Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SP1 - Positive! (List of Changes)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SP1 - Positive! (List of Changes)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SP1 - Positive! (List of Changes) Reply with quote

After my initial problems installing SP1, NavMan were d*mn prompt in e-mailing me the full .exe SP1 - which installed perfectly.

These are what I've noticed so far with SP1!

* The GPS Status screen, no longer has the counter moving in the bottom left when getting a fix - but does get much faster fixes for me now. (NavMan 3000 + 3630)

* The Red Line on routing now has little green arrows all over it, to indicate direction of travel

* The Dark green manoeuvre arrow, is not light green - and changes to dark green once you've moved over it

* I've travelled about 800 miles with SP1, and I haven't once been told to keep right on UK Motorways - finally I now know how long I'm going to be on the motorway for!

* Routing is VASTLY improved, it now takes the routes I know are quicker, instead of its rather annoying diversions

* Not sure if this is new, but you can double tap on the top information line on the routing screen, and it will automatically re-calculate the route for you (very useful!)

* Previously, numerous POI's couldn't be routed too, because they weren't on the road - i've tested some of these, and I seem to be able to set them as destinations now - instead of just getting an error

* New Speaking Lady takes some getting used to, especially when she says "at the roundabout" as she starts off speaking quietly, and the voice increases in volume. But is vastly improved, and seems to be able to output more accurate distances than just a few simple distance numbers

(You do have to choose the new voice from the setup, as it stayed with the old voice originally for me after the upgrade)

* When reaching a destination, you no longer have to reach the end of the red line before its officially the destination, she calls the destination about 100 feet before it now (roughly) and cancels your route, so SmartST isn't constantly re-routing you.

The above are my initial findings of SP1 - and so far I've been very impressed. My only major critisim of the Upgrade is I no longer know if anything is happening on the GPS Status screen (but GPS fixes are much improved).

Royalty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SP1 - Positive! (List of Changes) Reply with quote

Thanks SimonB - I agree on all as being a positive. One other thing I've noticed is that the voice seems to be much louder? Travelling at 70+mph on the motorway with the radio on and I can hear the voice instructions more clearly than before.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

Yes definately, I've had to turn the volume down some considerable amount when travelling around built-up areas.

Also when finding road names etc, it seems to query the lists somewhat quicker.

Richard
Occasional Visitor

Quote: * Not sure if this is new, but you can double tap on the top information line on the routing screen, and it will automatically re-calculate the route for you (very useful!)

How did you get it to do this? I couldn't get it to do anything clicking on the top line in the navigation display.

Quote: * When reaching a destination, you no longer have to reach the end of the red line before its officially the destination, she calls the destination about 100 feet before it now (roughly) and cancels your route, so SmartST isn't constantly re-routing you.

Am I the only one to find this slightly annoying? Previously after a destination had been reached you could leave the unit in 'heads up' display by selecting the navigation screen. Now it cancels the route automatically which means you can no longer select that screen, it just comes up no route selected.

BigH
Regular Visitor

Yep, I tried the tapping and recalc and it worked!!

I wonder what other hidden undocumented gems are yet to be uncovered.
Richard
Occasional Visitor

I tried again this morning and the double tapping worked fine!
SimonB
Regular Visitor

Richard,

Glad it worked for you, i've been using the feature quite considerably today, as NavMan wanted to get me to destination by using the Motorway. So it was constantly trying to get me back to the Motorway - quick double tap on the Navigation Bar, and it recalculated the route from where I was then and took me the way I wanted I go! - I like this new feature!

Also, in relation to it cancelling the route - I was having problems with the way it was before as I work in Education Establishments all over the country, and as these places don't have numbers I just had to Navigate to the street then drive along it till I found the place - but constantly had NavMan re-routing me to the beginning of the street all the time.

Or I'd get to the destination prior to where NavMan thought it was, so I never heard the lady tell me i'd reached my destination - very trivial I know.

I can see why it might not be the best of features to be removed in some instances - maybe NavMan can put an option in the Setup Screen? - As I'm sure thats the sort of thing the setup screens for!?!

Richard
Occasional Visitor

If the unit had the option to be able to switch to a 'heads up' display normally and not just when a route is entered then we'd both be happy. I don't like the standard display where it always has north facing upwards and doesn't adjust the zoom related to your speed like the navigation screen (and also your position is not always centered). Previously you could switch to that screen even after the destination had been reached as it didn't cancel the route.

On my normal drive to work this morning the couple of peculiarities in the routing which I normally see have been fixed which is great.
SimonB
Regular Visitor

Another feature I've noticed - in the 'Recent' List it now displays the POI that you've visited instead of just the road name!

kartracer
Frequent Visitor

With reference to this double tapping to recalculate the route. Can anyone tell me why they feel it is an advantage to not just have Automatic Rerouting turned on?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Kam,

Automatic rerouting isn't the same as recalculating the route from scratch, I believe. With auto rerouting it appears to try quite hard to get you back onto the originally set route; sometimes it has wanted me to backtrack up to four or five miles to do this. Recalculating from scratch appears to erase the original route and therefore doesn't have this backtracking effect.

kartracer
Frequent Visitor

Tim,

I have found the automatic rerouting to recalculate almost immediately. For instance there is one journey I regularily make for which I take either 1 of 2 routes depending upon traffic. Navman initially selects my preferred route but, if I turn the other way when the routes diverge, it recalculates and selects the alternative route within a couple of hundred metres of the split point.
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

Going and coming back from Gt Yarmouth I had to cancel destination and reinstruct it as it was trying to take me all over the place. Once I stopped, put in my destination again it seemed OK but it happened both going to and coming back from. Auto-rteroute didn't seem to work nor did the double tap on the screen.

Otherwise its fine but there should be more preferrences for roads / motorways etc.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

I think we all experience that. What is strange is that often if you plot a route from A to B using the map screen (i.e. no fix) and examine the route everything looks OK. But even if you follow the route exactly it tries to take you off route. I think it must be doing some recalculation even though theoretically it shouldn't as you haven't deviated from the original route. As someone in one of the other threads said it seems to happen most at junctions in particular where roads run above or below the road your travelling on.

Mark Bennett
Occasional Visitor

Actually, I think the automatic cancellation of route when the destination is reached is a disaster.

The feature (in the original release) was BRILLIANT when I found myself in a busy city center, routing to a Hotel, but being unable to park/find anywhere to park. I was able to "go around" 3 or 4 times - with the software automatically re-routing me back to my original destination via all the one-way streets, or being taken off in directions I did not want to go by the traffic flow, all without the worry of having to remember how to try and get back to my destination!

This was fantastic and I could not stop telling friends what a good feature it was! Now it's gone...

A retrograde step from my point of view.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: