Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Differences between 303 chipsets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences between 303 chipsets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ojje
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Differences between 303 chipsets Reply with quote

I wonder if someone can tell me more about the differences between the Haicom 303 chipsets.

/Örjan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI-303E - Evermore chipset

HI-303MMF - SiRFstar IIe/LP chipset running SiRF GSW2 ("standard SiRF") firmware

HI-303S - SiRFstar IIe/LP chipset running SiRF Xtrac firmware.

My suggestion would be to avoid the Evermore chipset and chose whichever of the others suits your usage most. For what it's worth, I have a HI-303MMF.

David
Dereks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new at this game!

Re the Evermore chipset, is there a problem with it (performance, reliability, old technology or whatever?)

The reason I ask is that I have a perfectly working, albeit 5 year old, HP Jornada 520 that I would like to enable with GPS.

However, the only wired GPS unit that I can find that lists a compatible cable to connect is the Haicom HI-203E (Evermore!)

I could fit a CF card but I need the slot for CF memory for Maps.

To be honest, I'm dabbling in GPS, fascinated by the technology (gadget freak!) rather than having a serious need at this time , so absolute performance is not paramount.

Can you guys comment?

Cheers

Derek
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cable for the TomTom wired GPS (which is SiRF based) to a Jornada 5xx - whether anyone still stocks it, I don't know.

David
Carlsn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Sorry to jump into this topic, but are you able to answer Dereks question - 'is there a problem with the Evermore chipset?'

The reason I ask is that I've a 303E and Destinator keeps throwing up the error message 'GPS not found'
TomTom Navigator6
Sandisk U2 512mb SD Card
Dereks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I think I may have cracked it - totalpda.co.uk are advertising :- "this cable is needed to connect your tomtom gps system to your HP Jornada 5xx/928 series model" and it's in stock!

From the wording it appears that the cable will fit the whole jornada range (as I suspected as I can see no physical differences beteen the models) so hopefully the connections/protocols are the same accross the range as well.

If so, this widens the net as there are many units that list the Jornada 540 as compaitible.

Alternatively, I am currently bidding on a used IPAQ 2210! Wink

Cheers

Derek (S)
Dereks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted - won the IPAQ!

Now decisions, decisions - CF card for complete portability and powered speaker car mount, Powered car mount and mouse, powered car mount with inbuilt GPS.......... !!
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a Haicom CF card with BT slipper. Then you can either use it BT, use it as CF card, you can even get cables to cable it to the 2210!!! That way if you don't like one option you can switch to another Laughing

Actually I started off with the 303E in CF mode on a 2210. Worked fine, used the external antenna plugged into it and on the dash inside the car as vision of sky was restricted using a vent mount. 303E worked OK, bit slow to lock. Now invested in a BT Slipper which came with 303MMF, works very well.

If you're using the CF option and planning on using Tom Tom you'll have to put Tom Tom on the SD card. Just have a look for the threads on SD cards here 'cos TT, 2210's and certain brands of SD cards don't always seem to function well. If you go for wired or BT you can stick the maps on CF card which seem less 'touchy'!!

Rod
Darth_Vader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth I have the same setup:-

IPAQ 2210 PC2003
HAiCOM Hi-303e CF
SimpleTech ProXSD 256MB SD card
External antenna
Arcon Mount
Aquapak waterproof case
Tomtom 2 and 3

I bought this around a year ago and apart from the hair pulling frustration at getting to grips with the Tomtom foibles, features and bugs I find that it is a very stable and extremely portable solution.

I hadn't found this website at the time of purchase but had read up on all the technical bits. I still feel conned by the 303E as I though I was buying a 303MMF! However it has worked faultlessly in both my wife’s Clio and my XJS.

Then there is the SD card. If you are going to use in-car navigation such as Tomtom then there is a big difference in performance depending on the manufacturer. I won't claim mine is best as I have been off track during the last 7 months but the ProX is extremely fast compared to my original Integral SD card. It now zaps through route recalculations in seconds rather than minutes - blurb says up to 10MB per second write speed who cares since we need read speed cos if you write a lot to an SD card you'll wear the VTOC area out then just toast.

Dead portable a few seconds to unplug and put into a brief case or pockets - good when bursting for the loo!

The water proof case is used when our family go walking in the wet countryside and its used as a combined compass map/position locator. Ditto for sailing can check position on the charts. The external aerial is used when below decks to get a sat nav fix. Also may need this if you have a heated car windscreen.

Another boon with TomTom and I guess other sat Nav packages are the POIs - good for petrol stations, loos (already mentioned!) little chef and the biggy of all SPEED Cameras. Today more than ever with variable speed limits along one stretch of road in an unfamiliar area its saved my bacon and paid for itself

I still remember the very first time we put TomTom to test was in a trip to Cornwall where it worked faultlessly. For example on one stretch of the A30 between Redruth and Penzance on a perfectly straight road that just goes down a steep hill and up the other side equally steep - no hazards, no crossroads, nothing but two speed cameras placed just where you would accidentally have let the car speed up!

Have fun choosing and then have fun using (I'm almost bald now with the hair pulling!)

Cheers,

DV

May the sauce be on all your chips...................
Dereks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Again, thanks for all the above. Have just won Haicom 303mmf on ebay from a company in Germany - £66 inc. :D
http://stores.ebay.de/Electronics-Online_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

As suggested above, gives me loads of options. Have TomTom running on the PDA without GPS whilst waiting delivery. Looks fun and have used it standalone to plan routes, run demo etc..

Does seem to have a couple of oddities, but then so do I!

Cheers

Derek
Dereks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dereks wrote:
Hi all,

Again, thanks for all the above. Have just won Haicom 303mmf on ebay from a company in Germany - £66 inc. :D
http://stores.ebay.de/Electronics-Online_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Hi all,

Real problem after only 8 Months! Throughout the summer, I made the effort remember to remove the Haicom from the dashboard when parking all day to avoid cooking, although sometimes forgetting.

Nevertheless, despite these efforts, the plastic case has gone brittle and for the first time in a while I attempted to use the CF card option and the CF hinge disintegrated. I now have 2 halves held together by half a dozen tiny wires to the PS2 port (which is aslo intermittently dodgy). Sad

Seems that a device designed for the hostile environment of a car dashboard is not actually designed for the hostile environment of a car dashboard! Evil or Very Mad

I suppose in theory I have the 12 month guarantee, however I suspect
It will be deemed as misuse. Good fun while it lasted though. Wink

Derek
kiwiruss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsn wrote:
David,

Sorry to jump into this topic, but are you able to answer Dereks question - 'is there a problem with the Evermore chipset?'

The reason I ask is that I've a 303E and Destinator keeps throwing up the error message 'GPS not found'

I think this is a Destinator Issue as I have the Haicom 303S with SIRFII and it does the same thing now and then.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: