Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OSGB, LAT/LONG, Co-Ordinate Converting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OSGB, LAT/LONG, Co-Ordinate Converting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry

I obtained the co-ordinates by following your instructions for the use of the programme from the wb site, ie goto map view in TomTom, goto co-ordinates and entering these into the relevant boxes. Bearing in mind as I have already said this worked perfectly the first time.

Thanks again

Michael
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll rephrase the question.
You're inputting these co-ordinates as an OSGB grid reference for Ilford, Essex:
Quote:
East to 005103
North to 513331

but they aren't valid (they indicate somewhere else 500 miles away...).
So I was asking where you got them from and what made you think they were an OSGB grid reference. That way I hope we can work out what they are, and from that I may be able to suggest the best way to find them on the TomTom map.
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Barry

I am not sure what to say different. As I said I picked my address off of the TomTom map and took the readings entered in the goto co-ordinates box and entered them into your programme, this then gave me the co-ordinates I gave you. Have I missed something? I thought I had followed the instructions to the letter. I did this the first time with exactly the same readings and it took me to Ilford.

Thanks

Michael
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Sounds like the instructions didn't make complete sense, so at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, I'll try again below.
The point of my utility is that you can input a position in any of several different formats and convert it to the others, which in itself can be useful. If you have TomTom or (soon) OziExplorer, it can then also show that position on the map for you.
Personally I use it mainly when driving to input OS grid references from paper maps or guidebooks then show them in TomTom; and when walking/geocaching to input WGS84 latitude/longitudes in degrees & minutes and then show them in Ozi. Other permutations are obviously also possible.

When you display the Go to coordinates screen in TomTom, the values in the box are a WGS84 latitude and longitude in degrees, minutes and seconds. They are not an OS grid reference. The position being defined is the current map cursor position (the flashing grey circle that you see when you tap the map or use commands such as Show on Map) or, I assume, the centre of the map if there's no cursor flashing.

You could type those values into my utility, but only if you wanted to see them in another format, e.g. as decimal degrees, or to convert them into an OS grid reference. To do that, in the Format: drop-down list select option 5: WGS84 - D M S.S as your input format and then type the values in the boxes. Include N or S in the first latitude box, and E or W in the first longitude box (or if you don't you'll get N and E by default, which will work anywhere east of Greenwich and north of the Equator). Also be careful as TomTom's boxes are longitude then latitude, whereas everything else I know including my utility does it latitude then longitude.

I hope that lot contains in it somewhere the point you've missed. Please come back again if not.

Best wishes
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry

Thanks for sorting that out. I was hoping to use this utility to correct some POI's that were slighly out by converting the co-ordinates I had into the correct ones but obviously I had the wrong end of the stick & I can alwasy be told how to suck eggs!!

Thanks again

Michael
barryhunter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a coordinate converter on my website:

http://www.deformedweb.co.uk/trigs/coord.cgi

This will convert between OSGB36 (either Grid Reference or Easting/Northing) and WGS84 in lat long. It also accepts postcodes and will tell you the Grid Reference and Lat/Long of the Postcode. (thanks to the files from this site ;-) )

Another major feature of the page is that it provides direct links to a verity of mapping websites and point of interest searchs that I have found. (including some of my own :D )

Also for OSGB references (or coordinates it can convert to OSGB) it will also tell you the probable county (old and new style) and the exact Landranger and Explorer maps that cover the point.

Hope its of interest, barryhunter
dumbledore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Q. mainly for BarryD Reply with quote

I have come here from beginners section - how do you advanced guys get time to help all us newbies?

My need is to use UK NGR grid references. I have looked at your demo BarryD and need to clarify.

If I have TT latest on my PDA and your utility and am driving on the deepest country roads, I need to be able to enter as a "GOTO" a NGR, which may be off road, and "see" where I am in relation to it, so I can drive there.

The scenario is typical when following a hot air balloon. It comes down somewhere within a mile (or less if you are very good) of where you are and the pilot radios (when it works) his landing site as NGR.

Thanks again

any further advice anyone
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Q. mainly for BarryD Reply with quote

dumbledore wrote:
[...]
I have looked at your demo BarryD and need to clarify.

If I have TT latest on my PDA and your utility and am driving on the deepest country roads, I need to be able to enter as a "GOTO" a NGR, which may be off road, and "see" where I am in relation to it, so I can drive there.
[...]

If you have a GPS fix, your current position is shown in Map view by the blue arrow.

Use my utility with the balloon's grid ref. The map is now centred on the balloon and a flashing cursor marks its position. Zoom the map in and out using the slider. The map stays centred on the balloon and sooner or later the blue arrow will also be visible. You can now see your position relative to the balloon.

Now tap & hold on the map cursor (the balloon position) and select Navigate to... on the menu that pops up. TomTom plans a route to what it considers to be the nearest point on a road to the balloon.

Sadly, the one downside to all this is that I currently suspect my utility won't work with TomTom 5, as reviews of pre-release software suggest that it no longer provides a "Go to coordinates" screen. Fingers crossed that this feature (re)appears in time for the release version!
dumbledore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it - brilliant

thanks
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Q for any one with answers! Reply with quote

Any news if Barryd's excellent utility will work with TTN5?

New maps will be nice, but these maps will be of no use if I can no longer find where I want to go on the map!

Regards, Andrew
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but it looks like it won't work. And I'm not interested in spending $199 on the SDK to make it work "properly" either, I'm afraid. If the V5 SDK is affordable for hobbyists like me, then I'll think again. But I wouldn't hold your breath on that ...
ChrisDev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryhunter wrote:
I have a coordinate converter on my website:

http://www.deformedweb.co.uk/trigs/coord.cgi

This will convert between OSGB36 (either Grid Reference or Easting/Northing) and WGS84 in lat long. It also accepts postcodes and will tell you the Grid Reference and Lat/Long of the Postcode. (thanks to the files from this site ;-) )

Hi Barry,
I'm trying to convert lots (thousands) of postcodes into Long/Lat in order to update my Wireless Hotspot POI. Is there any way to use your website to do a batch conversion? Access to the cgi script or something along those lines....?

Chris
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Batch postcode to waypoint POI conversion Reply with quote

hi,

I've knocked up a site that will do postcode batches but it was never intended to do *thousands* 8O

How many are we talking about?

Can you split them into multiple smaller batch jobs? If not I could manage the batching myself with some modification of the code.
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW its still very *alpha* Confused
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS Speed Sentry shows OSGB grid reference based on your current GPS location.

Obviously you cant plug in coordinates to see the result but it will show you your current OSGB grid reference which may be useful while you out and about :D

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tchart/

Regards
Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: