Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce Mobile 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce Mobile 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: TomTom announce Mobile 5 Reply with quote

TomTom have announced TomTom Mobile 5 at GSM in Cannes today. The details are in the following press release

TomTom press release wrote:
TomTom Launches First Truly Personal Navigation Solution

~TomTom MOBILE 5 is the world’s first navigation solution for getting from A to B by car, walking or even on bike ~

Cannes, 14 February 2005 – TomTom, Europe’s leading navigation solution provider, today announces the launch of the world’s first ever truly personal navigation system for advanced mobile phones with the launch of TomTom MOBILE 5.

Using a new TomTom GPS receiver, incorporating the latest high sensitivity technology, TomTom MOBILE 5 provides an easy to use and smart navigation solution that helps consumers to find their way with their smartphones. This provides door to door, accurate navigation anywhere in your country and even around city centers and towns whether walking, driving or cycling.

“TomTom MOBILE 5 is a major step forward in terms of personal navigation and responds to the growing opportunities in the smartphone market.” said Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “For the first time satellite navigation has been extended outside the car and into the hands of anyone who needs to find their way from A to B whichever mode of transport they choose. This is another step forward for TomTom and will make life easier for consumers and underlines our position as the market leader for personal navigation solutions.”

WHAT’S NEW:
Incorporating TomTom’s award-winning easy-to-use navigation software, the latest version includes:
• Find the quickest route with an estimated time of arrival
• Route planning: for fastest, shortest, pedestrian, bicycle and moped routes
• Postcode support (UK & Netherlands only)
• Full integration into the mobile phone menu to allow navigation to a destination from the contacts stored in a mobile phone
• Supports real-time traffic and weather alerts
• Full itinerary support, plan routes to multiple destinations and add stopping points on the journey
• Download extra maps as and when they are needed

Other features include: the ability to make calls while continuing to get visual route instructions; 3D map view; night and day view settings and customizable Points of Interest (POI) and additional maps, downloadable from http://www.tomtom.com.

HOW IT WORKS:
Installing TomTom MOBILE 5 simply involves inserting a memory card with pre-installed maps and software into a smartphone. TomTom’s new Bluetoothtm wireless GPS receiver (a small, lightweight device that can be placed in the pocket or a bag) connects automatically to the smartphone. This solution allows greater portability and convenience for using the mobile phone both inside and outside of the car as well as spoken turn-by-turn instructions. The automatic re-routing feature allows for safe and quick redirecting when needed.

Pricing and availability
TomTom MOBILE 5 comes as a bundle on a wide-range of popular smartphones. Prices will vary according to handset and subscription. TomTom MOBILE 5 will be in available in Spring 2005.

TomTom MOBILE 5 is initially compatible with:

• Nokia: 6630, 6600, 6260, 6670, 7610, 7710, 9300, 9500
• Orange: SPV C500, E200
• Q-Tek: 8010, 8020, 8060, 8080
• Motorola: MPx 220
• T-Mobile: SDA
• iMate: SP3
• Treo: 650
• Gizmondo

japester36
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do we think that there will be an upgrade from 4 to 5? I've only had mine 7 weeks.

With new hardware involved I guess they may only offer new sales.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have in the past always offered very generous upgarde paths to existing users, although I have no firm information I see no reason not to expect a discounted upgrade to existing owners.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope there is an upgrade as I only bought my copy a few weeks ago as well. The shelf life of version 4 hasnt been long so why didnt TT inform us there was going to be upgrade available a little sooner or did they choose the GSM conference to announce? Any ideas of timescales?

Cheers
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring 2005...
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah didnt read the entire press statement Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
I hope there is an upgrade as I only bought my copy a few weeks ago as well. The shelf life of version 4 hasnt been long so why didnt TT inform us there was going to be upgrade available a little sooner or did they choose the GSM conference to announce? Any ideas of timescales?

Cheers

As far as the PPC Platform goes, there hasn't been a Version 4 anywhere outside the US, TTN5 is an upgrade from V3.

If you are referring to the HP Edition as V4 then this is an entirely seperate and HP Specific product.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gstenson wrote:

Cheers

There hasn't been a Version 4 anywhere outside the US, TTN5 is an upgrade from V3,if you are referring to the HP Edition as V4 this is an entirely seperate and HP Specific product.

No sorry for the confusion I meant Tomtom mobile - which I was referring to as v4. This hasnt been out very long.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be totaly accurate there has only been the announcement ot TomTom Mobile 5.

All other comments are pure speculation at the moment, but as all TomTom Navigator Products except TomTom Navigator 3 are based on the same core infrastructure it is a good bet that this will be announced on other platforms soon.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course. For the benefit of anyone reading, those were assumptions re. TTN5 for PPC, I have no inside knowledge of forthcoming releases!
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Postcode search Reply with quote

Have I misread the press release? I don't think that it actually says FULL postcode search. This would involve incredible licence fees to (I think) Royal Mail.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Mobile 4 already has Postcode support Europe wide, so I am making the assumption that they have improved it to full postcode support for the UK and Holland.
Swampylee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this on their website:

Question
Can I upgrade TomTom MOBILE to TomTom MOBILE 5?

Answer
An upgrade program for existing customers will be announced soon. Keep an eye on our website and newsletter for more information. Click Here to register for the TomTom newsletter.

I do hope it's an extremely attractive upgrade offer or they are going to have a large number of current TTM users shouting loudly at them!
Cheers, Swampylee
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only upgrade deals TomTom have operated recently have been for Navigator on the Pocket PC - both in Europe and North America.

Suffice it to say that TomTom's upgrade terms have been some of the most generous in the business to date. By the time the cost hit your credit card, Navigator 2 to Navigator 3 on the Pocket PC was about 40 pounds including VAT and shipping (the charges were billed in Euros). Considering the cost included updated maps, it was a good deal, especially when you look at the upgrade deals for competing products.

Do make sure you haven't lost your Product Code(s) - they're usually the way that TomTom validate upgrade orders.

All will become clear in time. TomTom have historically announced new products for European users at CeBIT (which is in March) for late March / April availability. I suspect full details will be released some time in the next month or so.

With mention of version 5, it seems that TomTom are going to move on beyond the current version 4 "common platform" code (as used on Go, Navigator for Palm OS, TomTom Mobile, and two Pocket PC products - TomTom Navigator HP Edition and TomTom Navigator 2004 in North America) for the next series of products, which is very good news, especially for TomTom Navigator 3 users on the Pocket PC who were fearing the loss of many features they've grown used to in the next Pocket PC version.

So far as the licence fees for postcode searching goes, AA Navigator has full postcode support, though to full postcode level rather than house number plus postcode (which is very expensive data, as well as a very large dataset). If I remember rightly, that software sells for around £100.

David
mcddrums
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this likely to be available for symbian operatng system phones such as the Motorola A1000?

Anyone know?????

Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: