Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN510 European Premium Edition Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN510 European Premium Edition Announced
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN510 European Premium Edition Announced Reply with quote

Navigating from Birmingham to Paris, Berlin, Milan and beyond has never been so easy with the new Navman iCN510 European Premium Edition which provides advanced mapping capabilities, with street-level navigation over a total of 16 European countries. Sit in your car, clip your device onto the windshield and drive away. Easily input your destination address on the 3.5-inch colour touchscreen for additional ease, the stylish remote control does the job for you!

The iCN510 leaves you to concentrate on the road, while guiding you to your desired destination using accurate and clear turn-by-turn voice instructions and various map views such as 3D topographical style maps, 2D map, or 2D mini-maps view, depending on your preference. The street-level mapping loaded onto the memory card will guide you to the smallest streets in Europe, so there’s no risk of ever getting lost again.

During your journey, if you’re tired, hungry or short on petrol, the million points-of-interest (POI) included will guide you in a few clicks to the nearest hotel, restaurant or filling station. The version 3.0 of Navman’s award-winning SmartST software, includes My POI, a feature that allows the user to easily import his or her own favourite points-of-interest.

If you have people to visit along your way, let the iCN510 do the job for you. The new software includes multi-stop routes, which enable the driver to navigate a journey via multiple destinations from A to B via C, D, E if necessary!

Thanks to its lightweight and sleek design, your iCN510 will fit perfectly in your pocket - take a plane, rent a car at the airport and navigate your way in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom.

The iCN510 comes with a windshield mounting bracket and 12V DC power adapter that connects to the vehicle’s cigarette lighter socket. Other accessories include mains power pack for use in-doors, along with a USB cable and a protective carry case.

The iCN510 European Premium Edition will be available from selected leading retailers and e-tailers including Halfords, John Lewis, PC World and Dixons from 499 GBP, inc VAT.
FrankSpencer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the review Dave,

This really beats me and here is why - where do they find the cheek to ask £500 for a product that is significantly inferiour to a Mitac Mio 269 whose RRP is only £400????
They either don't know their competition or they take us for dummies?

Btw, there is a model, Mitac Mio 268, which is an equivalent of the original Navman iCN 510 that costs £100 less as well??

few of the links:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=3198&category_id=17&pp_id=0

http://www.mio-tech.be/products/gps/269/default.asp?From=Topbanner

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5745.html

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17975

I was just about to buy the first edition Navman iCN510 ( after an extensive research) when i came across Mitac Mio 269 which is, i am told, due in the next couple weeks and i just couldn't believe the difference in price considering the specs comparison.

The Mio 269 has a 2.5 Gb hard drive (as opposed to Navman's 256MB or something?) with the Europian street maps already preloaded (if my memory serves me right it has 22 countries as opposed to Navman's 16) as well as the integrated MP3 player.
The mapping data is provided by Tele Atlas (the same as Navman) and the software by Navigon. The remote control is also included in the price as well as a bicycle mount!
The rest of the specs (chipset, processor, display, memory and resolution)are more or less the same.
Can't see the Navigon software being so inferiour to their ST V3 (if at all) to justify such a price difference since that is the only argument i can see them coming up with.

Hope i haven't missed something, just puzzled to the bone - I will, of course, eat my humble pie ... :D

Cheers
FS[/url]
ultravioletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

I think in this case 16 = 22 indeed. Navman does not count as countries Vatican, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Gibraltar etc. The coverage from here http://www.navman-europe.com/navstore/product_details.php?id=28 does match Navigon's coverage.

Another thing to note is that one of the most powerfull feature of Navigon (namely, TMC) is not available for Mio 26x.

But overall, I totally agree with you. I live on mainland, so it'll make sense for me to have pan-European maps. Navman separates me from (499 + 229) pounds - I don't dare to translate this in euros, yet Smile. Altough I find Navman's software much more good-looking than Navigon's, this does not justify the £350 difference...
ultravioletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I redid the maths. It's actually £328...

Cheers,
uv
FrankSpencer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uv,

thx for the input mate, i was actually wondering for a moment how they came up with 22 countries :D but wrote it off on my crappy geography Embarassed and i thought they might have included some of the Eastern Europian ones...

I don't quite get your maths on the price - the Navman is £500 and the Mio £400 , how do you get £328 difference?

Tbh i think i preffer the coloring of Navman's software too (although i guess it's a matter of perception) but that is only an insignificant detail that, in my mind, definately can't justify the huge price difference, besides - it might only be a personal prefference - for all they know, majority of folks preffer navigon's interface?...

If i remember properly someone told me that you can adjust the colours (or something like that) on navigon so if that is true that would cancel that point altogether.

But how about the 2.5Gb HD (which leaves you with around 700Mb free space for whatever you want it - mp3, cameras etc), that catapults it into Navman 650 territory ie £700! Then there's an mp3 player, fair enough, not everybody will find that ultra useful but nevertheless it is there.

Go figure... :D

cheers FS
ultravioletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I added the price of European map-upgrade to the price of the device, which, according to the description on their site: [quote](...) is sold with SmartST™ V3 software, street-level mapping for the country of purchase and major road base maps for Western Europe. Please Note: Street-level maps for additional countries can also be purchased but only as a Pan-European set.
(http://navman-mobile.com/product_details.php?id=AA005725)[quote]

However, to increase the confusion, I've found iCN 510 on a french site for sale with €482 (with French maps). In the same place, Mio 268 (with France) is €449 and Mio 269 is €649.

Anyway, it's good that competition leads to lower prices.

Cheers,
uv
ultravioletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see where I went wrong: the so-called "European Premium" edition will be available next week at the suggested retail price £499... I was still making the calculation accorind to the current proces on thier site...

Mea culpa...
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the new 'European Premium Edition' includes full european maps as opposed to just major roads. If this is the case as i paid the same £499.99 for my Navman 510 just pre xmas the least Navman could do is offer a free download of the full European maps. I appreciate things change but such a difference in a matter of weeks stinks. Excuse me if i am reading into this wrong Wink . Cheers
FrankSpencer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way i understand it is that this "new European Edition" is basically the same Navman iCN 510 (with exactly the same HD and everything else), the only difference is you get the "key" to download the EU maps from the CD - in which case you still need to buy the extra storage space and muck with installing the maps (if they fit into it, that is) which makes it ridiculously overpriced compared to Mio.
They couldn't even be bothered to add a bigger HD, never mind anything else, which effectively makes this "new European Edition" virtually the same current iCN 510 with addition of the currently optional EU maps Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

for whatever is worth... :D

cheers FS
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, No Republic of Ireland maps: Why?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
Strange, No Republic of Ireland maps: Why?

If the maps are the same as you get with the full unlock on a 'basic' 510, ROI is covered, but only major cities at street level, and interlinking roads. I suspect that it's an error on the part of Navman. Unfortunately, UK is often substituted when British Isles is what is actually meant.

A better description might be 'Full street mapping of Great Britain with lesser mapping of Ireland' but even that would exclude the Scottish Islands, Wight, Anglesey, etc..
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right there.

All too often, and quite wrongly, companies think the Republic of Ireland is included in the term United Kingdom.

I met a friend of a friend from the UK in the pub last night and he couldn't get over the fact that Ireland uses the Euro and wasn't part of the UK - he had not changed his money and tried to buy a pint with Sterling!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
I met a friend of a friend from the UK in the pub last night and he couldn't get over the fact that Ireland uses the Euro and wasn't part of the UK - he had not changed his money and tried to buy a pint with Sterling!

Perhaps part of the problem is that Ireland is both the name of the island and the shortened name of the country. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland the island; Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom so, so must Ireland be? And of course, Ireland the island is part of the British Isles so it must all be British. Confused? Me too!

Then again, there is the possibility that the followed logic is that as we don't need a passport to go there, we can't possibly need different money!

Anyway, what is really needed is for TeleAtlas to pull their collective fingers out and fully map the Emerald Isle.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I switched from Navman to CoPilot 5 - the Navteq maps for Ireland in 2004 are impressive (I would guess the coverage is at 80%) and at the end of 2005 it will be up to 100%.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
That's why I switched from Navman to CoPilot 5 - the Navteq maps for Ireland in 2004 are impressive (I would guess the coverage is at 80%) and at the end of 2005 it will be up to 100%.

If I lived in Ireland I'd probably get a NAVTEQ based map, too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: