Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissyC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palm compatibility...

c'mon Memory Map Sad
Nolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Nolo wrote:
I'd like Pocket Navigator to be able to record tracks or "breadcrumbs". That would just about make it complete for me.

As far as I know it already does this. It certainly does on all the versions I have used.

Mike, can you tell me how to do this, I've scoured the help file and menus, but I'm missing it. I'd greatly appreciate it.

On the elevation issue, I meant third party data, but I have to say the 3-D view is so impressive I just might break down and spend the $$ for the California maps.

Thanks again
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found that track recording is active by default.

What version of Pocket Navigator are you using? There should probably be an option to make the recorded track visible using menu->overlay->list then select Track. You should find a list of recorded tracks there. It may be that somehow the ACTIVE TRACK is not marked as visible.
Nolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
There should probably be an option to make the recorded track visible using menu->overlay->list then select Track. You should find a list of recorded tracks there. It may be that somehow the ACTIVE TRACK is not marked as visible.

Ahhh, right you are, Mike. There is a checkbox to make the track active. I'm not sure if the track is created by default, or if I have to do Overlay->Create->Track to get it started. One way or another it will do what I want.

Many thanks for your help.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Nolo wrote:
I'd like Pocket Navigator to be able to record tracks or "breadcrumbs". That would just about make it complete for me.

As far as I know it already does this. It certainly does on all the versions I have used.

Thought you would use the camera on your mobile phone to record the 'Breadcrumbs' you feed the bird with on route!!!

What are 'Breadcrumbs'

What I would like to see is

1. A 'Record/stop' button in the corner of the screen which would, when tapped, start track recording (offering a chose of 'from last known GPS position/ new track from here') then change to a stop button which when tapped would stop the recording.

This would allow us to make a series of unlinked tracks or one long one (joined from last known GPS position by a straight line allowing us to detour off the planned route [into local pub then later behind a bush for nature calls] without them being recorded). This is because when I went into a building the GPS lost position & jumped to 0,0 & back again when I came out making a gentle 5.6 mile walk a 7,000plus ordeal.

2. The ability to increase the width (& change of colour if not already there) of the recorded track line to help make the track 'stand out' from the detail.

3. A 'Lock/Unlock Screen' button which would ignore screen taps in all but one location (the button) to help stop unwanted actions taking place if the screen is knocked by accident. I don't know if this would even be posible.
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the route standing out - I met up with a rep. from Memory Map a few weeks and got talking. I had a little whinge about a lot of things, but he did say that they are working on MM highlighting the route better.

Some magazines are using their software and have to import the graphical output first and use DTP software to alter the route to stand out. I think Tracklogs already does and they are feeling left out.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started testing the Garmin Forerunner 301 with memory-map. One of the features I would like to see changed is the integration of the Profiles into a single window.

That way you can see the speed, elevation, altitude and heartrate altogether.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would like to see is a screen toggle/blanker (Mio 168 mp3 player function). I use this to blank out the screen to conserve battery power (brief press on power button restores display) but as it is in mp3 player I have to switch back & forth between mp3 player & MM.

Is this a feature available on ALL ppcs or just the Mio 168?
rodger1331
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Waypoint SElection Reply with quote

I know that not everbody flys aeroplanes but quite a number of people do these days and Memory Map use this fact in their advertising.

I was recently using Memory Map and the UK CAA VFR charts while flying and trying to select a mark or waypoint from the chart for the GPS to follow is almost imposible on a PDA.

The symbol is far to small to select easily and as far as i can see its the only way that I have found to get a GPS to direct you to the point you select.

It would be much simpler, easier and SAFER to select the desitination from a pull down list rather than from the chart.

In most GPS units I have used in the past, you select the "Go To" function first followed by the destination, which is usually selected from a pull down list, or use the "Follow Route" followed by the route selection again from a pull down list. You dont have to zoom, pan, zoom, pan, zoom, pan etc etc to select a destination.

Memory Map seems to have this operation about face and having tried this for real while in the air, I am very diapointed with the software, in fact at times it is almost dangerouse to try and operate the functions safely.

Has anybody else found dissatisfaction this method of point selection, If the people from Memory Map read this forum I would be interested in their comments, and if I have got this all wrong because I'm missing something then I would appreciate someone enlighting me to the errors of my ways.

Regards
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not plan your route before you start flying?
rodger1331
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm - From your reply I guess that you don't fly light aircraft.

Flight planning IS done in advance but if you need to divert due to bad weather etc you need to be able to quickly identify a safe destination and start your diversion early.

If your in a high stress situation, the last thing you want, is to try and make a pinpoint selection from a map after trying to scroll or zoom to display your destination. If your in turbulance being bounced around its almost impossible.

Remember its not like Hill Walking or Driving a Car, you cannot pull over to the side of the road or sit down to sort the situation out.

In an ideal world everything would go to plan with nice weather and excellent visibility and calm conditions, unfortunately thats about as rare as Parrots Teeth in the UK.

Regards
Greymane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory-Map does check this forum and are looking for a good solution to your problem, Rodger1331. Some ideas are being bounced around.
chaosuk83
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

height limits and weight limits on roads would be good - hope noone has suggested this yet, but i just got home and have a migraine coming on so i am posting this and then going off for tonight Confused
c2R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Dell Axim, and use memory map when out walking in the hills, firstly to log my tracks, but secondly as a navigation device.

What I would like to see is the ability to program a button to turn on / off backlight to the display - mainly because in wintertime, it's difficult to press the power button for the right length of time to light the display or turn off the device, so I prefer not to use the standard pocket pc functionality!
findeep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. The ability to increase the width (& change of colour if not already there) of the recorded track line to help make the track 'stand out' from the detail.

I agree with the above, it would also be good if you could create a shaded polygon to mark out an irregular area. Ability to import elevation data from geotiff format would be good. I think somebody has already mentioned this but, the ability to look around in 3d view would be excellent and for my own particular needs the ability to define a flooded area.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: