. We'll try and keep this as up to date as possible. Anything listed in a PINK colour means that there is a restriction. In the case of you'll see Sleeve, Adapter or a model number, there is a specific requirement for these.

The Third Table shows you Garmin and Megallan GPS Receivers and which Pocket PC's they can connect to using PC-Mobile Cables.

The full article is available here.
tomekk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Which GPS works with which Pocket PC ? Reply with quote

Is that really true that Loox neither works with Emtac BT GPS nor Garmin etrex. I find it hard to believe...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

There are no PC-Mobile cables for the Pocket Loox. They will be in production shortly and we'll amend the table then they get released.

Regarding the Loox and BT, I've had difficulty finding information on the Loox compatibility with many devices and also the Tungsten, so the tables may show that BTGPS won't work. As soon as I can find information to support that it does work, or receive responses from others who have tested this, we'll then update the table.

Unfortunately manufacturers don't tell you what products work with their products, and there can be a lot of inconsistencies and problems occuring, so we've tried to base the tables on information provided by the manufacturers. If that information isn't available, then we will try and find reports on the internet to say that it does work and then list it in our tables.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

We have actually introduced interfaces for LOOX at the end of February, 2 days after we took delivery of a brand new LOOX!

Even we introduced it in such a short time, it had been thorughly tested.

We also tested the LOOX with a BT GPS with no problem. (do not ask what/which, as it is still under developement)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Superb, I missed that entirely. I saw your post in the forum at end of February saying they'd be available shortly, but didn't see it on your website. I'll add these to the chart
nicknick
Regular Visitor

The HP568 can have an MMC slot if you use the special extended battery. This is how I am using TTN with a Pretec LP CF on mine

NN
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

My compliments on this excellent resource, obviously painstaking in development. Being a newbie, I'm not sure I know what SDIO is; but, as I'm about to buy the Loox for use in conjunction with the Emtac BT GPS and as I only discarded the Toshiba E740 on grounds of the small extra cost, I'd be grateful if someone could please clarify the significance of the fact that, in your tables, the Loox doesn't support SDIO but does support Bluetooth, whereas the Tosh supports SDIO but only supports E740 BT? Are these factors significant in making my choice between the Loox and the Tosh? Thanks for any input.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

When thinking of SDIO think Compact Flash but smaller. Compact Flash cards allow you to store data on them, but you also get Compact Flash GPS receivers, scanners and other devices. The IO in SDIO basically is opening up Secure Digital technology to other IO devices like GPS Receivers, but SDIO deevices won't work on SD slots, you need to make sure you have an SDIO slot. There will be shortly available some smart SDIO GPS Receivers (so tiny!), but you won't be able to use these cards on the Loox as it doesn't support SDIO, and they're bound to be expensive!

Now the Loox does support Bluetooth which in theory will allow you to run the Loox against a BT GPS, although I haven't tried it myself but others have.

Personally I wouldn't go with an SDIO GPS receiver, they're not out yet as far as I know, or they're not in mass production. When selecting a GPS/Pocket PC package, you need to make sure you have a storage slot available be it SD or CF to take a storage card for maps, you then need to find another way of connecting a GPS to the Pocket PC. If a Pocket PC has both SD and CF then you could use SD for storage and use a CF receiver. If a Pocket PC only has SD, then you could use this for storage, but you'd have to connect a GPS receiver to the bottom sync/serial port of the Pocket PC, or use a Bluetooth connection (if the Pocket PC supports this) to a BT GPS.

Hope this helps explain this a little.
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

Dave, many thanks for the clear and helpful explanation of SDIO. I expect you've seen the following ? http://www.socketcom.com/product/BL4800-392.asp

On another part of their site, the price quoted for this Bluetooth-enabling SDIO aerial card is $150

I'd be most grateful if you are able to please also clarify what the difference is between the Loox's support for Bluetooth as opposed to the Tosh's seemingly more limited support only for e740 BT? Does the Tosh not work with the EMTAC BT GPS then?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Tony, no difference that I'm aware of between the Loox and E740BT in the way the Bluetooth works, it's just there's a specific E740BT version of the E740 that supports Bluetooth, so if you're going for the E740 it doesn't support Bluetooth natively, so you do need to purchase the E740BT.

I've just checked the hardware page and it should list the Toshiba E740BT as being compatible with the Emtac BTGPS, we'll get this changed shortly.
Brenall
Occasional Visitor

Can some one tell me where i can get a cable to link my GArmin 3 upto my Ipaq 3660, to run in my car?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Try PC-Mobile.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

GPS Hardware page has been updated with new cable set options for the Holux GM-210 SuperMouse.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: