Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN510 European Premium Edition Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN510 European Premium Edition Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Navman Premium Reply with quote

Dave, your announcement/review of the upgraded Navman package spoilt my day! I bought the iCN510 before Christmas (Cristmas present to myself) and as I have a voluntary job in the summer in Europe, bought the European maps about 10 days ago. Cost of Navman £435, Larger SD card at £30 and now the maps at £145, does not seem like a good deal (retrospectively!) with the new package only £499 and, I guess, cheaper from big on-line sellers.
The unit I now have is good but stretched my pocket and the news today has left me with a very dissatisfied feeling.....

Gee-Pee Crying or Very sad
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Pee. As you will see from an earlier thread i to bought the navman 510 just b4 xmas though i have not purchased the extra,s yet, i paid £499.99 for mine also. Think if enough of us can get together that Navman may give us the same deal, i doubt it but it may be worth a shout if enough names come up. How bout it guys????
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always worth trying. I suspect that the answer will be that, like computer technology, things move along very fast. What may have been a good deal at Christmas is now history.
However, I have already fired off an email to Navman Tech Support and will not leave it there. If other Navman owners do the same it just might have an effect. However, judging by the dearth of Navman forum posters, we are in the minority. I still think it is a good system but feel almost conned when a company does this so soon after the initial launch.
Gee-Pee Sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like computer technology, things move along very fast. What may have been a good deal at Christmas is now history. What ? Sorry ? Laughing

Seriously though, unfortunately that is the case, purchase anything in technology and it depreciates just as quick as purchasing a new car and driving it off the garage forecourt.

There's always something better down the road in a short while, but ask yourself, can you wait ? You'll be waiting for a long time until you find something you really want, and even then something better will be out a few weeks later. That's life unfortunately.

Purchase what you can afford today and don't look back (or forward) Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Moving on Reply with quote

You're right, of course, Dave. I must be getting old and grumpy. It is just the speed and financial implication of this particular rethink by Navman. After all, they have not improved the product, just packaged it differently at a must more realistic price. Mine is still a good product - I noted the reviews on last night's Gadget show (CH5) - not my particular model although same software.

Must remember to be :D today!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an unfortunately thing but all early adopters when a product has recently been released will pay more than subsequent users to come over time. You do pay the price for buying a new product. It really boils down to how much it depreciates over time, how much they (e.g. Navman) want to gain market share and how confident they are with the product to keep the price as close to the original release price as possible.

It is usual when newer packages come out to discount the previous package. I've always paid a high price on tech gear I've purchased, and I know it, even from purchasing a laptop from PC World to find 2 weeks later they've dropped the price by £100. I guess it's life at the end of the day. Nothing in todays society holds it's value, and certainly when it comes down to technology, it all seems to be a throwaway culture now rather than wait for it to break.
yrhombus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Would be nice if they made a gesture though... Reply with quote

It's not uncommon in the world of software - even commodity software - to give some sort of "concilliatory" offer to someone who has just bought something when an upgrade is released.

Presumably Navman are happy enough not to do this as new sales are probably piling up for the 510 as it's a very pleasant device.

Mind you, they are losing out with me as I probably won't buy the extra maps whereas I might if they offered me some sort of discount for already having forked out the full price for a non-European version.
ultravioletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I can compare the actual (online) prices in Germany:
Mitac 269 is sold for €529,- by a certain Blueshop24, whereas the Premium Edition of ICN510 can be found on eBay, for €688,-.
(Not to mention the costs of an additional SD card, for Europe maps, as the delivered 378MB one is pre-installed only with Germany).

I truly belive the SmartST is better than the Navigon without TMC. It looks nicer and has the built-in alarms for POIs. But I also believe that it doesn't justify the price difference.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
However, I have already fired off an email to Navman Tech Support and will not leave it there. If other Navman owners do the same it just might have an effect. Gee-Pee Sad

Regrettably, Navman have failed to respond. Not surprising? But then, since purchase I have asked them one or two questions about the Navman and not one has elicited a response. That's the reason I joined this and one other forum where I have obtained sensible answers.

GPS is becoming more and more popular and Navman will not maintain their market share if they do not give their customers some support.
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have also E-mailed Navman and also sent a copy of this forum and suprisingly i too have had no response either :x .
When i first purchased my Navman 510 i had a problem (and still have) that the pen does not work on many letters unless pressed in a certain place and the letter 'y' is virtualy redundant. When i returned to the retailer (the guy is very helpful) they managed to get me through to one of Navmans top men who promised me lots of help. I have mailed him on several occasions and tried ringing and as of yet (2 months later) have had no assistance whatsoever. I will certainly think twice before recomending Navman, which is a shame because i think the unit is very good, if this is the level of service given and i have a lot of potential customers on my vehicle every week.......
martley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ae all so right aout Navman. I was going to get the 510 but the heard about the premium edition and decided to wait. Still it is not in stores or on the net, despite them saying it was out 15th February. Anyway, I contacted them but they never reply to voicemails or emails...an absolute disgrace!! Eventually I get through and they say the new edition is only released to Halfords now. Bit they know nothing about it whilst others say the Euro edition will now never be released. So what' s fact and what's fiction? I am still waiting and the whole thing is a joke....
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been shopping around without success. Retailers either don't know about it or have heard about it but have no idea when or if they will get stocks. I have suggested to people they should consider it but now feel embarrased that I have given them duff info. Certainly Navman dont respond to queries. What is going on Question
delta99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Navman 510 Vs Mitac Mio 269 Reply with quote

Just spent 5 days trialling the Mio 269. Disappointing!!!

Now maybe this was an early batch - but......

the unit is very slow to start up - and to operate.... hung on too many occasions.... battery lasts about 2 hours..... you can only work with one detailed country map at a time and to change map you need to re-start the unit..... too much of the map screen is taken up with unneccesary information and you can't get rid of it all

I've returned it to the seller - intend to trial the navman pan-europe version - if it ever makes it to the stores
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a well known national retailer and just received delivery of the premium edition 510. Looks exactly same but it is in a gold box and comes complete with the remote control and has the street maps of europe. But before anyone asks me I only got one and it didn't last very long !! To the above poster I would like to know how you get to "trial" the products mentioned as the returns imposed by navman and the other manufacturers are watertight, in other words if the unit ain't faulty you can't send it back for credit!
martley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following my earlier post I can now confirm that I have got hold of the Navman ICN 510 Premium Edition. It is now coming into all Halford Stores, and I got hold of mine from a store in staffordshire on 28th February. It does come in a repackaged gold box and I am very pleased with the item. I do not know if it is still only going into Halfords, but I am pleased I waited for it. I was going t get the Mio 269, but hyaving seen the above post, am glad I stuck to the 510. Everything about this item is stylish and classy. It looks good, works great and the mapping is clear and pleasing to the eye when viewing whilst driving. I never took to the TomTom Go as I felt it was a little too bulky and I couldn't get it into my pocket. Anyway, if you are waiting for this edition keep trying Halfords...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: