Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjt00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 07 April 2003

XJT, this is quite normal even under TTN1. It won't plot a route if it thinks you're too far off a road as it doesn't know where to join the road. You may have been lucky under TTN1, or parked closer to the road ? I've noticed some days it can be worse with GPS signals being another 10-20 feet off which tends to create this more for me. AFAIK, TTN2 doesn't do anything different in this area.

Thanks for your advice, Dave. I played with this Bedford Road and its adjacent Onslow Street in Guildford again after I read your message. Whatever I tried, I just couldn't set Departure or Destination from the map. I could only use Find/Address to set Departure or Destination on these two roads (another road I tried was Sydenham Road in Guildford). I don't know if it's just my problem.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by clem on 07 April 2003

Dave, Is this really the best setting? All the blurb suggests FAT 32 for SD cards 64MB and above, and a large cluster size when dealing with big files?

There really isn't much of a saving with FAT32 on current sized SD cards for the Pocket PC. I can't remember where I read it, but I thought it was better for compatibility to use FAT16. It might not have been to do with Pocket PC's, I think it may have been digital cameras as most of them have their own OS and prefer FAT16 and won't read FAT32. Either way I've always stuck with FAT16 and haven't had any problems.
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

To try and clear the storage issue. FAT = File Allocation Table i.e. the map of which files are stored in which clusters the bigger the cluster size (ranging from 512bytes 1,2,4,8,16kb)(fat32 is slightly different as its good for drives above 1/2gb so not really a ppc issue).

So if you store a 8kb file on fat512 then you'll use 16 clusters & upto 16 memory address locations in the fat, if you use fat16/32 then you'll only use one cluster but with a bit of slack space. The fat is obviously accessed many thousands of times a second so the slimmer and more efficient it is the better.

In reality the space lost to slack (and its not really lost just under utilised!) compared to the improvement in the fat is not an issue. And obviously when your dealing with big files (maps etc.) its a big benefit.

Also defragging is a regular task you should do (as you should regularly do with your desktop pc!)
clem
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 07 April 2003

Cessquill, best to keep with FAT/FAT16 and use the default settings.

Talkingbollox, you shouldn't need to do this, but if you do get problems with any software it's always best to defrag. You should see the amount of crap I have installed to my PPC that TTN2 is currently sitting on, haven't had any problems with it so far. I used to get tons of problems though with TTN1 when I heavily used Mazingo as it would on a daily basis copy and delete in the region of around 20,000 files to my storage card. Gave up on Mazingo in the end!

Dave, Is this really the best setting? All the blurb suggests FAT 32 for SD cards 64MB and above, and a large cluster size when dealing with big files?

Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Talkingbollox wrote: "I'm with Oldie - I received the cd today, but I'm in two minds as to whether to upgrsde until the dust settles a bit. I won't be using TomTom until the weekend anyway, so I'll just watch from the sidelines and familiarise myself with the instructions for now...."

Having had an email today we are at the stage where we can order the free Nav 2 upgrade within the next 60 days. We wonder if there is any point at all in waiting in the hope that TomTom may be ironing out software problems on the hoof, as it were, and making corrections even at this early/late stage?

How do TomTom issue subsequent corrections? Are they downloaded, or are new CDs issued? I am sorry if these are dumb questions, but if you think there is any advantage in waiting a month or so, then I'd like to know . . .

Thanks, Buffy :0)

RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Well I have tried just about everything and it is virtually impossible to navigate either via the favourite menu or by choosing a location on the map. I just formatted my SD card, installed the map to my PC, then copied it to my Ipaq. This made no difference!!

I think the time has come to revert back to navigator 1 as the new version is too unstable for me. As a final comment, I asked a colleague who had just installed navigator 2 on his 3970 to try & set my home address as a favourite..... the same thing happened!!!!!!

IF YOU ARE READING THIS TOMTOM THEN HOW ABOUT AT LEAST REASSURING ALL OF US THAT YOU ARE LOOKING INTO THESE PROBLEMS
clem
Regular Visitor

I've got exactly the same disk access problem. Tried most things with no success. Even copied the files to my harddisk and copied from there - no good.

So I'm now going to try and format the SD card. Anybody know what the best cluster size is for this 92MB GB file? I've gone with 32kb.

i'll let you know how I get on.
RichardS
Occasional Visitor

I have just bought TTN2, and been using it for just under a day. However, I am now on the verge of sending it back. Main problem is massive instability, lockups and crashing.

I have filled in the problem report on TomTom's website, and depending on the outcome within the next week or so, determines whether I keep it or not.

Up until now I had been using TomTom Citymaps with my Toshiba E740 BT, which had kind of been my introductory experiment to the whole topic.

I then bought the Emtac Bluetooth GPS which I think is excellent. The combination with Citymaps (to the extent of its capabilities) gave me great optimism when I heard about the new Navigator 2, so I was eager to get my hands on it. Perhaps this level of expectation now explains my current feeling of downright disappointment.

Main problem is it crashes or locks up all the time. I must have now reset my PPC more than 30 times in the past day. This is mostly erratic and without specific cause (eg trying to set departure/destination on the Map screen).

However, the Navigator screen (ie the useful bit) is the worst. If I try to "Navigate to home" or to a favourite, at that instant the whole thing stops, there is no response and I have to reset. If I am lucky, Navigator just disappears and saves me the reset. I maybe have got this working once or twice, but have consistent failures the rest of the time. I could do the same in Citymaps with no problem.

I can only enter a route using the map screen, and then switch to the navigator screen for it to pick up the route. No use if you need to change something whilst driving etc.

I have tried re-installing (several times...), even from fresh after a factory-init reset, but to no avail. I am using the maps installed on a 128MB SD card, whether that matters or not. I am now at a complete loss of what to do next.

Another observation (from the many times I have needed to reset) is that on loading up Navigator, it seems to send a "reset" command back to the GPS unit. This is because the GPS unit loses its fix at the same time as Navigator loads (there is a beep as well), and then takes around 10 seconds or more to re-fix. I don't understand why it does this if the GPS is fixed already, this did not happen with Citymaps.

I have also noticed that the "safety" screen is also unstable. On a journey today, as soon as I got on the motorway the safety screen came on. Within 20 seconds Navigator had vanished. Needless to say I have now turned that feature off.

Perhaps it is something to do with my setup, but Navigator 2 claims to support all of my hardware. And now I have done the factory init, there is nothing that can be interfering.

In summary, I think the basic lack of reliablity makes this completely unusable. There is no point having something that has to be reset all the time - you might as well use a road atlas.

Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

Dave, is it really necessary to defrag the sd card?

I'm with Oldie - I received the cd today, but I'm in two minds as to whether to upgrsde until the dust settles a bit. I won't be using TomTom until the weekend anyway, so I'll just watch from the sidelines and familiarise myself with the instructions for now....

Thanks in advance
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Well, after clearing out my storage card and putting everything back on it seems a little more stable.

Is it safe to reformat an SD card using different settings then? I'd not really considered it before, but if it'll make the software run better I'm up for it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

XJT, this is quite normal even under TTN1. It won't plot a route if it thinks you're too far off a road as it doesn't know where to join the road. You may have been lucky under TTN1, or parked closer to the road ? I've noticed some days it can be worse with GPS signals being another 10-20 feet off which tends to create this more for me. AFAIK, TTN2 doesn't do anything different in this area.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by johnmar on 07 April 2003

This approach reminds me of an article which I read in the dim-distant past in a car magazine about the then current Jensen Healey c. 1970's (anyone old enough to remember that). The title of the article was something like "Engine by Lotus, gearbox by Sunbeam, body by Jensen and development by Customer". How times have changed, not!

I have driven one of those Jensen Healey GT's which my father had. Not a bad car except for the rust which eventually ate it! As you say a bit of a mongrel.

My TTN 2 has been depatched - just awaiting the knock on the door...
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Quote: Originally posted by RichDem on 07 April 2003

Hi Oldie,

Did you get your copy of navigator 2 yet? A work colleague has just installed it on his 3970 so we are going to try some of the things I am having problems with.

I hope TomTom are as quick to respond to these problems as NavMan were to the faults with their product.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, it arrived today but I have not installed it as I am going to Ipswich on Friday and I want to use TTN when I am there. There seem to be so many problems coming to light that, reluctantly, I have decided to wait until I come back. I will keep looking to see how you get on.
xjt00
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

My TTN2 and GPS are in Program Files fold. I always check with Switcher Bar to make sure no other programs are running while I'm trying TTN2.

I used to set a car par at Bedford Rd in Guildford from the map for trials with TTN1. If I do the same with TTN2 (on the road or off the road), I'll get a 'Destination not set' message.
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

I use softwinter tools (as suggested by dave above) to format scan & defrag cards.

Further to my earlier post. I also beleive that ttn finds it easier to read map data from the card when it is stored contiguously (i.e. all together in one place, certainly it should read it quicker). If you install maps to an existing card it will have free space scattered through out. When you install / copy a file to it it may not store the file contiguously but in clumps. Formatting the card and then copying the files back on ensures that the files are stored contigouously.

Mally is the CD Rom disk scratched? Have you tried the install to local folder option rather than direct to the ppc card (it's a bit quicker!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: