Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Clue to a PART of the problem??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Clue to a PART of the problem??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: A Clue to a PART of the problem?? Reply with quote

I am running TTN2 on an iPAQ 3830 with an EMTAC GPS Jacket (not CoPilot badged). The PDA has a 128MB SD on board and the EMTAC has 256MB CF card. The TT software is loaded on the PDA, the full GB map is on the CF and a partial 16MB map is on the SD for use without GPS.

Apart from the poor address search features, I have had little difficulty in achieving 'real time' routing, re-routing, including navigating with favourites etc, and use of the various views and road block and avoid roads etc.

However, since I am new to GPS and also PDA's, I have spent a lot of time using the system 'in-doors', planning routes and running demos. It was necessary for the EMTAC to be attached, since this is where the majority of the maps are stored. During that time, there have been many instances of crashes, lock-ups, which in part, I was attributing to Windows and my own inexperience with PDA's. I did however always make sure that no other programmes were running and that RAM memory was adjusted in favour of programmes rather than storeage.

I did notice that when trying to route from the Nav screen it would obviously report "unreliable position etc" and it seemed that the screen was pulsating, trying to get a fix. I found it was possible to turn off the GPS from the GPS screen, and of course the system reported "GPS Disabled". This woud of course happen automatically with car based GPS systems. Once "Disabled" I found that the system was initially stable but did not always remain so. I have subsequently noticed that the GPS does not always remain disabled, which seems to account for the returning problem.

I don't know if that is of any use, or whether it only adds to the problem. But it does demonstrate, I think, that there is the potential for an instability problem on what appears to be a 'trusted' hardware platform and maybe other set-ups are more sensitive to that same problem??????

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: